antovolk

Mufasa: The Lion King | December 20, 2024 | Barry Jenkins | Prequel to Favreau's CGI Version

Someone has no time of day for the haters, it would seem:

(whole buncha video links follow which I won't repeat)

Do have to agree with Jenkins that people projecting their distaste over Disney on to him by saying "he's too good for this" ain't exactly a good look and saying "The Barry Jenkins I interviewed years ago wouldn't have said that [about Disney]" is an extremely bad look.

Doesn't mean that this will actually be good, mind.  But does seem to be a project he's really invested in and that ought to count for something.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

It's an easy 230 mil US/650 mil WW given the value of the IP, but I'm iffy on more than that given the level of competition. I've seen plenty of sequels decline rapidly from their precursors as of late.

Once again, how good it is will have a major impact. Oh, it will hav e a huge opening, but if it not very good, then it will have a big drop.

44 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Do have to agree with Jenkins that people projecting their distaste over Disney on to him by saying "he's too good for this" ain't exactly a good look and saying "The Barry Jenkins I interviewed years ago wouldn't have said that [about Disney]" is an extremely bad look.

Doesn't mean that this will actually be good, mind.  But does seem to be a project he's really invested in and that ought to count for something.

Good that he stood up for his work here. I never liked the lion king or the remake. But I always thought Jenkins was a cool choice and I think the angle he found ( inspired by Godfather 2) shows he's trying here. Unlike the remake that Disney put out

I never thought he was doing this just for the paycheck, that troll clearly didn't know him that well if he believed Barry would think this "beneath" him. 

Barry handled this as well as he could but I hope he has in fact learned that he should resist engaging with hate, otherwise all the trades are gonna write an article about it and blow it all out of proportion.

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Always knew Barry was a legend!

The "parents not even pretending to hide their disappointment as to how their children turned out" energy that tends to be common whenever it's announced that indie/prestigious filmmakers "sell themselves out" to make these movies (this is not just limited to Disney projects, this goes with almost every time an acclaimed small budget filmmaker goes the "big budget studio IP movie" route) has always come off as the definition of Trying It, even if most of the time it's largely just for the lolz.

I appreciate this but at the end of the day, Disney has to make this - and most  of - their movies palatable to the largest audience.

I will give them a sliver of credit that they haven't really sanitized TLK retroactively and still keep the slightly more serious tone.

(Haven't seen 2019 but did watch a fair bit of Lion Guard)

4 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I appreciate this but at the end of the day, Disney has to make this - and most  of - their movies palatable to the largest audience.

I will give them a sliver of credit that they haven't really sanitized TLK retroactively and still keep the slightly more serious tone.

The Lion King 2019 isn't sanitized but it does suck.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you follow Jenkins' Twitter he's very much a guy who just loves movies, in all their forms. He may have made serious R rated dramas before but he's clearly an unbridled optimist at his core and as enthusiastic about being a team player on a big family franchise IP as he is making grim personal stories about racism and sexual awakening.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Morieris said:

We have never seen director(s) who come from a more prestige background stand up for when they work on a bigger film like this. Especially at Disney.

Don’t take this too seriously, i know people have many reasons to be skeptical of fucking Disney in 2024 

With that said, it’s so weird how pretty much every movie made by women, LGBT+ people or black people have to be defended by it’s directors before anyone even see them. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Don’t take this too seriously, i know people have many reasons to be skeptical of fucking Disney in 2024 

With that said, it’s so weird how pretty much every movie made by women, LGBT+ people or black people have to be defended by it’s directors before anyone even see them. 

I mean what was said here that he was defending his movie against wasn't all that different from what a lot of people have said about every previous live action reimagining. Their directors just didn't happen to be actively promoting it on Twitter and presumably either never saw the vitriol or tuned it out.

He really didn't "have" to defend it. He chose to. Which is fine and I think was a necessary reminder of the humanity behind these movies, but I don't think we need to go the political angle with this yet. 

Edited by AniNate

I wouldn’t dare try to dispute the idea that Barry Jenkins is genuinely passionate about The Lion King, but I’m fairly certain that Disney hiring was mainly so they could have a prestigious name (“From Academy Award Winner Barry Jenkins”) attached to this project than anything else. No matter how much personality Jenkins may want to insert into the film, he’ll still have to follow the usual Disney notes. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I mean what was said here that he was defending his movie against wasn't all that different from what a lot of people have said about every previous live action reimagining. Their directors just didn't happen to be actively promoting it on Twitter and presumably either never saw the vitriol or tuned it out.

He really didn't "have" to defend it. He chose to. Which is fine and I think was a necessary reminder of the humanity behind these movies, but I don't think we need to go the political angle with this yet. 

Definitely, is just the accusatory tone that sits somewhat wrong to me and seems to happens more frequently in these cases.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think Barry's looking to engage with flame wars on social media. He just wanted to call out the people who acted like he was above this (in particular that one dude who was like "the Jenkins I interviewed years ago would've never sold out like this"...fool you only interviewed him once, you didn't become BFFs all of a sudden) and how fake the snobby attitude towards movies like this from certain corners truly is (something that doesn't happen often enough tbh). What is this, Mean Girls: Cineaste Edition? Come on.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

The film will do well no matter what, but i think it will have to be a good film, with something new to the table not just a retread of the original film, for it to make the kind of numbers some here are talking about.

6 hours ago, Reddroast said:

Good that he stood up for his work here. I never liked the lion king or the remake. But I always thought Jenkins was a cool choice and I think the angle he found ( inspired by Godfather 2) shows he's trying here. Unlike the remake that Disney put out

excuse me?

• Astonished 1

I know that "The characters look bland and are devoid of life" is almost a tired complaint about Lion King 2019 at this point, but boooooy did this trailer fall flat for me because of this fact. The trailer uses Mufasa's appearance like some kind of exciting reveal that should garner applause, but he just looks like a regular lion. Frankly I can't tell the difference between him and adult Simba, and they barely looked different than Scar. The visual blandness and similarity between characters is as huge issue here.