antovolk

Mufasa: The Lion King | December 20, 2024 | Barry Jenkins | Prequel to Favreau's CGI Version

Does this mean "Sonic 3" will move out of this slot.  I mean it will clearly have to fight for Families against a Juggernaut like "The Lion King".   Regardless of how the critics or fans of the original feel.  Disney had 1.6 Billion reasons to do this sequel.   It's also been 5 years since the last one and this is the 30th Anniversary of the original.  The timing is right for another gangbuster performance.    Of course this is Post-Covid so 1.6 Billion again will be hard.  "Avatar 2" even dropped as good as it did.   But over a Billion is definitely a lock with Christmas and New Years to clean up. 

35 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I hear ya. I think the difference to me is that this has more of a blank canvass to paint an original idea, whereas those two films were still working to check certain boxes. Also, respect to Zhao and the always dependable Mangold, but I put Jenkins a level above tbh. Moonlight is probably the most recent film released that is legitimately factored into "greatest movie ever" debates - it was the consensus critics pick for movie of the decade, and it's not like Beale Street and Underground Railroad were heaters in their own way.

Agree with everything here. And to be fair, there's plenty of great directors who have found their voice and talent in the Disney meddling (Gunn, Coogler, kind of Taika and kinda not). I'd even say Aladdin and Cruella are the better of these remakes, in part because the more annoying aspects of their directors was sanded off. This could very well be the case here. Still, it's hard not for me to be at least a little skeptical and not think that Jenkins' talents couldn't be used on a more interesting project than a prequel to a remake nobody liked.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Does this mean "Sonic 3" will move out of this slot.  I mean it will clearly have to fight for Families against a Juggernaut like "The Lion King".   Regardless of how the critics or fans of the original feel.  Disney had 1.6 Billion reasons to do this sequel.   It's also been 5 years since the last one and this is the 30th Anniversary of the original.  The timing is right for another gangbuster performance.    Of course this is Post-Covid so 1.6 Billion again will be hard.  "Avatar 2" even dropped as good as it did.   But over a Billion is definitely a lock with Christmas and New Years to clean up. 

No?

It's shaping up to be another Christmas season where everyone splits the holiday money and goes away mostly satisfied...

A super, a gamer movie, and an animated musical...pretty much the only thing left to schedule is the Oscar dramas...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eric Duncan said:

Agree with everything here. And to be fair, there's plenty of great directors who have found their voice and talent in the Disney meddling (Gunn, Coogler, kind of Taika and kinda not). I'd even say Aladdin and Cruella are the better of these in part because the more annoying aspects of their directors was sanded off. This could very well be the case here. Still, it's hard not for me to be at least a little skeptical and not think that Jenkins' talents couldn't be used on a more interesting project than a prequel to a remake nobody liked.

Oh trust me I'd much rather Barry be doing something else with his time lol. I just don't think he's slumming it to make a total piece of shit either.

16 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Nah. Sonic is different enough in terms of audience that it won’t crossover too much. And if there’s any time of the year where a bunch of hits can coexist, it’s Christmas. Besides, at least domestically, Sonic is probably gonna be the victor.

18 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Does this mean "Sonic 3" will move out of this slot.

Wouldn't be a surprise. Guess it all depends on Paramount's financial situation in the coming months as they prepare to be bought (it's inevitable, might as well move to the "acceptance" stage already).

17 minutes ago, Eric Duncan said:

Agree with everything here. And to be fair, there's plenty of great directors who have found their voice and talent in the Disney meddling (Gunn, Coogler, kind of Taika and kinda not). I'd even say Aladdin and Cruella are the better of these remakes, in part because the more annoying aspects of their directors was sanded off. This could very well be the case here. Still, it's hard not for me to be at least a little skeptical and not think that Jenkins' talents couldn't be used on a more interesting project than a prequel to a remake nobody liked.

I think the best thing going on for Jenkins is that nobody expects anything from a prequel and people online hated the Favreau one. 

Just a decent movie with more personality should be enough to be seen as a surprise.  Hoping he can take something good out of this, he doesn’t deserve a panned thing hurting his reputation.

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm somewhat expecting Sonic 3 to end up pivoting to next year if Paramount doesn't start promoting it in time for IF tbh. The kind of movie that makes the same amount of money at any time of the year and next spring is looking a bit on the light side, they should go for Easter weekend (April 18 next year) as a non-controversial piece of counterprogramming to the total wild card that is Michael.

I still think it's so odd that's in December. I get the logic behind it but Dec is looking crowded. if next April is free, the first week or so like for 2/SMB...

I think you do get a bit of a hint of the introspective moodiness in the trailer that has defined Jenkins' indie work, but it largely looks like same ol overdone Disney blockbuster. Still think it should have no problem drawing families for the holiday season.

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

So were Zimmer/Britell/Pharrell just completely dropped? Disappointed this won't have that wild tandem

Wikipedia says they’re still on it. It could be like the OG Lion King where Elton just wrote the songs and Hans did the instrumentals,

19 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I still think it's so odd that's in December. I get the logic behind it but Dec is looking crowded. if next April is free, the first week or so like for 2/SMB...

December doesn't look that crowded, though. It actually looks relatively empty. But again, I'm totally underestimating Kraven and the LotR anime.

4 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I’m very confused at people thinking this looks worse than 2019 movie? 

People complained 2019 movie was too hyper realistic, they fixed that to extent here 

this looks a lot better visually and lively 

The problem is that the basic visual style here is still photorealism. There is some stylistically interesting stuff compared to the last film but it just looks like straight up uncanny valley now. Going for a complete visual overhaul would've been the only movie imo.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I’m very confused at people thinking this looks worse than 2019 movie? 

People complained 2019 movie was too hyper realistic, they fixed that to extent here 

this looks a lot better visually and lively 

I mean, someone has also said this film is ruined because Scar and Mufasa are no longer blood brothers, so I don't think everyone is coming at this film from an objective standpoint.

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

So were Zimmer/Britell/Pharrell just completely dropped? Disappointed this won't have that wild tandem

Those three are probably still doing the score... Lin Manuel Miranda has always only done the songs while someone else does the score.

(I'm guessing Zimmer and Williams' involvement is pretty small and that Britell is primarily doing the score.)

Edited by harrisonisdead

6 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, someone has also said this film is ruined because Scar and Mufasa are no longer blood brothers, so I don't think everyone is coming at this film from an objective standpoint.

I didn’t say the film is ruined because of that. I just said I don’t understand the point of it. 

• Like 1