antovolk

Mufasa: The Lion King | December 20, 2024 | Barry Jenkins | Prequel to Favreau's CGI Version

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I didn’t say the film is ruined because of that. I just said I don’t understand the point of it. 

I agree. Your comment wasn't the one I was referring to. It was one about Disney ruining yet another film's legacy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Everything that Lin-Manual Miranda has touched except for Moana turns into shit. 

Let’s not pretend that Encanto isn’t popular.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Minnale101 said:

I’m very confused at people thinking this looks worse than 2019 movie? 

People complained 2019 movie was too hyper realistic, they fixed that to extent here 

this looks a lot better visually and lively 

Yeah I've only seen bits and pieces on television of 2019; This looks a bit more lively, and being a new story makes me more lenient.

• Like 1

Idk if it’s because of smb success last year but sonic is sonic it’s got its hardcore fanbase but its anywhere near as big as Mario 

to think its gonna make some gigantic leap from second one is unrealistic 

this may not have same nostalgia as lion but everyone knows who musfasa is 

This is coming from someone will watch sonic 3 in threaters 

I'm not sure I like Disneys approach of cutting down on budgets for sequels. I know, some of those are just Disney Plus, but movies like Disenchanted just looked pretty bad and you literally feel the missing millions in terms of budget. 

Disney used to be quality, now it's bringing pretty much everythin to the screen. Can't wait or the downgraded looks in Moana 2s series to movie adaption...

Not gonna be too judgmental based on the trailer visuals but the story sounds pretty stupid.

"Taka" (a name that means "trash") was somehow the chosen one? Mufasa was somehow from the lion equivalent of poverty row (which doesn't exist for lions)? Even Scar's speech from Lion King always made it sound like MUFASA was always viewed as "above Scar" his entire life. An actual villain origin for Scar where HE had a life of misery and resentment he had secretly concealed from Mufasa sounds much more like the actual backstory of Scar than "Dusty Rhodes lion ruined my life, the movie".

• Haha 1

Scar is the bad guy in the original movie, I don't know if we can trust his viewpoint.

Hell, even if we could, I can see this story ending up as "It doesn't matter where you come from, but who you grow to be", as being nobility doesn't mean you're good, and being orphaned doesn't mean you're bad or something.

8 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Not gonna be too judgmental based on the trailer visuals but the story sounds pretty stupid.

"Taka" (a name that means "trash") was somehow the chosen one? Mufasa was somehow from the lion equivalent of poverty row (which doesn't exist for lions)? Even Scar's speech from Lion King always made it sound like MUFASA was always viewed as "above Scar" his entire life. An actual villain origin for Scar where HE had a life of misery and resentment he had secretly concealed from Mufasa sounds much more like the actual backstory of Scar than "Dusty Rhodes lion ruined my life, the movie".

Would that make Simba Cody?

• Haha 1

As for trailers… that was a great trailer. Zero doubt the movie will be absolutely horrible like the 2019 version. However it will make lots of cash. Any notion of Sonic beating this is crazy. Both movies will do well but this will easily be the biggest grosser during Christmas

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I get the sense people on here really don't get how popular Sonic is.

Guess they'll have to learn the hard way.

No, we all know how popular he is. Sonic 3 can make about 400-500M. The Lion King even with 2% on RT will clear that. We all know how popular sonic is, but that hasn’t and won’t translate to a box office juggernaut. TLK is just superior.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

high quality GIF

Maybe it's because I was young at the time, but Scar and Mufasa being brothers was never a plot point  thought about. They looks absolutely different from one another, and they never acted like brothers, even in the original animated film. I thought the interesting part was that he killed Mufasa as Simba watched him do it.

Yeah, they're obviously brothers but there's just no Mufasa-Scar relationship (it's all mediated by Zazu) so it doesn't center itself in your mind and the multiple attempts the film makes to talk about Simba's lineage just completely ignore Scar. Zazu's pretty much the reason Scar has to be his brother because the other tropey position he could take is as a grand vizier. 

• Thanks 1

For whatever reason, the "he came from the bottom, watch him become king" pitch just doesn't feel right for Mufasa as it doesn't really hang onto anything in the actual Disney film (not that this stopped Joker from breaking out). 

I really wonder if there's a meta layer to this where Disney creatives are too aware of lazy criticism of Disney films? This really would be an attempt to settle the political readings of Lion King by refashioning the polity as one based on merit (which reorients the film's focus from the king to the kingdom. 

You see this in the trend of "Disney animated movies rebelling against previous tropes" whether it be replacing big bads with internal struggles or an intentional attempt to deny the need for a love interest for self actualization (or the adventure movie strange world's rejection of a spirit of adventure, including striving to conquer or harmonize with nature).

38 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I get the sense people on here really don't get how popular Sonic is.

Guess they'll have to learn the hard way.

I think everyone agrees it's popular, but the last film made ~$191 million domestically. It barely did better than Puss in Boots. I just don't see how the third film will break out in a way the two films before it couldn't. 

• Like 4