antovolk

Mufasa: The Lion King | December 20, 2024 | Barry Jenkins | Prequel to Favreau's CGI Version

3 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

... I guess? I'm gonna be honest, I always thought them being brothers was one of the most unbelievable aspects of the film, and them being non-biological brothers would make a lot more sense.

But also, the original was a film where one of the characters literally sings the Small World ride music and a meercat dresses up and does the hula as a joke.

The film's legacy was its animation and music, not the fact that Scar and Mufasa were brothers. 

Why would it be unrealistic? Lions don't mate for life.

Looks better and more interesting than the last piece of trash.

Why are people acting like Barry Jenkins is some idiot without agency who had to make this because he wasn't able to do his own projects or something? Maybe he really wanted to do this and we should have some modicum of faith in a guy generally considered to be a transcendent talent?

• Like 1

All this handwringing over whether Mufasa and Scar were biologically related while I'm taking Mufasa's parents being voiced by Anika Noni Rose and Keith David as confirmation that Barry Jenkins is a Princess & the Frog fan. :wub:

• Like 1

I couldn't stand the LK remake, so will be giving this a pass.

Instead I will be watching Jim Carrey overact against a cartoon hedgehog for the third time.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 2

I think this looks good! I am a huge nature doc fan and also love anything cat related so I'll be there. 

As for the box office, I think the Christmas release is going to help this film a ton to help deflate the drop from the first film. 

4 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Why would it be unrealistic? Lions don't mate for life.

I just thought their character designs were so different from one another, them being brothers was never something I thought about.

But also, I came across this article from 2017, and even the original directors never saw Scar and Mufasa as blood-related: https://www.glamour.com/story/mufasa-scar-not-actually-brothers-in-the-lion-king

8 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Why are people acting like Barry Jenkins is some idiot without agency who had to make this because he wasn't able to do his own projects or something? Maybe he really wanted to do this and we should have some modicum of faith in a guy generally considered to be a transcendent talent?

I’m sure Barry is passionate about the idea and I get why he would want to do it. Being able to give your own spin on a movie you love is a great idea on paper. But Disney isn’t really the place where autuerist visions really shine. Like I remember people were thinking Eternals would be an all-time classic because it had Chloe Zhao. People thought James Mangold would bring something new to Indiana Jones, and he didn’t. And while these remakes usually go with boring journeymen, the few times they have don’t really translate. Like does Aladdin or Cruella really feel like a Ritchie or Gillespie movie?

Could still be good! I hope it’s good. But  Disney meddling and their history makes me think otherwise. I dunno.

• Like 1

This looks a bit more cartoonish (which is a great decision tbh), also liked some of the more stylized shots here and there. 

At least the trailer seems to have more personality than the Favreau one. 

Let’s see, i don’t think it will drop like Alice 2. The date alone will prevent that, and TLK was well liked by audiences, i doubt families hate that enough to skip this in Christmas. 

300-ish DOM and ~1B WW seems reasonable to me

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Yep. Leave it to modern-day Disney, who've completely lost the plot, to miss the whole point of what made Scar's betrayal of Mufasa so dark and interesting in the original TLK. He does that to his own brother. Way to rob that scene of all its potency by revealing they're not blood brothers. Then again, this movie will be forgotten as quickly as the CG remake from a few years ago, while the 1994 classic will continue to stand tall. This will be the tree that fell in the forrest but no one remembers that it did. 

Not only that, but the fact that Scar was so eager to kill his own nephew when he was just a cub further served to highlight his cruelty. 

2 minutes ago, Eric Duncan said:

I’m sure Barry is passionate about the idea and I get why he would want to do it. Being able to give your own spin on a movie you loveI is a great idea on paper. But Disney isn’t really the place where autuerist visions really shine. Like I remember people were thinking Eternals would be an all-time classic because it had Chloe Zhao. People thought James Mangold would bring something new to Indiana Jones, and he didn’t. And while these remakes usually go with boring journeymen, the few times they have don’t really translate. Like does Aladdin or Cruella really feel like a Ritchie or Gillespie movie?

Could still be good! I hope it’s good. But  Disney meddling and their history makes me think otherwise. I dunno.

I hear ya. I think the difference to me is that this has more of a blank canvass to paint an original idea, whereas those two films were still working to check certain boxes. Also, respect to Zhao and the always dependable Mangold, but I put Jenkins a level above tbh. Moonlight is probably the most recent film released that is legitimately factored into "greatest movie ever" debates - it was the consensus critics pick for movie of the decade, and it's not like Beale Street and Underground Railroad were heaters in their own way.

• Like 1

I'm somewhat expecting Sonic 3 to end up pivoting to next year if Paramount doesn't start promoting it in time for IF tbh. The kind of movie that makes the same amount of money at any time of the year and next spring is looking a bit on the light side, they should go for Easter weekend (April 18 next year) as a non-controversial piece of counterprogramming to the total wild card that is Michael.

I'm very curious how this will perform against Sonic 3. I genuinely don't understand their appeal, but the second film made $40 million more domestically than the first. That said, I don't understand how The Lion King made $543 million domestically, either.

Also, December looks empty right now, so I wouldn't be surprised at least one film moves to Christmas to threaten both this film and Sonic 3.

31 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I would feel better about Jenkin’s autonomy under any other branch of Disney including both Star Wars and Marvel but I do suspect at least it’ll be better than the 2019 movie.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1

I do agree w the ppl saying this looks better than the last piece of trash 

at least we don't know every beat of the story 

and it does look a little less heinous than the last one 

basically whatever distance there is  between this and the beloved and visually stunning 1994 one is helping this one 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm somewhat expecting Sonic 3 to end up pivoting to next year if Paramount doesn't start promoting it in time for IF tbh. The kind of movie that makes the same amount of money at any time of the year and next spring is looking a bit on the light side, they should go for Easter weekend (April 18 next year) as a non-controversial piece of counterprogramming to the total wild card that is Michael.

It really depends how much influence Knuckles' Paramount+ performance has on the future of the franchise. It doesn't seem to be extremely well-received, so who knows?

Also, right now, Sonic 3 and Mufasa stand alone for the pre-Christmas release spot. If it moves, December will be bleak, because we all know the LotR anime movie is a wildcard, and Kraven will be awful!