TMP

Napoleon | Sony/Apple | November 22, 2023 | Joaquin Phoenix is Napoleon | Ridley Scott

I am not sure if TGM has kicked off the production or behind-the-scene marketing trend. Ever since TGM , I realised more movies has since used behind-the-scene material as one of the marketing material , leading up to the release. Barbie dreamhouse being one of the most successful example.  

They wanna show the production values. It makes sense as a marketing tool for big movies that are not 90% in front of a green screen. Even Avatar 2 that is 99% vfx wanted to showcase the groundbreaking tech and the tanks of water they used to capture the pre-render footage.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Joel M said:

They wanna show the production values. It makes sense as a marketing tool for big movies that are not 90% in front of a green screen. Even Avatar 2 that is 99% vfx wanted to showcase the groundbreaking tech and the tanks of water they used to capture the pre-render footage.

yeah those actors swimming around in tanks with dots on their faces, exciting stuff

50 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I am not sure if TGM has kicked off the production or behind-the-scene marketing trend. Ever since TGM , I realised more movies has since used behind-the-scene material as one of the marketing material , leading up to the release. Barbie dreamhouse being one of the most successful example.  

I remember I kept seeing a trailer for 1917 that was Sam Mendes and Roger Deakins talking about the "one shot" thing with BTS footage.

53 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Feel like this kind of BTS has been a selling point for a while. Like Force Awakens had a Comic-Con BTS reel that was basically "WOW WE'RE USING PRACTICAL EFFECTS WE'RE SO COOL"

7 hours ago, Joel M said:

I know you say it ironically but it kinda is.

Yeah, indeed. And many try to belittle the VFX artist contribution by emphasizing just how "practical" they are, totally adding the misery of thousand already underpaid and underprivileged VFX artist . Except Avatar didn't try to shy away from that but instead double down to showcase their awesome and hardworking VFX workers.   

42 minutes ago, Eric MacNeil said:

lol it's Kingdom of Heaven all over again.

Smart move. At a time when it is damm near impossible to even get the target audience to the theater tell them the better version will be availiable to watch at home at your own leisure soon after. 

36 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Smart move. At a time when it is damm near impossible to even get the target audience to the theater tell them the better version will be availiable to watch at home at your own leisure soon after. 

Boomers will return to theaters for Passion of the Christ 2 in droves. The biggest numbers amongst boomers since Top Gun: Maverick.