TMP

Napoleon | Sony/Apple | November 22, 2023 | Joaquin Phoenix is Napoleon | Ridley Scott

Napoleon's life is so absolutely filled to the brim with incident and memorable episodes, that it is impossible to portray the full scope of his life in a 2 or 3 hour movie. They should focus instead on a particular time or campaign. But this seems to be all over the place. From Toulon to Borodino, and possibly even beyond that. It seems to me that is a far too large a scope for a single film

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Merkel said:

Napoleon's life is so absolutely filled to the brim with incident and memorable episodes, that it is impossible to portray the full scope of his life in a 2 or 3 hour movie. They should focus instead on a particular time or campaign. But this seems to be all over the place. From Toulon to Borodino, and possibly even beyond that. It seems to me that is a far too large a scope for a single film

That Empire piece says Scott has a 4.5 hour cut of the movie he wants Apple to eventually screen.   They probably will at some point, no studio is going to put a 4.5 hour film in theaters.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Nabillion club anyone? 

In my wet dreams.

500M would already be a giant success in my book. Straight up historical epics have generally done very poorly in recent times.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Ridley's historical epics usually but I'm not overly hyped for this. I agree with everyone else, Joaquin is horrifically miscast and trying to condense his whole life into this is a recipe for disaster.

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

That Empire piece says Scott has a 4.5 hour cut of the movie he wants Apple to eventually screen.   They probably will at some point, no studio is going to put a 4.5 hour film in theaters.

Incoming directors cut saves Ridley's film lol

Edited by TheDude391

8 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

I think the success of Oppenheimer could revive the genre. 

I hope your right, but i doubt it. Mainly because Oppenheimer was not primarily a historical epic/historical film per se, but a Christopher Nolan movie. How many people would have actually watched it if it wasnt directed by him? Not to mention the film beeing part of the Barbenheimer phenomenon.

Napoleon imo is a true test if straight-forward historical epics can make a succesfull return. Its got a great cast and director, its got a good trailer reception so far and its about one of the most famous and influential humans to have ever lived. If it doesnt succeed - then what will in this genre?

Obviously though, im praying for its success.

• Like 4

If Sony can market this as a true event I really do believe this has a shot at doing solid, respectable business. The big question is IF they can do that. The first trailer was good (tho I feel it got a bit lukewarm reaction), I think it got a solid reaction on social media. They just need to keep hitting the gas. Hopefully reviews will be good, but I'm expecting a lower RT score than The Last Duel for this, but still fresh on RT. It is odd to me that it hasn't been announced for any festivals....

I'm glad they gave it its own page on Social Media (unlike Killers of the Flower Moon). It should hit Football Sundays hard with TV Spots. Trailer played in front of Mission Impossible but it seemed like it was the first trailer that played. They definitely should've attached this with Oppenheimer

I think this can hit $200m+ WW, and that would be fine given the circumstances and Apple TV+. $20m OW DOM is a must and achievable. I think internationally it should do quite well. It is 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 11:29 AM, Merkel said:

That is my concern. If the two and a half hour running time is true, it is not nearly enought to cover the material contained in the trailer. I really thought it would be a bit like the Gance epic, and focus on his early career.

I still regret Kubrick never got a chanct to make his film on Napoleon.

Edited by dudalb

Variety said this might move to 2024 

Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if to avoid Taylor Swift mega phemonenon, Apple decides to put Napoleon to next year (since it won’t be in any festival) and give it’s date to Killers Of The Flower Moon that is now likely to lose it’s premium screens due the insane demand for Taylor’s concert movie

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Astonished 1