TMP

Napoleon | Sony/Apple | November 22, 2023 | Joaquin Phoenix is Napoleon | Ridley Scott

You guys are nuts, other than the shitty music thats in every modern trailer I think it looks great

And thank god they're not going for French accents.

If this is as good as The Last Duel was, that would be a huge win.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

If I were you, I'd appreciate the fact that this movie exists and getting wide theatrical release, and wouldn't take it for granted. Once Ridley and Marty are gone, those old fashioned massively budgeted and ambitious historical epics with A level craft and big star lead will be gone too, just like Tony Scott's type of movies died with him or John Hughes' comedies died with Hughes. There will be some cheap knock-offs, but not real deal from an old master.

Oh i'm not writing the movie off. Just not a fan of the trailer. I'm a sucker for these movies, i'm gonna be there, for sure.

16 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

You guys are nuts, other than the shitty music thats in every modern trailer I think it looks great

Yeah, don't get the "this looks small" comment at all. If nothing else it will "look" great and have these sprawling practical battle scenes Ridley Scott is known for.

It looks good but yeah that needle drop is so hilarious makes it difficult to take it seriously.

A lot of impressive and promising footage, in an almost tropic thunder spoof goofy-ass trailer.

still hope it's as good as it looks.

Edited by Joel M

My incinerating hot take is that Joaquin has been one of our most boring leading men over the last few years. Too many variations of the soft spoken, weird dude character. I was hoping his reunion with Ridley playing Napoleon would bring some of the manic, megawatt charisma energy of Gladiator and even Signs back, tbh.

I recognize this is not a popular opinion. I used to LOVE Joaquin but lately idk he ain't been doing it for me.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

4 hours ago, TomThomas said:

If I were you, I'd appreciate the fact that this movie exists and getting wide theatrical release, and wouldn't take it for granted. Once Ridley and Marty are gone, those old fashioned massively budgeted and ambitious historical epics with A level craft and big star lead will be gone too, just like Tony Scott's type of movies died with him or John Hughes' comedies died with Hughes. There will be some cheap knock-offs, but not real deal from an old master.

I disagree.  Chirs Nolan has done historiacl epic,s as have a couple of other of the younger directors. Problem is the audeince for them is not what it used to be.

I suspect, to swipte something Spielberg said, most young directors dream of being David Lean, the master of the historical epic, but most of them, don't get the chance and most who do fail.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I disagree.  Chirs Nolan has done historiacl epic,s as have a couple of other of the younger directors. Problem is the audeince for them is not what it used to be.

I suspect, to swipte something Spielberg said, most young directors dream of being David Lean, the master of the historical epic, but most of them, don't get the chance and most who do fail.

Dunkirk is not "historical epic", Nolan has never done one, at least yet, maybe he will, as long as he's still bankable. Recent ones by other younger directors are cheap knock offs done by Netflix like The King and Outlaw King, as I already mentioned, they are nowhere near real deal. The thing is, there's nobody else out there who could do it, with the same scale and ambition, and Ridley and Marty are near the finish line, Mel Gibson won't ever get this kind of budget, maybe Denis Villeneuve will get his chance if Dune Part 2 is successful enough, but that's about it.

Edited by TomThomas

Ridley Scott is very hit or miss for me over the past several years, for every The Last Duel or The Martian we get an Exodus: Gods and Kings or House of Gucci. But I will never turn down a Ridley epic as those tend to be where he shines the best, and while I think Gladiator 2 is the one I'm more excited about this still looks great. Weird music choice, yeah, but the actual footage of it looks great, I think Phoenix is gonna kill it, and the angle of this being about his relationship with Josephine is a solid enough hook.

I have no idea if it will actually match up, but I'm hoping for the best.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I’m over this washed out look that Wolski/Scott keep giving to their historical movies like TLD and Gucci. 

You'll be pleased to know that Scott's reuniting with John Mathieson for Gladiator 2, though if memory serves me right, neither that film nor their other collaborations were that much different.