TMP

Napoleon | Sony/Apple | November 22, 2023 | Joaquin Phoenix is Napoleon | Ridley Scott

6 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Variety said this might move to 2024 

Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if to avoid Taylor Swift mega phemonenon, Apple decides to put Napoleon to next year (since it won’t be in any festival) and give it’s date to Killers Of The Flower Moon that is now likely to lose it’s premium screens due the insane demand for Taylor’s concert movie

Surely the audiences for Killers of the Flower Moon and Taylor is very different. I would think it's more likely Killers will stay put.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Surely the audiences for Killers of the Flower Moon and Taylor is very different. I would think it's more likely Killers will stay put.

Scorsese it's not like Tarkovskij, he makes very great "classical style" american movies appealing to big audiences (at least during his peak, now it's an old director). Pretty much every adult woman fan of taylor swift can appreciate a Scorsese movie with Leonardo  Di Caprio or a Nolan movie, and the movie is there to appealing them too to get good box office numbers. 

But i agree it's stupid to escape from it cause it's a concert movie, so just a very different kinda of experience. Also it's not a marvel movie has to make money in the first weekend alone so i don't get it why everyone should escape...in summer don't we have like 4-5 very big movies out in the same month?.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

So Scott probably has a great five hour movie that will be condensed into half that runtime and end up a fairly unremarkable affair. If it's another Kingdom of Heaven, at least it means we'll eventually get a great movie to see.

But overall I'm kinda sick of Ridley Scott's schtick now. Either make a long ass movie and stick by it, or plan everything out properly and have a tight script and a good editing process and get a definitive version done from the get-go.

I do hope it sticks to the current date, though. I need stuff to watch this year...

This and Flower Moon would probably just pivot to glorified theatrical qualifying runs before moving to next year since both of these movies were once originally destined to go straight to streaming.

At most though Sony would probably just move this to the December 15 spot where they currently have the R-rated Sydney Sweeney/Glen Powell romcom that will likely end up delayed if the strike continues on with no end in sight for the next month and the stars are unable to promote it.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

This and Flower Moon would probably just pivot to glorified theatrical qualifying runs before moving to next year since both of these movies were once originally destined to go straight to streaming.

Why?? Paramount and Sony spent a lot of money to get the rights! They invested in a shit load of P&A and IMAX!

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Why?? Paramount and Sony spent a lot of money to get the rights! They invested in a shit load of P&A and IMAX!

I mean, that scenario isn't happening in the first place but neither of these movies stand to gain anything from moving to 2024, unlike most of the delayed movies so far. Especially Flower Moon, which is already seen and did the starry red carpet thing at Cannes. The Taylor Swift thing isn't competition either despite how utterly massive it's looking to be.

Honestly don't think it would be much of a shock if Sony ultimately decided to also give this the multi-week rollout plan like they are doing with Dumb Money. Eli Roth's Thanksgiving and Anyone But You are the only other remaining movies they have on the schedule for this year.

25 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Sigh

On one hand, I do enjoy how Taylor Swift’s move completely pissed off the major studios. On the other hand, I can’t say I’d like the idea that it might disrupt the remainder of the film schedule for 2023. 

This all the way. I am not in the Taylor Swift demo or audience. I need some movies to be excited about and want to see.  Dune 2 is already gone. If the studios use Taylor as a excuse to just abandon 2023 by moving everything else of note then just ugh. 

• Thanks 1

I get that the Swift movie is going to be huge for a week, maybe two. But to think it will be doing the kind of business to shake off (no pun intended) the likes of Napoleon to 2024 seems ludicrous to me. 

there’s millions of fans that haven’t been able to see the Swift show who will flock in crazy numbers. But I don’t see it then breaking out beyond that audience. Why would it? It’ll be frontloaded Twilight performing mania imo. Which is fantastic and we need it, but not at the expense of the real major movies we’ve got coming. 

It's worth mentioning that the rumor of this being delayed originated from an opinion piece from Variety (that's hidden behind a paywall), that some like World of Reel (who claimed a few weeks ago that they heard Dune 2 definitely wasn't getting delayed...oops) have decided to run with as if this is an actual development waiting to happen when it isn't.

Moving Movies: 3 That Should Shift to 2024 (and 3 That Won't) - Variety