TMP

Napoleon | Sony/Apple | November 22, 2023 | Joaquin Phoenix is Napoleon | Ridley Scott

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Of course Ridley doubled down on casting someone way too young for Josephine, the man clearly DGAF about his critics.

For better and worse Ridley Scott has said many times he hasn't read any press for his films since Bladerunner, even positive press.

On one hand thats kinda a bummer with Comer, but on the other hand I do think Vanessa Kirby is an inspired choice and she looks older and not as soft looking as Comer.

I'm sure film twitter is gonna film twitter and love whining about the actress's age here like they did about The Last Duel's "problematic" premise back when it was announced and look how that turned out.  This is not an Exodus situation where the white casting felt very out of place and distracting.  I'm willing to bet most people have no clue how old Josephine was anyways or even care.

This seems to be covering pretty much the same material as Abel Gance's classic film "Napoleon"
Napoleon did: Bonaparte's rise to power.

For a while Spielberg was going to be doing a film about Nappy using Stanley Kubrick's unproduced script, but that seems ot have died.

Anyway, Phoenix has some experience playing emperors.

9 hours ago, dudalb said:

For a while Spielberg was going to be doing a film about Nappy using Stanley Kubrick's unproduced script, but that seems ot have died.

I think Spielberg was interested in making it an HBO miniseries with Cary Fukunaga.

4 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Rated by the MPA:

"Napoleon: R for strong violence, grisly images, sexual content & brief language"

https://twitter.com/mavericksmovies/status/1633610872135520256?t=saIo210arLveeUmePu4EIA&s=19

Its pretty wild how Ridley Scott is getting $100m-200m for hard R historical epics.  I'll take it no matter how this turns out since he is the only one left in Hollywood doing anything like these.

• Like 7

More I read the more it;'s clear this is going to sort of a remake of the Abel Gance CLassic.

Interested in what Scott can do with i,t though, he has shown a number of times, he does well with historical epics.

COme to think of it, his first film "The Duellist" was set during the Napoleonic wars.