Knights of Ren

The Acolyte: High Republic SW Disney+ Show, June 4th

Get ready for a deluge of Star Wars content that only takes place during the Skywalker era I guess…

This is a shame, not least because it’s going to send the wrong message to all of the incels who will now be crowing about how they got it got cancelled. It may have lost steam towards the end, but I’d have taken Acolyte season 2 over Ahsoka season 2.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Wow, viewership must have ben REAL bad if they cancelled it so quickly.

The Acolyte got off to a strong start when it launched June 4 with two episodes, generating 4.8M views in its first day on the streamer to rank as the biggest series premiere on Disney+ this year. The tally rose to 11.1 million views globally after five days of streaming. Corroborating Disney’s data, the series made its debut on Nielsen’s Top 10 originals chart in its premiere week at #7 (488 million minutes viewed), climbing to #6 the following week.

But The Acolyte could not sustain the momentum, dropping out of the Top 10 in Week 3 and staying off before returning after the release of the finale at #10 (335M minutes, believed to be the lowest for a Star Wars series finale).

On 8/13/2024 at 9:29 PM, Eric Ripley said:

Arguably 25% of the Star Wars fandom are full of alt-right bigots. That's where the hate is coming from. It's so peculiar this is the kind of audience this franchise attracts, but oh well.

Not the politics forum. Keep posting things like this and I'll have to ask you to issue yourself a warning

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

haven't watched it yet, need to worry about Disney deleting show like Willow?

That's not really the right comp. Even when outside of the Nielsen top 10, it would have clearly made a nielsen top 15ish (as seen by the bump into the top 10 during the show's finale week). It's clearly providing some genuine value to the channel even if divisive and bad "for a star wars show" numbers. Googling found Plum Research (which ESG publishes) has Willow at 2M unique viewers on OW versus Andor's 7M. 

I can't imagine that's expected to be "on the table" right now. If it were removed, it would be an awful sign about if Disney believes the show because no one involved in this show is big enough to demand a major backend/residual (which probably helped Westworld get pulled from max).

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Wow, viewership must have ben REAL bad if they cancelled it so quickly.

so the above stuff relates to this point. Viewership was "really bad" for the show (Disney announced the show's cancellation as a way to spin the finale's numbers just as they released an abnormal anecdote to override Variety's publication of Luminate's data) but people still watched it. I suspect Disney might have done something different if the show was perceived of as an artistic success but this is clearly damage control.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

I ended up not continuing this after the initial episodes cause it seemed like absolutely no one was talking about it, so can't claim the writing wasn't on the wall. Disney also probably wants to limit the number of Star Wars TV properties as well to build demand for another movie cause they clearly want the IP back on the big screen.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Disney also probably wants to limit the number of Star Wars TV properties as well to build demand for another movie cause they clearly want the IP back on the big screen.

If that’s really the plan then I’m all for it. Star Wars needs to feel like an event again, not something that you can catch every week on Disney+, so maybe someone at Disney has finally realised that they won’t see TFA type grosses again anytime soon unless they make it feel special again.

By all means keep the animations going for the kids as a gateway to the franchise, but live action should be reserved for theatrically released movies.

Mando was an event that just about united everyone and they fucked that up so bad in S3 by making Mando feel like a side character for the majority of the season and  just caving in bringing back grogu right after the season 2 finale.

Obi wan instead of just being a cool exploration of Jedi post order 66. Was reduced to Vader fan service,baby leiah who some reason was in this and really sloppy direction. How do you make an obi wan show look so cheap.

BOBF was a slamdunk . Just make him the cool badass ruthless bountyhunter character  he was and we got bogged down in boring tatooine  politics and boba being boring as fuck. Mando literally came in to save the day.

Ashoka was ok.

Andor was another major highlight and can't wait for season 2.

Next is skeleton crew then Andor S2 ,Ashoka S2, Mando season 4? Then  Mando film, rey film,filoni film.. etc

Thats it . If they fuck it up. Think they are going to put this on ice for sometime especially theatrically and probably do an overhaul of the entire team .

Welp. I was gonna binge this when I’m on holiday next month. Won’t bother now. Disney can suck my balls. I don’t understand how they have fucked up so badly with Star Wars over the past decade.

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

If that’s really the plan then I’m all for it. Star Wars needs to feel like an event again, not something that you can catch every week on Disney+, so maybe someone at Disney has finally realised that they won’t see TFA type grosses again anytime soon unless they make it feel special again.

By all means keep the animations going for the kids as a gateway to the franchise, but live action should be reserved for theatrically released movies.

The biggest problem with this is that it goes very much against your earlier post; TV is the only way I can see them exploring stuff outside the Skywalker era.

If Star Wars goes the way of movies only then I am pretty sure we’ll be stuck with Skywalker stuff for the rest of our lives.

Unfortunately I think that’s what will ultimately happen; They’ll wrap Andor up next season, then wrap Thrawn’s and Ahsoka’s stories up somehow with season 2 of Ahsoka  and maybe something in the Mando movie, and then what they do with Mando will be highly dependent on how much money the movie makes. 

If the movie is a big success then they’ll just make another Mando movie. If it’s just OK, they might make one more season of Mando to wrap it up, and if it’s a big bomb it might actually be the end of it all.

Oh and  Skeleton Crew will 100% be a one and done, I can already see the hardcore star wars jerks, I mean fans, whining about it being too childish, it will be the next hate target undoubtedly. Lucasfilm will 100% bow down to them, because that’s what they do.

I just hope we might get some animated series in the future further exploring the High Republic era. Do you think there’s any chance of that happening @Porthos ?

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

Looking at Amandla Sternberg comment sections on Instagram and to be honest if you’re a POC or a woman, I honestly don’t get the appeal in joining the Star Wars franchise. Disney nor Lucasfilm will not protect you from the harassment. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, YM! said:

Looking at Amandla Sternberg comment sections on Instagram and to be honest if you’re a POC or a woman, I honestly don’t get the appeal in joining the Star Wars franchise. Disney nor Lucasfilm will not protect you from the harassment. 

They may not protect you but they do something. To be cynical, when Disney/Lucasfilm has what audiences clearly perceive to be a stinker, they'll preemptively make public statements about how hate against minority/female actors is bad (to be less cynical - I'm not on Instagram but I 100% believe what you're describing is true, people are just awful to actors when feeling outraged). I think people genuinely disagree the degree to which who is being used as a shield for whom in these scenarios but they're also being the opposite of silent about this (reversing frequently remarked upon older press strategies to downplay or not bring up such attention). My general suspicion is there's a cynical edge to this stuff even while being sincere in a way that a show like showtime's UNREAL depicted in a surprisingly deft manner. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

14 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

I don't get why the internet is so obsessed with Star Wars without the Skywalkers, there the only reason people care about the franchise.  

I think to a large degree it's because The Last Jedi framed the discussion in this manner and to a secondary degree influenced by Disney's large framework. TLJ's metacommentary about the star wars-y nature of star wars gives us a stark dichotomy between "everyone can be a jedi" and caring about bloodlines. "The Skywalker Saga" is Disney's framing of the star wars movies as part of their attempt to move on from them into an (initially planned) MCU style open slate. 

If Mangold's "Biblical Epic as Star Wars story" had been released at a basically Mando season 1 quality, I don't think we'd see this sort of discourse continuing to predominate. There's a real "give us nostalgia" desire among star wars fans but the issue feels like it's sort of being forced more than finessed.

I can see the Acolyte trying to connect with prequel characters (and internal corruption themes) while giving something new but it's running into the problem that people don't actually like a lot of the prequels stabs at politics (the run of poorer quality films really does matter) and the connection admits an easy identity-crossed-with-fandom-politics reading that gives you a very fine line to tread. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

The biggest problem with this is that it goes very much against your earlier post; TV is the only way I can see them exploring stuff outside the Skywalker era.

If Star Wars goes the way of movies only then I am pretty sure we’ll be stuck with Skywalker stuff for the rest of our lives.

That was always going to happen. People claim they want to "move on" or see new eras and timelines and never see the Skywalker era again. But that's a lie. Star Wars fans, and general audiences for that matter, just want to see nostalgia slop. Stuff to point at the screen and go "OMG IT IS THING FROM CHILDHOOD"

Literally every time one of these shows has trended, it's because they bring back some old legacy character that makes the fans go crazy. Nobody cared about Ahoska until Anakin popped up. When weird creepy deepfake Luke popped up in Mandalorian, looking as plastic as the action figures he was based on, Star Wars nerds were hooting and hollering that it was the return to the old Luke they knew and loved. Hell, even Grogu only got big because he was Baby Yoda. If he wasn't based off Yoda, nobody would give a shit about him.

And this isn't just a Star Wars thing. Audiences largely just want nostalgia slop for anything and everything. There's a reason why RDJ as Doctor Doom trended as hard as it did. And alas, there's nothing we can do to stop it. Because audiences refuse to enjoy anything unless it's got member berries. Ah well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Anyways, most of what I wanna say about it you can find in the comments section about it on the StarWarsCantina subreddit, literally the last toxic Star Wars community I’ve ever found on the internet.

What I’ll say here though is that I hope Disney doesn’t stop producing stories out of the Skywalker era just because this one didn’t do as well as they’ve hoped.

Star Wars fans who only want nostalgia Skywalker shit and get shrill whenever things deviate from the beaten path will literally be the death of this franchise as things stand.

I  also hope Disney will have learned from the change with MCU shows that a tv show needs to be structured as such, not as movies. A lot of the undeniable problems this one had (as do many other Star Wars and MCU shows) were caused by that.

They’re fixing that with the new Daredevil show, hopefully they’ll fix that with the Star Wars shows too.

star wars needs less content 

• Like 3