Knights of Ren

The Acolyte: High Republic SW Disney+ Show, June 4th

19 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Don't know about  saber lore and maybe that the  way its done  but  really thought a from a casual fan/GA perspective  ,spontaneous colour change was kind of  ridiculous  to me. Having a change of crystal later In the episode would have been better IMO and felt more grounded than coming off cartoonish, try hard and fanfic ish.

The only way to get a red lightsaber is to bleed a kyber crystal. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Bleeding

This is the first time it's shown on screen. It's also possible to reverse this, which is how Ahsoka got her white lightsabers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed it overall and would say it’s a solid 8/10, although did feel like it kind of ran out of steam a bit towards the finale. Felt like it was just treading water during the last two episodes in between the great lightsaber duels. 

I really don’t get the absolute vitriol that is getting hurled at it though (well…I do get it, it’s the pathetic incel man babies who can’t handle women in their Star War, and they’re best ignored, but they shout so damn loud that I fear Lucasfilm will listen to them again…). I do agree slightly that it would have been better and more focused as a movie though, I think that would’ve cancelled out the feeling of running out of steam that I mentioned earlier. 

How were the viewing figures for it? Did we hear anything after the first episode? I’d definitely be open to a second season.

• Like 1

I'd give the season a 6-6.5/10. Interesting concept, great lightsaber fights, a couple characters really popped off the screen, but poor structuring and very inconsistent character writing for other key characters really hurt.

• Like 6

On 7/16/2024 at 7:47 PM, Porthos said:

It worked.... for the most part.

The one thing that didn't work for me is 

Hide contents

just what the heck was up with the tracker, Bazil?

Just why was he acting like a little shit for most of the time, only to flip on a dime when he went "back on the clock".

That's the one piece of storytelling for me that just falls flat and I can't blame on editing or poor execution, as the execution wasn't even there.  Kept waiting for some shoe to drop in regards to him and it never did.

Maybe dude just was bored out of his mind?  I dunno.

I kept wondering if I had missed something. No idea what they were going for there. Definitely could have cut all the Bazil parts out, I think.

• Like 3

Finally caught up on the last two episodes. Still have mixed feelings about the show but I would be interested in a season 2 if more time was taken in fleshing out character arcs instead of (what often happened here) characters being jerked around in inorganic ways. Action was pretty great and that is one thing that this series can really hang its hat on.

• Like 2

Just binge watched it last couple of days.
This was… Absolutely fine? 7/10 or something?

I have no idea where all the hatred comes from. It certainly could have had better dialogs (still better than the prequels on this though), some characters could have had better development (Bazil??? Helloooo? What were you doing mate??)  but overall it felt like they got to where they wanted to get to just fine with it. 

All this crazy hate online for it… Just 2024 things I guess. 

I love this show and it’s next to Andor as my favorite Star Wars series. It actually made me interested on Star Wars lore, it makes some crazy world building and at least for me it did a better job improving the prequel films than Obi-Wan did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Just binge watched it last couple of days.
This was… Absolutely fine? 7/10 or something?

I have no idea where all the hatred comes from. It certainly could have had better dialogs (still better than the prequels on this though), some characters could have had better development (Bazil??? Helloooo? What were you doing mate??)  but overall it felt like they got to where they wanted to get to just fine with it. 

All this crazy hate online for it… Just 2024 things I guess. 

Arguably 25% of the Star Wars fandom are full of alt-right bigots. That's where the hate is coming from. It's so peculiar this is the kind of audience this franchise attracts, but oh well.

• Sad 1

The shows budget was 180 million and it seems overall viewership was low vs other star wars show and unlike Andor, this show had a very mixed or negative response from the star wars fanbase...

So spending 180 million dollars to appeal to small portion of star wars fans isnt a profitable venture. 

My point is Disney can make shows like this but spending budgets like a feature movie make no sense. 

Edited by Torontofan

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

ngl this show was mid but I kinda wanted to see where they was gonna take it anyway, especially with the manny jacinto character.

He was easily the best part of the show, and it did seem like there was a good direction to go with it, so this news is definitely disappointing in that regard.

32 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I am surprised how quick the decision is. The show must really have performed that poorly.

Not sure how the ratings compare, but the budget definitely made it an uphill climb. Growth phase definitely over.

Anyways, most of what I wanna say about it you can find in the comments section about it on the StarWarsCantina subreddit, literally the last toxic Star Wars community I’ve ever found on the internet.

What I’ll say here though is that I hope Disney doesn’t stop producing stories out of the Skywalker era just because this one didn’t do as well as they’ve hoped.

Star Wars fans who only want nostalgia Skywalker shit and get shrill whenever things deviate from the beaten path will literally be the death of this franchise as things stand.

I  also hope Disney will have learned from the change with MCU shows that a tv show needs to be structured as such, not as movies. A lot of the undeniable problems this one had (as do many other Star Wars and MCU shows) were caused by that.

They’re fixing that with the new Daredevil show, hopefully they’ll fix that with the Star Wars shows too.

Edited by Arlborn

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

Cancelled 

https://deadline.com/2024/08/the-acolyte-canceled-no-season-2-star-wars-disney-plus-1236044233/

Wow. No beating around the bush here. No going “maybe it can happen one day”. This is straight up dead.

The show was mid at best . Different era of SW and didn't really do much . Some cool fights but the characters and story were mediocre to really over rushed bad.

The only great thing about  jacinto character were his saber fights ,he is extremely bland like the rest.

I'm surprised though, expected atleast one more season out of this atleast.

But will definitely watch the saber fights time and time again on YouTube.

Disney diluted the brand too much, no one cares anymore. 

Mando S1 felt like a true event, but too much mediocre content made it so that these shows feel like non-entities nowadays.

Doesn’t help that despite the ludicrous budgets, they look very cheap.

So yeah not surprising that this was completely thrown in the towel.