YM!

Lightyear | 6/17/22 | Disney/Pixar | PUPPY INTERVIEW FRIDAY SO NO REASON TO SEE MOVIE NOW. FLOP INCOMING

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Aww. 😕

Thought you were rooting for it.

Toy Story 1-3 are my top 3 Pixars. Everything about this feels like committee filmmaking-no deep emotion, no creativity, no conceptual ideas. Surprisingly unfunny besides the cat. It's just very average and complacent. There's a nice montage in the first act but it's just very basic

• Like 2

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Toy Story 1-3 are my top 3 Pixars. Everything about this feels like committee filmmaking-no deep emotion, no creativity, no conceptual ideas. Surprisingly unfunny besides the cat. It's just very average and complacent. There's a nice montage in the first act but it's just very basic

Im curious if Toy Story 1-3 are your favourite Pixars, whats your opinion on Toy Story 4?

It's getting worse in hindsight for me tbh. Definitely lower tier Pixar. I think its worst sin might be something most people probably won't care about, but it's meant to the movie from 1995 that Andy watched, and yet it doesn't feel like a movie from 1995 at all. In terms of the jokes and certain story elements. A fun conceit might have been if it was animated in the style of films from the 90s with the associated limitations.

• Like 1

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Im curious if Toy Story 1-3 are your favourite Pixars, whats your opinion on Toy Story 4?

3 was just such a perfect conclusion that I never fully got on board with 4.. but I wouldn't say it's bad necessarily. Just like an epilogue. Forky was a fun addition and the doll inside the shop had a compelling arc. But I'm kind of in the same boat regarding Lightyear. Pixar has such a high standard and at times with Lightyear, it feels like they don't truly even aim that high and as a result, you sorta miss the imagination and emotion they're so capable of providing. There's so much talk and exposition and plot movement.

(Oh, and anyone complaining about the kiss is a real weirdo lol. It was a sweet little moment in the best segment of the film and makes Buzz's journey more personal)

I think my overall rankings are

Toy Story

Toy Story 2

Toy Story 3

Monsters Inc

Inside Out

Wall-E

Finding Nemo

Up

Ratatouille

Incredibles

Soul

Bugs Life

Coco

Toy Story 4

Onward

Luca

Incredibles 2

Turning Red

Good Dinosaur

Finding Dory

Lightyear

Monsters University

Brave

Cars

Cars 2

Never seen Cars 3

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

you mean having it look really janky and stuff? Scary looking humans and everything?

That or making it look like hand drawn animation. That's why I say it *might* have been fun if they did it that way. It's quite possible they actually did try it out and decided it was as you say too much in the uncanny valley for the audience to buy.

For me, Pixars Magnum Opus will always be Ratatouille. Could be that nostalgia plays a big role for me there (it was my first Pixar movie in cinemas), but i think it is pretty much a perfect film. The animation looks amazing, even by todays standards, the characters are endearing, the decision to make a rat a master chef is ingenious on so many levels, the humour is top-tier Pixar and to top it all of, the critic and all his scenes and lines are iconic.

Man i love Ratatouille.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I can answer b/c I have almost the same opinion (it's my favorite trilogy from Pixar and Toys 1/3 are tied as my favorite)...

I hated Toys 4:).

37 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

For me, Pixars Magnum Opus will always be Ratatouille. Could be that nostalgia plays a big role for me there (it was my first Pixar movie in cinemas), but i think it is pretty much a perfect film. The animation looks amazing, even by todays standards, the characters are endearing, the decision to make a rat a master chef is ingenious on so many levels, the humour is top-tier Pixar and to top it all of, the critic and all his scenes and lines are iconic.

Man i love Ratatouille.

I only have one problem with Ratatouille... Alfredo is the least interesting character in it and he's in a lot. My favorite is WALL-E. Up, Ratatouille and Toy Story 3 are close though. Coco is the best recent one.

• Like 1

I liked a lot most of Pixar movies, they do have one of the greatest catalogues a studio ever produced in Hollywood. My favorite is probably Wall-E but it´s very hard to choose even a top 5.

Even their worst movies beyonce Cars 2 i don´t trully hate it, and they´re so few that it doesn´t matter

I suspect Lightyear could ended up in this category, but i won´t complain after the delights of Soul / Luca / Turning Red released in a span of just 16 months. 

Hopefully, Elementary will bring their back up again to their recently strike of great original projects.