YM!

Lightyear | 6/17/22 | Disney/Pixar | PUPPY INTERVIEW FRIDAY SO NO REASON TO SEE MOVIE NOW. FLOP INCOMING

Speaking purely for myself, I absolutely love TOY STORY and I have no desire to see this. To me it seems like it's

• Entirely unnecessary
  • Doesn't fit the Toy Story art style/visual style at all
  • Doesn't seem to fit in that universe either so no incentive to watch it for fans of that franchise. Whether it actually does or not is irrelevant IMO, the thing is: from the marketing it doesn't seem like it does, and that's what ultimately matters in getting butts into seats.
  • Looks too serious. Toy Story is a fun franchise with a cute animation style aimed at kids, why suddenly make a dramatic movie about Buzz Lightyear?

I'm just baffled as to why exactly this was made in the first place. Really looks like one person's passion project and nobody bothered to ask whether they should actually make this.

That's my opinion and perception of the movie, I know it's negative so I'm gonna only state it once in here so as to not bring too much negativity. It just seems uninteresting to me. There, I'm done.

But I'm really glad that Disney are not bowing to bigotry and aren't censoring their own movie to appease backwards countries. That I can definitely get behind!

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Speaking purely for myself, I absolutely love TOY STORY and I have no desire to see this. To me it seems like it's

• Entirely unnecessary
  • Doesn't fit the Toy Story art style/visual style at all
  • Doesn't seem to fit in that universe either so no incentive to watch it for fans of that franchise. Whether it actually does or not is irrelevant IMO, the thing is: from the marketing it doesn't seem like it does, and that's what ultimately matters in getting butts into seats.
  • Looks too serious. Toy Story is a fun franchise with a cute animation style aimed at kids, why suddenly make a dramatic movie about Buzz Lightyear?

I'm just baffled as to why exactly this was made in the first place. Really looks like one person's passion project and nobody bothered to ask whether they should actually make this.

That's my opinion and perception of the movie, I know it's negative so I'm gonna only state it once in here so as to not bring too much negativity. It just seems uninteresting to me. There, I'm done.

But I'm really glad that Disney are not bowing to bigotry and aren't censoring their own movie to appease backwards countries. That I can definitely get behind!

Honestly, this all reminds of Solo. Whether or not you like that movie, i think its clear that it was just something that nodody really asked for, so ... hardly anyone showed up for. Lightyear could experience something similar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

instead of seeing this i just rewatched the buzz lightyear of star command tv movie on video. now THAT's a picture. wayne knight as zurg >>>>

yes that was a fun movie and fun show. Too bad Pixar hates that show and won’t allow it on Disney Plus 

Just now, SpiderByte said:

People calling this a bomb are super premature. Have you already forgotten how big Encanto exploded despite a middle of the road theatrical run?

I think we want this to be a successful theatrical release. 

Not a bomb and then a successful movie in streaming 

• Like 3

Way different situation from Encanto. COVID not a serious issue at the moment, many films performing at pre pandemic levels, franchise blockbuster, this is definitely not what it should be performing at and if it doesn't get a big audience in theaters I highly doubt it's going to mutate into a huge phenomenon through streaming.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 5

I know it's dangerous to calculate how a movie will do once it's been released, but I feel like living dangerously. But let's start with what we know for a fact. 

Lightyear has earned $23 million domestically on its first full day. That's less than half of what Toy Story 4 (the last Pixar movie to have a full theatrical release before the pandemic) made in the same amount of time, but it's still more than twice what Onward and The Good Dinosaur made. Both Onward and The Good Dinosaur finished their domestic opening weekends at slightly under $40 million. If we assume Lightyear plays like that, instead of like a typical Toy Story movie, then that $23 million first day might translate to roughly $65 million. 

I think a particularly good comparison to make in this case might actually be Brave. Like Lightyear, Brave was a Pixar movie that received good-but-not-great reviews, and opened in the $60 million range. Brave earned $237 million domestically, and I think it's reasonable to expect something similar, if not slightly higher, from Lightyear (unlike Brave, Lightyear will have the advantage of being more attractive to young boys). $250 million domestic seems reasonable. 

The big question is what role international grosses will play. Lightyear has been banned in 14 countries, and China has claimed they won't be showing it either. But most of the countries that have banned it aren't typically major contributors to the overseas grosses of Pixar movies. Neither, for that matter, is China; while Walt Disney Animation Studios movies often do very well in China, Pixar tends to struggle there. Coco, in 2017, was the only real exception, earning more money in China than it did domestically. Returning to our comparison to Brave for a moment, that movie made $28 million in China, out of a $540 million global total. 

Taking that as a baseline, I think $450-$500 million worldwide isn't an unrealistic expectation for Lightyear. That would put it in about the same territory as WALL-E and Brave. 

Edited by El Squibbonator

19 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

People calling this a bomb are super premature. Have you already forgotten how big Encanto exploded despite a middle of the road theatrical run?

Encanto is still a theatrical bomb there’s more leeway though as Omicron was on the rise then and original property.

Lightyear as an IP though with no rise yet has no excuse even though it’ll gross more, it’ll be under 400m ww with a small chance at going under 300m and maybe barely do over 150m domestic. That’s not good on a 200m budget.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 10:40 AM, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Honestly, this all reminds of Solo. Whether or not you like that movie, i think its clear that it was just something that nodody really asked for, so ... hardly anyone showed up for. Lightyear could experience something similar.

Nobody asked for Guardians of the Galaxy. In general, I find the "nobody asked for this," reason for a movie's failure to be incomplete.

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

Nobody asked for Guardians of the Galaxy.

Yes but Guardians wasn’t really a known concept to the GA. Whereas Solo and Lightyear were, and it doesn’t help action/sci-fi animation is a much harder sell.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 9:11 AM, grey ghost said:

I knew this movie would disappoint before the lesbian kiss. But of course now idiots are going to feel vindicated and say "go woke, go broke".

Thank god for Captain Marvel, that movie's numbers are such a huge blow to that crowd. 

• Like 4