Eric Loves Rey

Nope | Jordan Peele | Keke Palmer, Daniel Kaluuya, Steven Yeun star | July 22, 2022

To clarify: I'm not saying BP has an 88 on metacritic because all the 100% of critics were afraid to say the movie sucks and they gave to it a 10/10 instead.

I'm saying for americans the movie has an important meaning and they really enjoyed it or they found it groundbreaking because of that. 

In other parts of the world the reviews were in the marvel standars or even worse. 

I think that it is generally hard for Americans to understand the European POV and vice-versa. The way the media presents certain topics is heavily influenced by the culture, social climate and agenda of a country... you can seee that, for example, in how the news of a black Ariel or a latina SnowWhite got handled in USA vs EU: in North America, every article was positive, praising the diversity choice and calling out "racists" for trashing disney on the social media; conversely in EU many outlets straight up opposed disney's racial-bending, calling it nonsensical and utterly direspectful to the european background of the original fairytales.

That being said, I agree that  movie criticism does get to the work of the minorities too, however if we look at Chloe Zhao's Eternals, which got trashed, you can see that she didn't receive the personal backlash /attacks that is generally reserved to other directors when their work misfires. From an outsider point of view, it does seem like there is a non written rule which is being more kind/respectful towards minorities when writing in the US media, probably in order to avoid any sort of polemic/havoc (the Beyonce example is particularly fitting).

As for Peele's movies, they are so rooted in american culture, and black american culture, that it is unlikely for american critics to have an "objective" opinion on them, which is ok (art is not objective)  but does raise questions on the actual quality of the product for the non-american viewers.   I find myself to be more "in tune" with european critics when it comes to Peele, and that is not always the case with other directors, which is why I'm personally waiting for the international press before I get hyped up about this film.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

I think that it is generally hard for Americans to understand the European POV and vice-versa. The way the media presents certain topics is heavily influenced by the culture, social climate and agenda of a country... you can seee that, for example, in how the news of a black Ariel or a latina SnowWhite got handled in USA vs EU: in North America, every article was positive, praising the diversity choice and calling out "racists" for trashing disney on the social media; conversely in EU many outlets straight up opposed disney's racial-bending, calling it nonsensical and utterly direspectful to the european background of the original fairytales.

That being said, I agree that  movie criticism does get to the work of the minorities too, however if we look at Chloe Zhao's Eternals, which got trashed, you can see that she didn't receive the personal backlash /attacks that is generally reserved to other directors when their work misfires. From an outsider point of view, it does seem like there is a non written rule which is being more kind/respectful towards minorities when writing in the US media, probably in order to avoid any sort of polemic/havoc (the Beyonce example is particularly fitting).

As for Peele's movies, they are so rooted in american culture, and black american culture, that it is unlikely for american critics to have an "objective" opinion on them, which is ok (art is not objective)  but does raise questions on the actual quality of the product for the non-american viewers.   I find myself to be more "in tune" with european critics when it comes to Peele, and that is not always the case with other directors, which is why I'm personally waiting for the international press before I get hyped up about this film.

I'm not sure if saying critics european critics are more "objective" about his works is true. Americans are simply more likely to find them relatable because they are directly criticizing things that they interact with more, they relate more to them, etcetera. And that's ok. Different countries react differently to different films, that doesn't necessarily mean one view is more "objective" than the other.

My "european point of view" on this is: Get Out was a good film, I haven't seen Us, Black Panther was ok, latina Snow White is silly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Peele is way over ratedand hyped.  This isnt relaly debatable. I dont care why, alot of it is just Hollywood being Hollywood.   I think it is important to remember that Peele has chosen a path to bring on such critism and I people should be able to discuss race and how it plays into things given the last few years and statements like this from Peele.  He plays the same game. 

Pjnq9ki.png

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/jordan-peele-wont-cast-white-male-lead-ive/story?id=61989080

Edited by Borf the Borf
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

So, critics are enjoying it overall. Fine.

Will general audiences feel the same? I'm curious.

Call me slow, but what's the subject of the movie? I watched the final trailer and it seems to spoil a ton about the movie. It shows the UFO, right? It seems to be about people getting sucked by the UFO, but this is it. Now I'm seeing reviews saying you should watch it with "an open mind". Why should I open my mind to see a movie about a UFO? Is the trailer misleading?

Now I'm seeing critics talking about Jaws...

The point is: Is the trailer really selling the right movie? Some say we shouldn't expect horror. Some say we should go with an open mind. Is it another It Comes at Night? lol.

Ok what the fuck did I just read. This thread has gone wild tbh.

Personally love get out and had issues with US ending . But poeple are free to like peele movies or not. This whole african american  culture affecting reviews conspiracy  seems so overblown to me. Yeah some small effect maybe there  and ,his movies can be heavy handed at points but take nothing away from peele ,he is a very good horror and comedic director and that shows in his films .

His movies also have some really good acting performances .kaluuya and lupita in Get out and US respectively.

• Like 3

Hummm...I've just read the spoilers for this movie. Definitely it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

I hope you guys enjoy it.  I'm curious about the general audiences reaction. It seems to be a "WTF did I just watch" flick, but that's just my personal view based on what I read.

I think it won't be as divisive as Us cause marketing is honest about comedy. Us marketing really doubled down on horror while completely sweeping comedy/levity under the rug. So people are adjusting expectations and UFO genre isn't a proper horror genre anyway. 

Everyone should be happy, however. Team Genius Peele can boast that he went 3 for 3 critically while Team Overrated Peele can point out diminishing critical results considering that, while all 3 are well received, each is getting lower and lower critical rating. Whether boxoffice will follow suit, or   open above US and leg out over Get Out, or fall somewhere in between remains to be seen. But in any case, it should be profitable given its reasonable budget.

Edited by Valonqar

What about team Jordan Peele is a promising young filmmaker but certainly no genius and I like original properties filmed in IMAX releasing in the summer blockbuster season? I hate this team shit. Not really directed at the above post even. Wow. I just felt like okay this is usually just for the superhero stuff which is generally never horrible but never great but makes good money. Now it's like every movie. Then, of course, the obligatory "read the spoilers not my jam" post too in here? Wtf? Pet peeve... I hate those posts too. People that post them were never going to see the movie to begin with.

• Like 9

Apparently I need to go rewatch Us (and the trailers) because not only do I recall liking it quite a bit, but had no feelings of being let-down/mislead by advertising as quite a few have mentioned 

• Like 2

Us is a really strong horror movie for the first 3/4 of its running time. It's only near the end when everything is revealed in the form of The Big Exposition Dump that it falls apart IMO. The marketing for this has been pretty strategic about not revealing too much (thankfully) so we'll see how this approaches its twists.

32 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Us is a really strong horror movie for the first 3/4 of its running time. It's only near the end when everything is revealed in the form of The Big Exposition Dump that it falls apart IMO. The marketing for this has been pretty strategic about not revealing too much (thankfully) so we'll see how this approaches its twists.

But the reveal/twist is what makes Us good, and ties the whole story together? Nothing like say The Village where I think people could hear my eyes rolling 

@titanic2187 - I agree with your GO/Us perspective, from a pure horror/thriller story line. But what made GO resonate was the implicit social commentary, essentially the “horror of being Black”, at least in the US

Anyway, looks like plans are in motion to see Nope today, so we’ll see how this one fares

Edited by M37