Eric the Fall Guy

Nope | Jordan Peele | Keke Palmer, Daniel Kaluuya, Steven Yeun star | July 22, 2022

I think Get Out is great because it was probably "cooking in the oven" for a long time and was a dream project for Peele for at least a decade.

Is he the next Hitchcock?  No but he makes great original horror and thriller films. I'm not sure why anyone would attack his films when we're drowning in IP movies.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

But the reveal/twist is what makes Us good, and ties the whole story together? Nothing like say The Village where I think people could hear my eyes rolling 

@titanic2187 - I agree with your GO/Us perspective, from a pure horror/thriller story line. But what made GO resonate was the implicit social commentary, essentially the “horror of being Black”, at least in the US

Anyway, looks like plans are in motion to see Nope today, so we’ll see how this one fairs 

I also think US ending is fascinating, but i can see why it's so divisive. 

It's a great cerebral idea, it works beautifully as a statement. But narratively it doesn't make any sense, the movie just abandon any realism to embrace an ending that serves as a great metaphore that indeed wrap up the whole concept, but not exactly a great plot ending. 

And this is usually a problem when the movie roots on realism for 90% of it's runtime.

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

get out is better written and Us is better directed is the take i've landed on. the latter has really inspired sequences. think i like both pretty much the same.

basically this. I will say that The end of Get Out is what always gets me/makes me rank it higher.  The cathartic dred/relief I felt was very, very real. 

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

get out is better written and Us is better directed is the take i've landed on. the latter has really inspired sequences. think i like both pretty much the same.

Finally, someone who agrees! Us may not have the satire that Get Out had, but Peele clearly became a lot more confident in his directing in it, and it’s all the better for it. The scene where Tim Heidecker and Elizabeth Moss’ characters get killed by their tethered versions is a really well directed sequence in particular.

• Like 2

Probably not the most popular opinion, but I prefer the original ending Peele had for Get Out. It was dark as hell and brutally honest. The film would have gone up a couple of levels for me if he had the balls to keep it. But it is a great film as is, just felt incomplete on some level. US is even better, totally bonkers. Very excited for Nope. 

24 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

whats causing the really low audience score?

Because Peele is fully in his M. Night era. And the marketing/hype of the movies don't reflect the (mostly) divisiveness of his filmmaking. I mean, his original ending for Get Out was dark and inaccessible. He makes big movies, but they're not really crowdpleasers--they're about to be frontloaded events. 

I’m only sharing this cause it just came up on my time line. It’s only one person from a theatre but I just saw it so I thought I’d share. For the record I have no interest in this movie and haven’t been following much about it. 

• ...wtf 1

49 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Uh, the movie? Went and saw it today …

It’s a well told story and I enjoyed it, but didn’t love it, and is definitely not going to be for everyone. A decent-sized gap between critic and audience scores is to be expected 

2 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

its 78% RT verfied , but not many votes yet , if it doesn't drop then its still fine for its genre , i don't think its a crowd pleaser , so wait and see , Black Phone the genre film of the year

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

I’m only sharing this cause it just came up on my time line. It’s only one person from a theatre but I just saw it so I thought I’d share. For the record I have no interest in this movie and haven’t been following much about it. 

I follow that account too. They seem to not have good taste in movies so I wouldn’t put too much stock into what they’re saying. A third walking out is a shit ton, has to be an over exaggeration. Do people really walk out of movies that often?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, any guess on the CinemaScore. I read the full plot and I'm expecting a C+

Reading a plot and watching a movie isn't the same thing. People used to be dissapointed with EG plot in leaks. 

I doubt it can be weirder than Us so at least something on par I guess.