cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It’s a movie that clearly relies a lot in the Latino experience, why this wouldn’t be mentioned? 

Yeah i know it’s subjective and not really related to quality by itself, but i don’t see what the problem here 

I’m actually glad this is being mentioned i would be pissed if they did a focused on a Latino family just for this be irrelevant for the movie

I mean they often use representation as an excuse to praise mediocrity. I just hope this is not the case here.

• Like 1

I do think it's funny that we still judge one way or the other how these early reactions come in. They're literally almost always positive, no matter the film. So why does everyone automatically assume just because it's a DC film that they're being disingenuous? If they're positive about every film, then we really shouldn't take anything from the reactions (unless they're bad!).

Good Reactions - Movie could be good or bad

Bad Reactions - Movie could be bad

• Like 6

16 hours ago, HummingLemon said:

If this movie is really "so good" why not just lift the review embargo early? Somebody on the main sub basically said that WB is paranoid about releasing the embargo early after The Flash disaster

Because review embargo lifts, early or late, ≠ actual quality of a movie.

Early or late, people read faaaaaaaar too much into embargo lifts.

(mind, this looks to be a 70s RT film, but just commenting in general here)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John Marston said:

How can anyone take early reactions seriously anymore after The Flash?

Early Reactions for The Flash were actually fairly predictive though. I mean, actual early reactions that is and not all of that grapevine talk earlier.

I've said this more than once, but there's an art to reading early reactions.  Who says what.  What is praised, isn't praised.  How strong is the praise.  What words are used in the reactions.  What red flags already appear. Who damns with faint praise (without realizing it).  How many people are actually reacting vs a big heap of indifference. And on and on and on.

So, yes, absolutely they can still be taken seriously.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 8

I mean, here's an example right here. 

On 8/11/2023 at 10:48 AM, kayumanggi said:

The later two read like a pretty good reaction, right?  Well, yes.  But they also point to some signs that other critics probably will react more harshly to. "mostly a blast" and "shaky start" are actually the sort of cautionary notes that I personally look for in early social media reactions on a casual scan.  Seeing some similar comments is making me think that this will probably land in the 70s on RT (once again noting that's a percentage of fresh/rotten and not the actual grade) while realizing it could conceivably touch low 80s or high 60s.

Still, looks to be fresh at the very least, which in the end should help this movie's box office prospects.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

Tracking for Blue Beetle is pretty bad right now. A score in the 60s would prevent it from crashing but it's not good enough to give it a massive increase. Right now I'm going with $3.5M previews for a $25M opening weekend. 

Edited by HummingLemon
addition to comment

On 8/11/2023 at 3:52 PM, excel1 said:

I mean...if WOM is truly good, a $45/175 type of run isn't out of the equation, and no doubt a sequel would see a sizable jump. 

Given the current tracking, I say there's very small chance of that happening. The only hope right now is that reviews cause a MASSIVE increase or it gets insane walk-ups from Latino audiences.

Edited by HummingLemon
addition to comment

10 minutes ago, excel1 said:

"Best since Nolan" would mean its better than Wonder Woman...and The Batman? Would be a stunning development. 

Early reactions for DC movies from the past five to six years have almost always said that (“Best DC Movie since TDK!). It’s become a meme at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, excel1 said:

"Best since Nolan" would mean its better than Wonder Woman...and The Batman? Would be a stunning development. 

Well, the tweet was “favorite” not “best,” which aren’t necessarily the same thing. My favorite DC flick is Aquaman, which is not topping anyone’s best list.

Anyhow good to hear some positive stuff about this movie. Sounds like something I will enjoy.

• Like 1