The Wild Eric

GOLDEN GLOBES 2021 DISCUSSION THREAD | Nomadland, Borat 2, Andra Day, Chadwick Boseman, SBC, Rosamund Pike win

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The Globes must've felt no need to kick off the narrative of McDormand or Davis picking up another Oscar so soon after their recent wins and didn't care enough about Promising Young Woman to give it any wins (considering it went home empty-handed) to go with Andra Day in a biopic nobody cares about. Kirby was clearly last in that category and definitely the one most in danger of missing now among top contenders.

People should care about Billie Holiday's tragic story. Too bad the film didn't do her justice.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Only 5 pages?????? :rofl::hahaha:Nobody cares about awards this year. 

And next year is gonna be worse. Barely any movies filmed last year and this year. There will be no movies for awards  season

Edited by Maggie

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

These "virtual" ceremonies just aren't that enjoyable tbh. Last night was a mess with all the technical problems they had. Clearly they didn't plan it well when the Emmys went so smoothly over five months ago.

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

This is a bunch of bull lol. This year's season is absolutely stacked. 

2021's potential award-worthy films:

Dune

Nightmare Alley

Gucci

West Side Story

Dear Evan Hansen

The Eternals

[A24's gotta release something]

The Eyes of Tammy Faye

The French Dispatch

Taika Waititi's soccer film

Respect

Adam McKay's Don't Look Up

The Last Duel

King Richard

Steven Soderbergh's No Sudden Move

Jane Campion's The Power of the Dog

The Tragedy of MacBeth

Blonde, about Marilyn Monroe

then Amazon will release Annette, too...

and an animation like Luca might contend...

I'm really excited for the next awards season!

• Like 1

Tina and Fey have done their best to keep things together. Can you imagine to pull a responsive jokes in a half-empty room with most of the attendance are too busy in the past 12 months fighting covid, probably can't get half of the jokes delivered, and both of them still have to pretend everything was just as festive as pre-covid time when there are 500k+ extra death alone in USA. .      

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Finally, the statement of nobody care award show come to realisation this year!

Jokes aside, pretty much every movie-related event got sidelined in the past 12 months. This forum  has been very quiet since pandemic hit. 

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Globes must've felt no need to kick off the narrative of McDormand or Davis picking up another Oscar so soon after their recent wins and didn't care enough about Promising Young Woman to give it any wins (considering it went home empty-handed) to go with Andra Day in a biopic nobody cares about. Kirby was clearly last in that category and definitely the one most in danger of missing now among top contenders.

Eh, she's still a solid fourth. It's been a while since Globe+SAG but no Oscar nomination has panned out more than twice in the same year. Jared Leto is likely getting snubbed based on his BAFTA shortlist miss, and if Foster is in, at least one of Close/Bakalova/Zengel will have to miss since Colman and Youn are safe with Seyfried still on the fringe. Kirby has the benefit of consistent support for a film otherwise missing everywhere.

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

And next year is gonna be worse. Barely any movies filmed last year and this year. There will be no movies for awards  season

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't think this year has anything to do with how stacked the season is or isn't. Award season is a chain of hype through festivals, premieres and red carpets from Cannes to Oscars. Many people that casually watch the globes or the oscars no matter who's nominated would be surprised to find out today that the globes were last night and the same thing will happen with the oscars. Without all the glitz and glamour the "hype" just bounces around the echo chamber of people that follow this shit closely no matter what, like the trades, film twitter or forums like this one.

If next year Cannes and Venice and all the fall festivals and award ceremonies happen like usual, the hype will be much bigger even with "weaker" movies in competition.

10 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I don't think this year has anything to do with how stacked the season is or isn't. Award season is a chain of hype through festivals, premieres and red carpets from Cannes to Oscars. Many people that casually watch the globes or the oscars no matter who's nominated would be surprised to find out today that the globes were last night and the same thing will happen with the oscars. Without all the glitz and glamour the "hype" just bounces around the echo chamber of people that follow this shit closely no matter what, like the trades, film twitter or forums like this one.

If next year Cannes and Venice and all the fall festivals and award ceremonies happen like usual, the hype will be much bigger even with "weaker" movies in competition.

I mean, I'm talking about the upcoming 2021-2022 awards season, not the current one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, awards season just isn't what it usually is this year because there is none of the usual pageantry. Nobody really cares to watch stars attempting to interact with each other via Zoom from their homes.

6 million viewers for the Globes with the final hour having 4.7M. that's down from 18.5M viewers last year

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nomadland

The Father

Mank

Promising Young Woman

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Borat Subsequent Movie film

Hamilton

Music

Palm Springs

The Prom

Maybe, but I have seen none of them in their entirety I think.

This does not feel at all like 1939, 1977, 1994, 1999 or 2009, even if it is for people that actually seen them.

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Nomadland

The Father

Mank

Promising Young Woman

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Borat Subsequent Movie film

Hamilton

Music

Palm Springs

The Prom

Maybe, but I have seen none of them in their entirety I think.

This does not feel at all like 1939, 1977, 1994, 1999 or 2009, even if it is for people that actually seen them.

Again, I'm speaking about the upcoming awards season. Not this boring one.

• Like 1