Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

1 hour ago, john2000 said:

um ? we usually get official numbers in about 2-3 hours so thats normal mate........ also here an intresting fact for you back in  may , may 4 to be exacth the daily cases were 42k do you know how many people died that day ? 848 , while yesterday with 130k the deaths were at 800  some food for thought...........

Hey mods, would this be considered “political”?

I think moviegoers have been conditioned that if a movie looks like it belongs on streaming they are not going to pay to see it until it comes out on streaming or just watch it on streaming if it's available 

the  days of 200 - 300 Million + budget movies are gone for at least 20 years, studios need cut their budgets in half, if they want to make any money right now

1 minute ago, Eric Quinn said:

Pity. Kinda hoped this would be a Hereditary situation where there would be surprisingly good legs in spite of the audience scores. Oh well

well i havent seen the movie but maybe audiences found it idk boring ? 

Edited by john2000

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

you might be right. 
All I can say is that the situation the US is in right now with this variant is where we were in the U.K. maybe 4-6 weeks ago.  Much has changed over here and things are as close to ‘back to normal’ as we’ve been in 18 months. 

The trends are encouraging, so hopefully the US follows suit and things look much better by the end of September. 

I think the UK has a better handle on vaccination than the US though.

Florida has like record cases which is a fucking joke when we're 2 years into the pandemic and vaccines have been available for 6 months. 

Also re: CinemaScore - has it changed much? Back when BOM forums were still alive, or maybe the start of these ones, there was a scandal when CS was revealed to be like only a few hundred people in a handful of theatres - or maybe even less than that.

Maybe they might have changed it because the studios can't have been happy finding out what they paid for was no better than a Twitter poll. 

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

well i havent seen the movie but maybe audiences found it idk boring ? 

its a movie for cinephiles, not general audiences. Not a criticism, just an observation. 

(Or to recycle a recent talking point about other films, maybe if it was better it would’ve done better? Nah that’s silly.)

• Like 2

Just now, RRA said:

its a movie for cinephiles, not general audiences. Not a criticism, just an observation. 

(Or to recycle a recent talking point about other films, maybe if it was better it would’ve done better? Nah that’s silly.)

weirdly i agree with that....

Guys I know why Green Knight isn’t doing well. You don’t have to explain why to me. I’m just saying I wanted it to have good legs because I liked the movie and wanted to see it do well and buck the usual audience trend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Eric Quinn said:

Guys I know why Green Knight isn’t doing well. You don’t have to explain why to me. I’m just saying I wanted it to have good legs because I liked the movie and wanted to see it do well and buck the usual audience trend.

i havent seen the movie yet, though i loved the trailer

Even when not taking into account the lukewarm-at-best reception to the movie, I always thought the first Suicide Squad's massive overperformance was just a case of the perfect storm of elements coming together for a classic example of "right movie at the right time" not dissimilar from other monster overperformers like the first It the following year. Looking back, The Summer 2016 Movie Season was rather underwhelming for the most part.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Even when not taking into account the lukewarm-at-best reception to the movie, I always thought the first Suicide Squad's massive overperformance was just a case of the perfect storm of elements coming together for a classic example of "right movie at the right time" not dissimilar from other monster overperformers like the first It the following year. Looking back, The Summer 2016 Movie Season was rather underwhelming for the most part.

But 2016 summer has one of the most balanced mix of box office grosser in recent memory, you have multiple hit from different genre, unlike the years after. 

- (2) Old Universal $1,200,000 +58% -43% 3,138 $382 $35,583,145 15
- (5) Stillwater Focus Features $770,000 +84% -58% 2,611 $295 $7,910,070 8
- (4) The Green Knight A24 $760,000 +37% -74% 2,798 $272 $10,331,727 8
- (-) F9: The Fast Saga Universal $320,000 +41% -58% 1,715 $187 $170,124,145 43
- (-) The Boss Baby: Family Bus… Universal $190,000 n/c -53% 1,405 $135 $54,610,715 36
- (-) The Forever Purge Universal $140,000 +59% -60% 779 $180 $43,379,250 36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

But 2016 summer has one of the most balanced mix of box office grosser in recent memory, you have multiple hit from different genre, unlike the years after. 

Was it, though? Suicide Squad and The Secret Life of Pets (which spawned a franchise-killing sequel itself) were probably the only true overperformers since everyone knew Captain America and Finding Dory would make huge amounts of cash. Plus Central Intelligence and Bad Moms as solid counterprogramming hits. Otherwise with some exceptions almost everything else pretty much came below expectations, in one form or another.

Edited by filmlover

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Was it, though? Suicide Squad and The Secret Life of Pets (which spawned a franchise-killing sequel itself) were probably the only true overperformers since everyone knew Captain America and Finding Dory would make huge amounts of cash. Plus Central Intelligence and Bad Moms as solid counterprogramming hits. Otherwise with some exceptions almost everything else pretty much came below expectations, in one form or another.

To be fair Civil War’s legs is one that always stuck out to me despite the reviews.