Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

37 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

A24 movies in general don’t seem to do especially well with Average Joe’s. 

Because their movies are pretentious arthouse but always advertised as mainstream fares. As if A24 hoped that people who were deceived into seeing those movies would somehow end up loving them, despite not being what they expected/wanted to see, and spread positive buzz.  That's not how the Force works. 

1 hour ago, Gokira2012 said:

I think moviegoers have been conditioned that if a movie looks like it belongs on streaming they are not going to pay to see it until it comes out on streaming or just watch it on streaming if it's available 

Viewing habit certainly changed, but whether forever or temporarily until covid is gone remains to be seen. Also, a lot of movies lost their momentum due to delays and none of them, so far, was that special to begin with to become a priority over more existential needs.  

• Like 2

Just now, wildphantom said:

So $25-27 million range. Under Space Jam. Man 

Lebron is a bigger draw than DC confirmed.

(Joke aside, I still think this can leg out to 30.)

1 minute ago, Gavin Feng said:

#TheSuicideSquadTheSuicideSquad_Red_2021.png opened #1 at FRI #boxoffice with $12.15M incl THU pre-shows. CinemaScore is B+. Full opening wknd for R-rated pic looks headed to $26-28M neighborhood which will be well below $39.5M opening DAY of PG-13 #BlackWidowDisney_BlackWidow_Symbol_2021_V2.png from a month ago. Both had streaming option.

I mean in a vacuum just about numbers this is correct but comparing R rated to PG-13 films is Apple/oranges ain’t it? A little unfair to say the least.

from DL

https://deadline.com/2021/08/the-suicide-squad-margot-robbie-james-gunn-opening-weekend-box-office-hbo-max-1234810359/

Saturday AM Update: Warner Bros.’ latest The Suicide Squad is coming in at a $12.1M opening day at 4,002 theaters, which includes a $4.1M Thursday preview, for what what will be an estimated $25.7M 3-day which is under the $30M that Warner Bros and others were eyeing. On tracking, even weeks ago, many were telling me that the James Gunn film was looking like Warner Bros./DC’s featherless Birds of Prey which opened to a lackluster $33M, and well, here The Suicide Squad is. Many are expecting fan front-loading, with an expected Saturday drop.