MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

The man dresses like he's always ready for a BBC interview on art history from within the National Gallery and can't avoid exposition dumps. It would be hilarious if he just gave monosyllabic answers in interviews.

yes, he’s a man out of time in some ways. He should be on those longform televised interviews from the 60s, sat in a leather swivel chair, cigarette in hand.

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

yes, he’s a man out of time in some ways. He should be on those longform televised interviews from the 60s, sat in a leather swivel chair, cigarette in hand.

Which makes it even funnier when he talks about regulating tech and how Congress always gets played in hearings because they're out of touch and can't possibly understand it enough to regulate it. To be fair, it's a really interesting interview, regardless of how much you (dis)agree with his points.

Also love how he's just like "Ya, was just talking bout this with mah boy Spielberg the other day"

Edited by reddevil19
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I do like Nolan but I always get the impression that in his family, Jonah was the fun one and Chris was the serious one.

Yeats ago, Jonathan Nolan did an interview at a gaming event where he said his favorite video game memory was playing Halo with his brother in the backyard. They even had pizza!

Starts at 1:43. Also, it continues to be wild that they have entirely different accents. I wonder if the third brother sounds Transatlantic?

10 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Which makes it even funnier when he talks about regulating tech and how Congress always gets played in hearings because they're out of touch and can't possibly understand it enough to regulate it. To be fair, it's a really interesting interview, regardless of how much you (dis)agree with his points.

Also love how he's just like "Ya, was just talking bout this with mah boy Spielberg the other day"

I mean, that Congressional hearing about banning TikTok in the US was embarrassing and that's just a social media app. So many of them don't understand how the internet works on a fundamental level; how could they know how to regulate AI? Maybe politicians in other countries are different, IDK.

I was really surprised that Nolan seems not to be completely anti-AI in film.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

I wonder if I'll be able to make time to drive out to the IMAX an hour from me to see this. 

Hey my trip is going to be like a very long ways with transit and riding in my parents car so I approve of this. 🙏

The expectations are sky high for this. People rating it 5 stars on Letterboxd without even seein it. Nolan, i'm sure will deliver something good, but i can't imagine people would be so excited for this type of movie if it weren't for the Nolan name. Could easily backfire

15 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The expectations are sky high for this. People rating it 5 stars on Letterboxd without even seein it. Nolan, i'm sure will deliver something good, but i can't imagine people would be so excited for this type of movie if it weren't for the Nolan name. Could easily backfire

Oh ya, 100%. Nolanites can be just as insane as SW or CBM fans (though obviously smaller numbers of them).

1 minute ago, ChipDerby said:

Lets hope Zaslav doesn't call this the greatest atomic bomb movie he's ever seen.

Given the falling out with WB, even if the desire to lure him back is true, I like to imagine Nolan moving heaven and earth to ensure Zaslav can't see the movie in cinemas and tells him to wait for streaming. That kind of pettiness suits his attire.

3 minutes ago, Redolent said:

I really think the timing of Barbie releasing on the same day is of great benefit to Oppenheimer, bringing in younger audiences or those who may not have otherwise seen it, for the sake of the ‘double feature’.

Look, I get the meme (well, I don't, but let's pretend I do), but in the real world, just how many of the younger non-Nolan fans that are interested in Barbie will ACTUALLY do a double-feature with a 3 hour movie? Like...seriously.

Fz-Jo6-Bo-Xs-AMn-NUs.png

In Japan, Oppenheimer release remain undecided. Only Strays &Renfield from Universal release date are left to be decided. &for the former one, Toho-Towa doesn't have screenings rights (In Japan, Paramount/Universal works are distributed by Toho-Towa)

@Gavin Feng, I heard Oppenheimer hasn't passed censorship and at 1st place, Nolan hasn't sent copy for review.

12 minutes ago, Redolent said:

I really think the timing of Barbie releasing on the same day is of great benefit to Oppenheimer, bringing in younger audiences or those who may not have otherwise seen it, for the sake of the ‘double feature’.

im gonna bet only an insignificant number of young people would be willing to spend 5+ hours at the theater and pay the price of 2 tickets

3 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

im gonna bet only an insignificant number of young people would be willing to spend 5+ hours at the theater and pay the price of 2 tickets

I could be wrong but it looks like tracking is already showing a jump in Oppenheimer sales now that Barbie tickets have been released. 

Either way, it’s a huge amount of free marketing.

I think the double feature might be a thing (...I may or may not be one of these people) but it'll be a mostly negligible thing. Free marketing and counter-programming is nice though.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Redolent said:

I could be wrong but it looks like tracking is already showing a jump in Oppenheimer sales now that Barbie tickets have been released. 

Either way, it’s a huge amount of free marketing.

This i agree with, awareness of both films will be higher than if they were just running solo so it will help box office

• Like 1