MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

3 hours ago, iamjesuisiam said:

Funnily enough, the film is R-rated in US. Whereas in France, the film is for all audiences. We don't have the same relationship to nudity.

I'm not sure whether this movie has two or multiple versions? Like R & PG-13. 

3 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

So what do they teach the kids in school? Do they mention anything about Hiroshima & Nagasaki? Or do they pretend that none of it happened? China magically won the war against Japan without any help. Lol

I won't be surprised if that what happens.

Communism find a way. 

The biggest concern on Oppenheimer's China release was McCarthyism. On one hand, it's anti-communism. On the other hand, it's like modern society where people get political defamation only because they criticize their government.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iamjesuisiam said:

Funnily enough, the film is R-rated in US. Whereas in France, the film is for all audiences. We don't have the same relationship to nudity.

Here in Italy last Jennifer Lawrence movie was rated 6+ (you need to be 6 years old and you can watch it alone). 

11 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Chris Nolan and Emma Thomas on msnbc on morning Joe right now. Funnily enough Joe is asking Emma about how Chris wrote the screen play and said to act like Chris isn’t sitting there.

She doesn’t get nearly enough credit. Producers are often unsung heroes because no-one really knows what they do, but putting together blockbuster after blockbuster every 2-3 years is no mean feat.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 5

Feel like I'm going a little crazy seeing debates over whether Nolan is going to direct an existing IP film after this.

He's one of the only that gets a complete blank check from studios. That will continue after this. Especially since it looks like it will be a big box office, critical, and awards hit.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

It doesn’t surprise me that Nolan is prone to writing stilted dialogue. But I didn’t see him call out the instances of dialogue in Barbie which sound like the writer’s thoughts transplanted straight into stock characters:

High school students: “You represent everything wrong with our culture. You destroyed the planet with your glorification of rampant consumerism — you fascist!”

Barbie: “She thinks I’m a fascist?! I don’t control the railways or the flow of commerce.”

—-

Of course, you can say that this is just meant to be satirical and absurdist and is not a reflection of real world dialogue, even if the scene is set there. This kind of metaness is a defence mechanism that protects from critique.

It’s another reason why Nolan is so memeable - he’s often painfully earnest and sincere. Leaves him more more to criticism, but when it works it does so powerfully.

It’s good to see all kinds of perspectives anyway. I’ve seen critique of the dialogue flagged up before in one French review.

• Like 1

Seeing some of these late-breaking mixed reactions, I'll lower my expectations to Barbie-level on MC (low 80s) and a lower RT score, but with an equal or slightly better average rating. The good news for me is several of the critics I tend to disagree with are the ones who are mixed on Oppenheimer - hopefully that bodes well!