MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

6 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

How is this woman Grace Randolph even allowed on rotten tomatoes. She's not a real critic. She's a grifter. Going from one big thing to the next. Just because she has a poor quality camera, account on youtube, and a meager following on social media..I'm supposed to take her opinion on FILM seriously? This isn't a comic book movie. Her opinion means shit.

Hate to say this, but you can say that about a lot of the "geek site critics" on RT.

Can't stand Randolph, but she is far from the only offender on RT.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

How is this woman Grace Randolph even allowed on rotten tomatoes. She's not a real critic. She's a grifter. Going from one big thing to the next. Just because she has a poor quality camera, account on youtube, and a meager following on social media..I'm supposed to take her opinion on FILM seriously? This isn't a comic book movie. Her opinion means shit.

Rotten Tomatoes has become a lot more broad about who gets to post reviews on their website in the past five years. 

I get the criticisms sometimes.   Interstellar was a remarkably ambitious movie but when it's time to get to the 'cool shit' it falls a little flat, like there's not much imagination behind it.  I still really liked it and enjoyed the movie experience. 

Dunkirk was a technical achievement but the characters were just there...  

Sometimes there's a reason to nitpick a little bit with Nolan.  But he doesn't outright miss.  This movie from the first teaser looked like it was going to be a masterpiece.  His masterpiece.  I'm beyond excited at the raves. 

12 minutes ago, dudalb said:

In Your opinion.

I thought it was a interesting film with great visuals, but also badly flawed.

People are entitled to their opinions but I get tired of people expressing their opinions like they are God, and their opinion settles the matter.

So should everyone in here start every post with "in my opinion"? Isn't that a given?

There's a ton of people in this forum making generalizations all the time about X movie being "objectively" bad or good, or pushing their opinion as the general consensus based on "facts". I'm pretty sure I've never been one of them. So no idea what bothered you on my post.

With 47 reviews and 19 100's, and the insane avg on RT, I think it's likely that this stays 90+ on MC which is just... crazy. I know I said I expecting similar reviews to Dunkirk, but to see Nolan score that high is immensely exciting

Just now, TMP said:

With 47 reviews and 19 100's, and the insane avg on RT, I think it's likely that this stays 90+ on MC which is just... crazy. I know I said I expecting similar reviews to Dunkirk, but to see Nolan score that high is immensely exciting

Yeah, seeing MC and RT average score, it'll stick

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Hate to say this, but you can say that about a lot of the "geek site critics" on RT.

Can't stand Randolph, but she is far from the only offender on RT.

The more RT "opens the door" the more of these types there are.  You just gotta let them do their thing.  What can be done.  I don't read their reviews because I feel like they are clout chasers. 

Many calling Nolan the first real master of the Historical film since David Lean...which will please Nolan, since he is a huge fan of Lean, and you can easily see the influcne of Lean on his work.

Surprise, Villaneuva is also a huge David Lean fan.

18 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Wait... What?

The brother only used it as a fake last name, but yeah:

It's one of those stories that generates a new round of shock every time new people learn about it, like Woody Harrelson's father's Wikipedia page or the Gavin Newsom/Kimberly Guilfoyle marriage.

Anyway, a lot of people have joked that Chris Nolan really made Oppenheimer to bury the news about his black sheep brother. Even if you add his name (Matthew), search engines just pull up stuff about Matt Damon being in the movie.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

How are Collider bros, Geeks of this and that, Nerds of this and that allowed? None of these Youtubers are real critics but amateurs with video blogs. Grace is singled out cause she dared to admit she didn't enjoy this movie instead of BSing and beating around the bush with phrases like "the movie is ambitious" and "there's a lot to process".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Rotten Tomatoes has become a lot more broad about who gets to post reviews on their website in the past five years. 

That's the funny thing about Jeff Sneider's comment. He was accusing the more positive reviewers on this movie of being fake critics or newcomer critics. But if you look closely, it's actually the critics who are not labeled Top Critics or part of MetaCritic that are actually dragging down the score right now. LOL

RT - Overall score is 93% positive and 8.9/10 average grade

RT - Top Critics score 96% positive and 9.0/10 average grade

MC - Overall it's 98% positive with a 90/100 or 9.0/10 average grade

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Grace is singled out cause she dared to admit she didn't enjoy this movie instead of BSing and beating around the bush with phrases like "the movie is ambitious" and "there's a lot to process".

don’t care about Randolph but those are legitimate reactions to a movie. I felt that way the first time I watched inception, and ultimately liked it a lot.

Edited by Hatebox

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

don’t care about Randolph but those are legitimate reactions to a movie. I felt that way the first time I watched inception, and ultimately liked it a lot.

"ambitious" was how critics tried to BS about Wrinkle In Time but were laughed at online which forced them to admit the movie was shit. Just say whether you liked it or not whether it's good or bad. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

How are Collider bros, Geeks of this and that, Nerds of this and that allowed? None of these Youtubers are real critics but amateurs with video blogs. Grace is singled out cause she dared to admit she didn't enjoy this movie instead of BSing and beating around the bush with phrases like "the movie is ambitious" and "there's a lot to process".

I don’t have too many problems if some reviewer doesn’t like this film or another film so long as they can support their reasoning and it’s consistent with their prior opinions/reviews. She said the film had too much talking. I may or may not agree with such a view but I would still consider that a valid perspective for some people or some films. It makes sense to me. Just come out and say you found the film boring. That’s fine. However, the other “reasons” in her RT blurb are completely nonsensical. It’s tough to take her seriously as a result.

8 minutes ago, Bob-omb said:

This movie ain't making a billion. Sorry Oppenheimer Bros!

Lmao what? Why would it ever make a billion, who ever thought that? I think it could go upwards of 700 at this point which would be insane and one of the most impressive box office achievements ever given the type of movie this is. In theory this should have been an epic bomb destined for sub 100 WW. 

Edited by MovieMan89

37 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Exactly. She said Mario was the only bad movie Illumination has ever made. From the studio that made fucking Hop and the Lorax. I can't take her seriously.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lmao what? Why would it ever make a billion, who ever thought that? I think it could go upwards of 700 at this point which would be insane and one of the most impressive box office achievements ever given the type of movie this is. In theory this should have been an epic bomb destined for sub 100 WW. 

Indeed. They tried to make a big movie about this subject in 1989 with Paul Newman in the Matt Damon role. It was a mega flop with a $30 million budget (not exactly chump change in those days) and less than $4 million of total box office. Yikes! 

I think the top end for this movie is probably similar to Dunkirk, in the neighborhood of $500 million worldwide for a best case scenario. There's no box office in China or Japan for this movie. That hurts. And the length/serious nature of the movie would seem to limit the potential audience as well. 

• Like 1