MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Nolan has a chokehold over young millenials and older gen z, but high quality high profile military films tend to do quite well. Barbenheimer absolutely helped here as well.

I am telling everyone - Nolan + PEARL HARBOR or D-DAY = $$$$

Older Millennials too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

Nolan has a chokehold over young millenials and older gen z, but high quality high profile military films tend to do quite well. Barbenheimer absolutely helped here as well.

I am telling everyone - Nolan + PEARL HARBOR or D-DAY = $$$$

I wonder how Dunkirk couldn't get this succesful, speacially being a more "action" film, having a member of OneDirection in the cast, and Nolan was just coming from Interstellar, instead of "Tenet" which was not greatly loved.

11 minutes ago, Safeno Rdz said:

I wonder how Dunkirk couldn't get this succesful, speacially being a more "action" film, having a member of OneDirection in the cast, and Nolan was just coming from Interstellar, instead of "Tenet" which was not greatly loved.

Oppenheimer is headed for Dunkirk numbers or above adjusted for inflation. Which is impressive because most franchises haven't been able to keep pace with inflation (counting Nolan as the franchise). Spider-Man is the only franchise off the top of my head that has been beating inflation.

11 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Oppenheimer is headed for Dunkirk numbers or above adjusted for inflation. Which is impressive because most franchises haven't been able to keep pace with inflation (counting Nolan as the franchise). Spider-Man is the only franchise off the top of my head that has been beating inflation.

Based on first week alone, Oppenheimer has done much better than Dunkirk, what surprises me is that Nolan has kept winning fans with Dunkirk and Tenet, even if those are among his "worst" received films,

3 hours ago, Safeno Rdz said:

Based on first week alone, Oppenheimer has done much better than Dunkirk, what surprises me is that Nolan has kept winning fans with Dunkirk and Tenet, even if those are among his "worst" received films,

Dunkirk is literally his best reviewed movie on metacritic lol (tdk/oppy competing for the spot on RT, which tracks with audience WOM)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Safeno Rdz said:

I mean, Dunkirk had great numbers despite its subject matter. Let's not expect Avatar numbers for every single film.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Impressive how Nolan hasn't taken a hit after the supposedly bad reception of tenet

Bad reception would be a great exaggeration imo. It was received fine, it just wasn't the second coming of Jesus Christ that some Nolan releases are associated with.

• Like 2

Bought tickets to a show at my local 70mm IMAX theatre so I can get a taskrabbit tasker to get me a filmstrip. I really want two but I am not sure if they would give two filmstrips to one person with two tickets, and my local cineplex is impossible to get ahold of on the phone. Ah the frustration.

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

I have to say that the IMAX 70mm roll out is kind of disastrous this time. I don't remember these things happening with Dunkirk.

They stretched the IMAX film equipment to the breaking point. For many years they said 2 hours and 45 minutes was the absolute limit for IMAX film. Oppy is 15 minutes longer. 

• Like 1