MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

It has you know who's return to mainstream major films. Of course the talent is insane/ 

I'm so ready for it! July is going to be blissful at the theatre with Dead Reckoning and this back to back and then an MCU movie to cap off the month.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dxmatrixdt said:

why do i get the feeling this is going to be his worst film (quality-wise) since Memento?

Memento is amazing

Plus he already released his 'worst' film with Tenet. I can't see this being worse than that mess.

On 9/18/2021 at 1:02 PM, excel1 said:

maybe this is the Josh Hartnett comeback movie early 2000s women have been waiting for?

wish I had somehow placed a bet on this. 

TV Spots with both football games today. They are really making a run at it.

The issue is, the movie clearly has no action. The fast-paced shots for the trailers are the random images of particles exploding. It is really bizarre.

Other than the cast, there is nothing overtly mainstream about this film. I would not be surprised at a $35m/$115m type of domestic run at all. 

Edited by excel1

On 1/30/2023 at 4:32 AM, excel1 said:

I would not be surprised at a $35m/$115m type of domestic run at all

I think that should be considered a win for this type of movie, especially in a summer slot, as opposed to a traditional biopic-friendly date chasing awards, later in the year. 

• Like 2

Nobody saw Tenet so it isn't held against him. I don't think Dunkirk was as beloved by mainstream US as it was by critics and fill buffs, either. Nolan had 4 epic blockbuster wins with all 3 TDK films and Inception that created an incredible amount of good will. But he has not had a clear mainstream WIN! since The Dark Knight Rises 10 years ago.

Edited by excel1

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Nobody saw Tenet so it isn't held against him. I don't think Dunkirk was as beloved by mainstream US as it was by critics and fill buffs, either. Nolan had 4 epic blockbuster wins with all 3 TDK films and Inception that created an incredible amount of good will. But he has not had a clear mainstream WIN! since The Dark Knight Rises 10 years ago.

Dunkirk opened to 50M in the US and went on to make 190M total there. Nearly a 4 multiplier. I think thats a pretty well received movie by the general audience.

Budget 150, total gross 518M WW seems like a pretty clear mainstream win WW and in US. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, excel1 said:

dunkirk made over 500m worldwide and like a 3.5x multiplier domestically and it wasn't a comic book movie or some mind bending sci fi, i'd say thats a clear win

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

dunkirk made over 500m worldwide and like a 3.5x multiplier domestically and it wasn't a comic book movie or some mind bending sci fi, i'd say thats a clear win

4 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Dunkirk opened to 50M in the US and went on to make 190M total there. Nearly a 4 multiplier. I think thats a pretty well received movie by the general audience.

Budget 150, total gross 518M WW seems like a pretty clear mainstream win WW and in US. 

A clear WIN! to me is pop culture impact. Dunkirk did well for what it was but it left nothing of a footprint behind except Harry Styles first film role and good in the trailer with the smiling soldier. No overtly memorable characters, lines, moments, etc.