MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I thought Oppenheimer was going to be in black and white ngl

My running theory is that everything that takes place after first nuclear test will be in black and white, everything else prior, with that moment being, in Nolan's view, the moment when the world forever changed. Just speculating.

Either way, also surprised to learn there apparently was a different trailer released in non-Imax cinemas, and that's what they're going with for the official trailer. I saw the IMAX one, it's very different.

This looks utterly spectacular.  Nolan is a genius. If these sorts of films continue from Nolan, after 20-25 years we can safely say he will be the best director ever in history. 2hr 30 min WWII epic- the Schindler's list version of the atomic bomb.

Edited by Halba
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

I think this will be sweet but see extremely limited commercial appeal here.

"Oh yeah, lets go watch the movie about the invention of nukes!!!!"

Audience hunger for such a movie may depend on the next half-year of geopolitics. Some people might just want to spend more time being a Barbie Girl in a Barbie World. But those people will be surprised when it's revealed that the secret of Barbie World is that it's a post-nuclear reality, ala Adventure Time.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 1

I was thinking like 350-400m was gonna be a good target for this, and around 140m DOM but I'm less confident after how brutal this Fall has been. But having Nolan's name attached and a major campaign kick off on Sunday Night Football tonight gives it a big leg up. It won't lack for awareness I think

I think both trailers are good....but unfortunately the IMAX trailer still has that good ol 'sound mixing'

• Like 1

Unless this ends up having a secret sci-fi twist, I don't see it breaking out beyond die-hard Nolanites and the boomer/octogenarian set.  I say Global goes lower than TENET.  All the names in it may not make a difference, it will come down to whether people are in the mood for a drama about the atomic bomb, as @OncomingStorm93 states.  It's looking more and more like 2023 will be a humbling year for the Box Office as it re-centers itself Post-COVID and Streaming.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

A total similar to Nope sounds about right for this tbh. Both big late summer Universal releases being largely sold on their director's reputations (though this obviously has a ton more star power among the cast).

Yeah that's a great comparison actually. I could see it.

7 hours ago, Lion Roar said:

I'm definitely looking forward to this mainly because I find this whole history and Oppenheimer himself fascinating. Skipped Tenet and Dunkirk after being massively letdown by Interstellar, but Nolan's got my interest back with this one. 

You missed some good films. Dunkirk is one of the best WWII films ever made. Tenet is great thinking sci fi.

Edited by Halba
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1