MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

Dunkirk was fantastic on biggest Imax screen. Its not the most entertaining but he created something special. Definitely not for everyone. 

Tenet was held back by JDW. I dont think he had the charisma to pull that movie as a lead. I enjoyed the movie and it requires multiple views. 

There is enough hype for Oppenheimer looking at insane trailer views. Showing it at Cannes is definitely a great idea to build the buzz. After all there is no suspense involved about this movie. 

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

After all there is no suspense involved about this movie. 

That is the one issue with the imax trailer. Albert Einstein saying "the world could explode" isn't overly menacing because we all know that it didn't. 

38 minutes ago, excel1 said:

A clear WIN! to me is pop culture impact. Dunkirk did well for what it was but it left nothing of a footprint behind except Harry Styles first film role and good in the trailer with the smiling soldier. No overtly memorable characters, lines, moments, etc. 

The "Home" scene in the movie has been endlessly memed on. That's as much cultural footprint as most movies can ask for these days.

I enjoyed Tenet a lot and Interstellar is like one of my all time favorite movies...those are the kind of movies I wanna see from Nolan, not movies like Dunkirk, Oppenheimer. I still remember the amazing feeling I had when I got out of theatre after watching Interstellar.  I have basically close to zero interest in watching Oppenheimer despite Nolan being my favorite director. The teaser, trailer that have released so far have also been quite meh...nothing much exciting about this movie.

Edited by upriser7

59 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Nobody saw Tenet so it isn't held against him. I don't think Dunkirk was as beloved by mainstream US as it was by critics and fill buffs, either. Nolan had 4 epic blockbuster wins with all 3 TDK films and Inception that created an incredible amount of good will. But he has not had a clear mainstream WIN! since The Dark Knight Rises 10 years ago.

How exactly was Interstellar not a clear mainstream win ? It did $700M Worldwide which is excellent number for an original sci-fi movie. It did around $190M domestically with an almost 4X multiplier. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, excel1 said:

That is the one issue with the imax trailer. Albert Einstein saying "the world could explode" isn't overly menacing because we all know that it didn't. 

Lots of movies about real life events we know the outcome. It matters how you film the suspense even tho you know what's about to happen. Let's see if Nolan can keep us on the edge of our seat

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

How exactly was Interstellar not a clear mainstream win ? It did $700M Worldwide which is excellent number for an original sci-fi movie. It did around $190M domestically with an almost 4X multiplier. 

needed to do $1b 

5 hours ago, excel1 said:

You dont need suspense to make it interesting. No bigger example than the biggest movie evah in Titanic. If visuals/drama/acting all are there(I have no doubt with this cast and crew), this will do well. Plus it does not have to do like 1B to make it a success. Let us see how things go closer to release. For now its in a great shape with its initial trailer and imax one with Avatar which has been seen by millions. 

It's funny how some people want the exact same movie (suppose got used to the MCU formula), so when Nolan does something different, there're complaints about no action. It's an artistic biopic that would do 20m at best if it was directed by anyone else. The fact that 100m is considered a given for this goes to show the draw and stature of Nolan.

I'm sure he will find a way to make the story exciting and thrilling, not expecting simple, linear narrative.

To me, INTERSTELLAR is his best film by far - that 773m WW tally not too shabby at all - and that had the best leading performance in any Nolan film by MM and hoping that Cillian can match that in OPPENHEIMER. It looks good. The theatrical trailer not A+ Nolan stuff, I agree but the IMAX trailer is epic. Wondering how many people haven't seen that at all.

Personal preference aside, obviously TDK is peak Nolan, BB, and Inception are tied for Nolans 2nd best, followed by TDKR, all of which left giant pop culture footprints w/ TDK being clearly most influential film of the 2000s. Interstellar is probably next. Dunkirk well behind and legit. nobody knows/remembers/cares about Tenet. 

21 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Personal preference aside, obviously TDK is peak Nolan, BB, and Inception are tied for Nolans 2nd best, followed by TDKR, all of which left giant pop culture footprints w/ TDK being clearly most influential film of the 2000s. Interstellar is probably next. Dunkirk well behind and legit. nobody knows/remembers/cares about Tenet. 

How can one man continuously have such bad takes

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

https://thequorum.com/universal-has-been-pushing-oppenheimer-so-why-havent-the-tracking-numbers-improved/

Despite the accolades and his place in the filmmaker firmament, the tracking for his upcoming summer release, OPPENHEIMER, has been muted. And it’s not for lack of trying. Universal has been especially aggressive in rolling out a teaser campaign. The studio released a trailer last July, exactly a year before its release. That was followed up by another trailer in December and a few rather abstract posters. Spots have aired during the NFL playoffs and in theaters, yet awareness and interest in the film have flatlined.

So what’s the problem? First, it’s worth noting that this is Nolan’s first release with Universal after spending his entire post-MEMENTO career at Warner Bros. Perhaps Universal doesn’t have the marketing of a Nolan film down to the exact science as Warner Bros. Or, it could be that the campaign to date has been too abstract.

We began tracking OPPENHEIMER in August when the first trailer was released (vertical grey bar). Back then, awareness was at 15%. Today, six months later, awareness has only climbed two points.

For added context, we’re comparing OPPENHEIMER to NOPE, which ranks 2nd in the box office universe above with a $44M opening. When we compare the two, a few things jump out. First, we started tracking OPPENHEIMER (dark yellow) much earlier than NOPE (light yellow) because the OPPENHEIMER campaign started so early.

The other thing that jumps out is that awareness for OPPENHEIMER is only two points lower than NOPE at the same distance from release. So perhaps the situation isn’t so dire. The big difference is that the score for OPPENHEIMER includes two trailers. NOPE had higher awareness without the help of trailers or posters.

It’s a similar story when we look at interest. The interest score for the film has hovered in the 5.1 to 5.2 range for the past six months.

When we compare the film to NOPE, a few stories emerge. First, NOPE came on to tracking with a score of 4.8, though it quickly rose to 5.2 after the first trailer dropped before climbing to 6.1 by the time the film opened. Interest in OPPENHEIMER is in line with NOPE’s post-trailer release.

All in all, the tracking data paints a picture of a film that still has a shot at matching or exceeding the opening number for NOPE. But it also paints a picture of a campaign that has yet to resonate with audiences. To reiterate, what we’ve seen so far has only been the teaser campaign. There is no doubt that Universal will give this film a full-court press. It’s just that if the teaser campaign had lifted these numbers, OPPENHEIMER would have less ground to cover going forward.

TDK is overall the best work for Nolan. The movie delivers mind-blowing tensions, creating dramatic expectations and reverse it constantly. Twists in movies and TV these days are more like gimmick. TDK really put audience into a hopeless situation with characters.

In terms of visual storytelling, Dunkirk is the top tier. This was the biggest reason I thought he would do something different and minimize the dependencies of exposes in TENET. (What a disappointment.)

Nolan is good at blocking actions/events with amazing visual experience. You can have some joys from things characters are handling even though you don't want to follow the complicated plots. 

Oppenheimer is more like a psychological play. It's more about character and psychic activity, something very different from what Nolan has portrayed previously. Sometimes Nolan see character as a service for actions/events, or let them tell audience their feels. That's why I think this movie is a big challenge to him. I hope he could nail it. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

TDK is overall the best work for Nolan. The movie delivers mind-blowing tensions, creating dramatic expectations and reverse it constantly. Twists in movies and TV these days are more like gimmick. TDK really put audience into a hopeless situation with characters.

In terms of visual storytelling, Dunkirk is the top tier. This was the biggest reason I thought he would do something different and minimize the dependencies of exposes in TENET. (What a disappointment.)

Nolan is good at blocking actions/events with amazing visual experience. You can have some joys from things characters are handling even though you don't want to follow the complicated plots. 

Oppenheimer is more like a psychological play. It's more about character and psychic activity, something very different from what Nolan has portrayed previously. Sometimes Nolan see character as a service for actions/events, or let them tell audience their feels. That's why I think this movie is a big challenge to him. I hope he could nail it. 

Well said.