MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Who cares? None of the same people even work in the company anymore. Literally the only difference is that we will see the Universal Globe logo instead of the WB shield.

Pretty true. Alan Horn & Jeff Robinov were the main guys Nolan dealt with at WB, and both of them were forced out the door at the studio. Horn is now back at WB in a consultant role, but they needed Horn much earlier if they wanted to keep Nolan. Maybe they'll be able to convince him to come back at some point. We'll see how it goes with Universal. 

22 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I have mixed feelings on this. I love Nolan films, and this being huge would be great as it's ridiculous that WB let Nolan walk.

BUT

Nolan should've never walked. WB gave you everything you wanted. They even caved into your demands and released Tenet during the pandemic. So this bombing would be great as it's ridiculous that Nolan walked.

Maybe at the time WB was leaning heavily into simultaneous release going forward indefinitely. It's only later on they announced it was just for 2021 and then they'd scrap it. I have a feeling those kind of discussions were going on at all studios early on in the pandemic.

5 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

I have mixed feelings on this. I love Nolan films, and this being huge would be great as it's ridiculous that WB let Nolan walk.

BUT

Nolan should've never walked. WB gave you everything you wanted. They even caved into your demands and released Tenet during the pandemic. So this bombing would be great as it's ridiculous that Nolan walked.

+1.

I love Chris Nolan. Following the active development from the day he was hired for Batman Begins through the release of TDKR was peak fandom for me and taught me many things along the way. I'll always root for him as a result. That said - Nolan's disloyalty and badmouthing of WB was really, really lame.

Of course Nolan made WB insane amounts of money with TDK trilogy and Inception, but they also gave him the opportunity paint freely on a huge canvas when he was totally unproven, too. That is the return on their gamble. They financed DUNKIRK even when it as an oddly structured anti-climatic bore to the average moviegoer as opposed to the PRIVATE RYAN/PEARL HARBOR type of mega tentpole it could have been. It made some money, but hardly enough to make one go "HERE'S THE BLANK CHECK!". But they did anyway, with TENET - an obnoxiously overcomplicated, impossible-to-market mess of a tentpole which they gave him completely free rein to make. They even caved to his lunacy by wide releasing it during Covid summer when it was certain to be an epic flop. 

Universal obviously agreed to this certain-to-disappoint-financially project out of hope for a long term relationship with him. They really think $500m+ worth of people globally will think to themselves "LETS GO SEE THE MOVIE ABOUT THE INVENTION OF NUKES!"?

I think and hope he will make an awesome film, and I think/am indifferent towards it flopping. I want creativity and original to be successful, so in that sense I am rooting for it. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

Say what you will about Nolan and his qualities as a filmmaker, but considering the sheer state of WB... walking away from that relationship is probably for the best for him. I can't see how anyone could take a stab at him over what he did, looking at the absolute shit tsunami that is WB.

I'm waiting for a historical epic from Nolan, a Gladiator, if you will. But regardless of what he goes for after Oppenheimer, I think Universal is hedging on a big blockbuster, be it sci-fi or another genre, so Oppenheimer is an investment in that next film.

19 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

BUT

It would have been nice if the Kubrick-WB relationship they were clearly going for carried on, but look at what a clusterfuck WB has been for the past few years. Can't blame a director not wanting to go down with the ship.

I didn't think the max trailer was that tense tbh.

Oppenheimer: what happens if the chain reaction doesn't stop?

Einstein: It will ignite the atmosphere...

Audience: thank god that didn't happen!

LOL at people here defending Nolan Non defensible WB backstabing, all the WB problems you people talk about are DCEU related something that never affected him. Plus Tenet bomb is the reason Of the HBO MAX 2021 thing. He on his desperation to release Tenet, caused the HBO MAX thing and he is blaming them for the same thing he created. Top Gun Maverick holded for 2 years, he did not and loose WB tons of money. 

And GOD bless day and date best cinema invention ever. If all theaters screens were PLF, Day and Date would not bother them in the slightest, People would still go to cinema just look at GvK (but if your movie does not deliver people wont go, so scamming is OVER) All cinema that makes money from 2018 onward is basically big blockbusters. 

Edited by StreamBO

Just now, StreamBO said:

LOL at people here defending Nolan Non defensible WB backstabing, all the WB problems you people talk about are DCEU related something that never affected him. Plus Tenet bomb is the reason Of the HBO MAX 2021 thing. He on his desperation to release Tenet, caused the HBO MAX thing and he is blaming them for the same thing he created. Top Gun Maverick holded for 2 years, he did not and loose WB tons of money. 

I'm not defending him per se. I'm selfishly glad he left WB. That's all. 

5 minutes ago, Verrows said:

I'm not defending him per se. I'm selfishly glad he left WB. That's all. 

Why because DCEU? when has that affected Nolan the slightest, He was like New Line Cinema horror that is not affected by that either, Syncopy was allowed to do whatever they wanted inside WB, if he wanted even more he could transfer even more to New Line, people are just hating on WB for no reason. 

Edited by StreamBO

8 minutes ago, StreamBO said:

And GOD bless day and date best cinema invention ever. If all theaters screens were PLF, Day and Date would not bother them in the slightest, People would still go to cinema just look at GvK (but if your movie does not deliver people wont go, so scamming is OVER) All cinema that makes money from 2018 onward is basically big blockbusters. 

Holy shit this is the most corporate bootlicking post i've ever seen, he made his contractual demands known, wb had a choice to meet them, they didn't and he left, thats how anyone should handle their career.  He didn't backstab them whatsoever

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Holy shit this is the most corporate bootlicking post i've ever seen, he made his contractual demands known, wb had a choice to meet them, they didn't and he left, thats how anyone should handle their career.  He didn't backstab them whatsoever

NO. 

Edited by StreamBO
  • Haha 1