Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (10/15-17) | Halloween Kills 4.85M Previews, Last Duel 350K

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

If you don't think all the MCU movies have very similar visual styles, emotional beats, and quippy humor, I really don't know what to tell you. I'm not even saying they're bad, but look at all the MCU movies next to the Raimi Spider-Man movies - they're much different in many ways!

Humor, idk, they all fall within a certain range of humor but I wouldn't say Black Panther and Guardians have the same type of humor. Visual styles, to an extent, but there are definitely quite a few differences between the subgroups of MCU films. Emotional beats, again, some are shared like the "power up" moment in a lot of the origin movies and the "assemble" for Avengers films, but there are plenty of differences there as well. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Why don't they do it? I'd love to see Paramount old black and white movies

I'm sure it's an issue of maintenance and cost. There's a lot of money in maintaining a streaming service, keeping it running, and making sure all the content on there is running at high video speeds constantly. Adding in, whether we like it or not, hundreds of older films that don't have appeal to the youths isn't always ideal if you don't have the infrastructure for them. Disney bought an experienced streaming service developer with BAMTech prior to Disney+, so they already had a strong infrastructure, and a good chunk of their older titles are already evergreen titles, so there was better financial justification to put their classic films on the service Day 1.

• Like 2

Halloween Kills’ Stabbing Lots Of Green With $47M+ Opening

The theatrical day-and-date of Halloween Kills on streaming service Peacock doesn’t look to be slowing the sequel’s box office traction down. Noon estimates show the pic making $21M today, including $4.85M previews, for an estimated $47.5M 3-day. That’s 38% off from the 2018 reboot’s opening weekend (the 4th best for October at $76.2M). Coincidentally, the difference in opening weekends between 2009’s Halloween 2 and the 2007 Halloween re-imagination was also -38%. Hopefully this doesn’t slow down for Halloween Kills as horror films tend to be loaded.

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It's hard to imagine them without the same cinematic universe when they remind about cinematic universe every 5 minutes in most of their movies.

I think it's intellectually dishonest to pretend like the movies are all the same when you need to be told Black Panther, Guardians of the Galazy and Ant-Man are all the same universe.

14 minutes ago, Rainy said:

Also 26.1 isn't a 68% drop for NTTD....isnt it like 53%.

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

So we know DHL internally expect 81m+ for NTTD's opening last week. 

Aren’t they referring to the Fri-to-Fri drop here? (Which of course would be larger given Thurs previews rolled into last Friday). It’s definitely confusing how they present it here but that’s how they’ve reported it in the past. 

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think it's intellectually dishonest to pretend like the movies are all the same when you need to be told Black Panther, Guardians of the Galazy and Ant-Man are all the same universe.

You don't need be told, Ant-Man literally had Falcon and Avengers headquarters scene, Guardians had Thanos, Black Panther had Serkis.

GvK, in the horrendous release conditions it had, wouldn't have been far off 45 if it opened on a Friday, so its a bit weird to talk about whether its "possible" that MAX releases can hit 45. The question is whether the baseline demand for Dune is strong enough to sustain the hit from MAX. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So people are expecting ~45m OW for Dune but is that possible with a hybrid release?

Godzilla vs Kong had a 5 day hybrid release of 48.5m with theatre's in more severe covid restrictions... Dune can hit that 45m 3 day, whether it will is the question 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sandro Mazzola said:

Godzilla vs Kong had a 5 day hybrid release of 48.5m with theatre's in more severe covid restrictions... Dune can hit that 45m 3 day, whether it will is the question 

Godzilla vs Kong probably would have done 100m OW weekend in normal times though. What would Dune have done, maybe 60m at the max? It's still a three hour long Dune movie.

• ...wtf 1