Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

I wonder If people dooming and glooming about these characters future know how Feige works for years now.

He doesn't care that much about individual results, is all about long term. And despite some people trying hard to spin this as a disaster, Eternals is still likely ending as 6th or 7th biggest Hollywood movie this year, would be more with better reception, but still good enough.

Compared this to Solo which was only the 24th biggest movie of 2018 (and costs 275M instead of 200M) is incredibly absurd.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, john2000 said:

eternals overseas ow is very very good.

Did well in Asia too - HK and Taiwan.

A lot of MCU fans there; hence it was really not the Tony Leung effect for Shang Chi (like i said Leung has never been a proven draw in HK or any Chinese speaking markets). MCU films are the highest grossing films in these countries.

Good for Eternals.!

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

Did well in Asia too - HK and Taiwan.

A lot of MCU fans there; hence it was really not the Tony Leung effect for Shang Chi (like i said Leung has never been a proven draw in HK or any Chinese speaking markets). MCU films are the highest grossing films in these countries.

Good for Eternals.!

I never understood the arguement about Leung boosting shang chi

3 minutes ago, john2000 said:

his character was the most popular in the movie and got the most fandom and critical praise. so more like "That Wenwu was awesome, you should see it" rather than TL the boxoffice draw. 

Edited by Valonqar

5 minutes ago, john2000 said:

https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternals-brand-marketing-campaign-lexus-la-rams-mcdonalds-geico-1234868393/

To anyone that knows ,what does this mean for the marketing that disney spent ?

It means that the promotional partners it’s made is “worth” $100m.

“Man of Steel” was the biggest at one point, $170m worth:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/warner-bros-man-steel-nabs-562225/amp/

5 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

I don't think it's got $25m domestic left. And that $20m from Aus/NZ is way, way more than is likely. 

That's why probably won't make $400m but the chance for it has definitely gone up this week. Aus&NZ will probably hit half of that but since opening Dec 2nd it's like throwing a dice and see what comes out of it. Reflecting Dune's legs this week and comparing the numbers with GvK & NTTD, trajectory of DOM looks between $105-110m which would mean $21-26m left in the tank.

11 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Just some fans here who doesn’t know him or his movies’ performance in Chinese speaking territories, found out about him through the movie and thought his casting will help carry the film. Lol.

MCU brand is huge, it overrides personal drawing abilities especially in these Asian countries, especially when a person is not much of a draw to begin with..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It means that the promotional partners it’s made is “worth” $100m.

“Man of Steel” was the biggest at one point, $170m worth:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/warner-bros-man-steel-nabs-562225/amp/

I caution to take all these numbers with a sizable grain of salt. They have impact, are important, and some comparisons can be made but when they start to talk about media value and how much the impressions were worth that is mostly fluff. Without knowing details behind, the real impact can be waaaay off. PR, marketing, etc. agencies try to present them in the best (highest) possible light to their clients but e.g. impressions don't tell much about the impact. Something that had 100m impressions can have 10x impact compared to something that had 1B impressions. By default those numbers are always overblown in this kind of context.

If the same company calculates the "media value" with the same models for similar movies coming out in the same year, then you can compare those, but that's about it what you get out of them.

16 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

With somewhat meh numbers from Eternals, more stress is now on Ghostbuster and other mid-sized film to deliver. If not, November box office will be incredibly boring.   

NWH will rank 4th for Nov sales 😉

17 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

his character was the most popular in the movie and got the most fandom and critical praise. so more like "That Wenwu was awesome, you should see it" rather than TL the boxoffice draw. 

No one would watch a movie if the film is bad and only his character stood out. Leung has been in many bad films where his acting was great but the films were bad - I.e Great Magician or Europe Raiders - how did those fare? No single actor can save a movie if it is bad.

Shang Chi did well in many parts in Hk because 1) it is MCU - this is indisputable, just look at how Eternals just opened. 2) WoM is good in terms of it being an entertaining flick. 3) HK (and even Singapore or Malaysia) didn’t really care for Dune unfortunately hence like the US it has 0 competition for 4 weeks.

Edited by TigerPaw