LPLC

Spiderman : No Way Home - Box office thread

20 hours ago, Landon1195 said:

Why did No Way Home not beat Infinity War in a lot of counties in Asia?

It's mainly because they take covid very seriously and often have restrictive measures on cinemas (think for example of South Korea or Indonesia), but also because Maguire's Spider-Man isn't as "cult" as it is in Europe and North America

1 hour ago, Landon1195 said:

Is it true that Asia doesn't care about the Raimi films as much as the west does?

Lets take Tobey's SM movies as an example in India all 3 had OD records and had an amazing long run here! So the answer is no....it was huge in some parts of asia like India, Japan etc. @charlie Jatindercan confirm this

You need to factor in Covid too which dented NWH grosses largely and capacity restrictions! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tokugennumataka said:

No Way Home has spent its 16th consecutive weekend in the top 10. Second most for this century (same as Frozen and Chicago). Only My Big Fat Greek wedding is higher (18 weeks). 

In which country? 

1 hour ago, Tokugennumataka said:

No Way Home has spent its 16th consecutive weekend in the top 10. Second most for this century (same as Frozen and Chicago). Only My Big Fat Greek wedding is higher (18 weeks). 

Going to tie mbfgw

On 3/27/2022 at 1:26 AM, Landon1195 said:

1. Infinity War was rightly the bigger movie.

2. XMAS + New Year + Winter Holidays for NWH in competition less market vs Infinity War in May with loads of competition in Western markets was too much lopsided conditions for NWH.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

1. Infinity War was rightly the bigger movie.

2. XMAS + New Year + Winter Holidays for NWH in competition less market vs Infinity War in May with loads of competition in Western markets was too much lopsided conditions for NWH.

You're like a parody of yourself at this point

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2022 at 12:56 PM, Landon1195 said:

Avengers is relatively most popular in Asia, Spiderman (especially old ones) more Dom/eur heavy. Tied in part to avengers being newer franchise while spider-man crossover angle played on nostalgia a bit more.   

Also more covid impact in Asia at that time, on average. Finally lot of Asia biggies have pivoted more to locals over past two years as HW releases dried up, some signs the shift will be durable.

• Like 3

1. Endgame 9.5/10

2. Guardians 2 8.4/10

3. Iron Man 8.3/10

4. No Way Home 8.2/10

5. Infinity War 8.1/10

6. First Avenger 7.9/10

7. Ragnarok 7.7/10

8. Civil War 7.7/10

9. Black Panther 7.6/10

10. Guardians 7.6/10

11. Winter Soldier 7.5/10

12. Loki 7.3/10

13. Doctor Strange 7.2/10

14. Age of Ultron7.1/10

15. Homecoming 7.1/10

16. WandaVision 7/10

17. Avengers7/10

18. Far from Home 6.9/10

19. Ant Man 6.8/10

20. Shang-Chi 6.8/10

21. Hawkeye 6.7/10

22. Falcon and the Winter Soldier 6.6/10

23. Captain Marvel 6.5/10

24. Thor 6.5/10

25. What If 6.3/10

26. The Dark World 6.2/10

27. Iron Man 3 6.2/10

28. Black Widow 6.1/10

29. Eternals 6.1/10

30. Iron Man 2 6.1/10

31. Ant Man and the Wasp 6/10

32. Incredible Hulk 5.6/10

13 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

I agree, but sadly it didn't have a top 3 MCU bo run anymore.

Unfortunately I agree, Infinity War had an incredible run but it could have been even better

At the time it was enough for me to pass the 2 billion mark which was already an incredible milestone, but I remember that I was really annoyed because it didn't pass The Force Awakens for only $20 million. It would have been enough to have slightly better legs in some countries and it's run would have been even more incredible: in China for example it did x1.9, in UK x2.4 and ended only a couple of million from The Beauty and the Beast, in USA it could have reached 700M with a better push from Disney (like they did with Endgame and Far From Home) etc...

Edited by MG10