Eric is Quiet

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

What outcome does Sony have from this? Do they snatch Spider-Man out of the MCU or do they keep him? Do they announce multiple different Spider-Man films? Which side does this success comes from? Sony or the MCU side or both to a degree because interesting discussions will happen the next few months. I'm expecting BIG negotiations to come out of this from Sony and Marvel....and It might not be sweet like we all think.

I’d say it’s also likely that Andrew Garfield who gets my number one vote for stealing the show in NWH (Although Tobey is my favorite) gets either another solo movie going forward, or starts showing up in Venom and other Sony Spider-films. That way Sony can have their cake and eat it too. But this is just me blabbering ofc. 

Who Knows Idk GIF by MOODMAN

7 minutes ago, Momori said:

What outcome does Sony have from this? Do they snatch Spider-Man out of the MCU or do they keep him? Do they announce multiple different Spider-Man films? Which side does this success comes from? Sony or the MCU side or both to a degree because interesting discussions will happen the next few months. I'm expecting BIG negotiations to come out of this from Sony and Marvel....and It might not be sweet like we all think.

I’d say it’s also likely that Andrew Garfield who gets my number one vote for stealing the show in NWH (Although Tobey is my favorite) gets either another solo movie going forward, or starts showing up in Venom and other Sony Spider-films. That way Sony can have their cake and eat it too. But this is just me blabbering ofc. 

Pretty clear that both sides contributed, its the crossover of two very popular series that created such huge interest. 

6 minutes ago, Momori said:

I mean we are looking at an Dom OW only 1-2mil below TASM 1 and 60mil above TASM 2..... no matter how cocky Sony may be I don't think they'll assume it's a given that spider-man will make this much even outside the MCU

It's definitely gonna be interesting to see where Sony/Marvel goes from here. If they are to play the nostalgia card again obviously it would be by bringing Dunst and Stone back, and unlike Maguire and Garfield, they would definitely play a huge role in the marketing campaign (Maguire and Garfield couldn't do any press for the movie before its release because of spoilers, whereas they would be having Dunst/Stone/Zendaya doing all of their promo together with magazine covers and photos of them together on the red carpet at the premiere that would assure coverage from publications that normally don't pay much attention to comic book movies).

They are literally already talking about the 4th spider-man movie and Sony and Disney already signed a huge deal for Sony movies to stream on DisneyPlus starting in 2023 also both companies was talking about how great their relationship is now and can't wait to work in the future.

Also I just remembered Feige just released an interview 2 days ago confirming him and Sony are working on SP4 so fans wont have to worry like they did about their future with sony

BREAKING: Cinemas are 100% FULLY CLOSING in Quebec starting tonight at 5 PM

(French for those who can read it)

https://www.journaldequebec.com/2021/12/20/covid-19-le-ministre-christian-dube-fera-le-point-a-13h

I'm guessing other Provinces will partially follow suit, Ontario for sure.

That will hurt domestic prospects. Canada isn't huge but it's still 10% of the domestic BO

edit: please don't shoot the messenger :ph34r:

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 2
  • Sad 6
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 3

34 minutes ago, filmlover said:

FWIW a lot of theaters that are already setting their schedules for Christmas Day are keeping West Side Story and Nightmare Alley as all-day movies and not reducing their showtimes despite the dismal numbers they posted this weekend (the former is actually getting upgraded to bigger auditoriums at some places, at least during the day). Don't think it's much of a surprise they're getting chances to redeem themselves over the holidays when everyone knows that 1) the astoundingly low numbers they posted this weekend were because they had so little auditorium space to work with due to The Force Awakens of comic book movies gobbling up so many screens and 2) the audience for 2.5 hour dramas were more likely to show up during the Christmas Day through New Year's corridor than before it with all the holiday distractions.

West Side Story had decent Monday-Wednesday holds, it might recover somewhat over the rest of the season. I do worry about the impact of Omicron on the effect of older audiences actually showing up at Christmas. That's typically happened in the past, but it might be another pattern that's changed.

Nightmare Alley, I saw on Wednesday night with five other people. I guess over the weekend Spider-Man held it back from making $4-8 million like most other 2021 awards dramas, which is still not great. Guillermo del Toro as a director probably appeals more to men and they've been the ones returning to theaters. Even if the trailers/ads had perfectly sold what the Nightmare Alley is about, it's got a lot of better-known competition with male appeal over Christmas and risked getting lost in the shuffle. It waa going to be a limited release at one point but I guess they decided that would be worse?

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

10 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

https://www.journaldequebec.com/2021/12/20/covid-19-le-ministre-christian-dube-fera-le-point-a-13h

That will hurt domestic prospects. Canada isn't huge but it's still 10% of the domestic BO

Remmeber you guys had 2 weeks of curfews that lasted 5 months

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Goddamn it, Canada

12 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

edit: please don't shoot the messenger :ph34r:

Europe and other parts of America will follow soon. January will see the world back in lockdown.

• Sad 1

Quebec has had QR codes to enter theaters since Sept 01 2021 and the highest vaccination rate in North America.

They are the most pro lockdown and pro restriction place in North America where they had curfews from Jan 2021 to May 2021.

So don't see them as a trendsetter for all of North America.