Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

3 hours ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Just a heads up for those tracking, but there appears to be early access screenings happening at AMC and Regal on March 1/2. I’m not sure how wide this is or how many locations are involved.

3 hours ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

At this point in time I am seeing 50 for the 1st and 13 for the 2nd, all for Regals.  Nothing for AMC yet.

March 2nd is new information.

*checks*

God-damn, we have a bunch here on the 2nd.  Cinemark joins the party as well as more of those "Fan First" ones.  

6:30pm for the Cinemarks, 7pm for the second batch of Regals.

Once more, with feeling:

vRv0mO9.jpeg

• Like 4

2 days of pre-previews being rolled into Th being rolled into Fri? What an out of left field development  

On 2/5/2022 at 9:52 PM, Product Driven Legion said:

Just a few more years until the standard is OD= tues previews+wed previews+Th all day+fri all day

7 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

2 days of pre-previews being rolled into Th being rolled into Fri? What an out of left field development  

Well it would have been too obvious if they had done your 12:00pm Thr suggestion. :Venom:

===

I seem to recall there being one other prior instance of double early access showings before, though I'm drawing a blank on which film it might be.   

Tue/Wed + Thr isn't unheard of, for the record.  FB2 had Tue+Thr, for instance, and NTTD was planning on a Wed + All Day PLF Thr before the 'rona fucked with the schedule.   Do think Sat Sneaks + Tue/Wed + Thr is a tad more common, but even that's fairly rare.

But it's not like I didn't warn you all that WB and Sony like to push the envelope when it comes to "previews". :ph34r:

32 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Fan screenings seems huge as well !!!! This is simply ridiculous with almost this being a 6 day OW !!!! Since early shows sales start tomorrow, we will get an inkling on demand side soon. 

Tuesday screenings can't contribute too much in terms of money. Taking 350 shows in IMAX with average of say 300 seats per show and 15-20$ average ticket price will be a gross take of about 1.875M. Wednesday will be even lower than that. The advantage of Tuesday plus Thursday previews is that fans can go to both whereas previously it would have been only one ticket. The extra 2M or so might be helpful if any records are close.

It's just one show on Tuesday and one on Wednesday in the end. Not whole day of play.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Tuesday screenings can't contribute too much in terms of money. Taking 350 shows in IMAX with average of say 300 seats per show and 15-20$ average ticket price will be a gross take of about 1.875M. Wednesday will be even lower than that. The advantage of Tuesday plus Thursday previews is that fans can go to both whereas previously it would have been only one ticket. The extra 2M or so might be helpful if any records are close.

It's just one show on Tuesday and one on Wednesday in the end. Not whole day of play.

It won't be much money wise as you said but fucks up presales comps 

• Like 3

On 2/6/2022 at 2:52 AM, Product Driven Legion said:

Thursday Previews= Tuesday previews+Thursday from 3 PM getting normalized. 

Just a few more years until the standard is OD= tues previews+wed previews+Th all day+fri all day

In Argentina, Warner said that instead of having previews, Batman will open a whole day earlier. 

lmao they're gonna end up rolling three days worth of preview numbers into that Friday to really buff up the opening day. Hopefully the Saturday drop isn't too severe with so many qualifiers that'll burn off plenty of demand fast being put in place.

Just now, filmlover said:

lmao they're gonna end up rolling three days worth of preview numbers into that Friday to really buff up the opening day. Hopefully the Saturday drop isn't too severe with so many qualifiers that'll burn off plenty of demand fast being put in place.

I think they're just this confident in word of mouth they think that these early screenings will boost attendance in Friday-Sunday.

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well....

Local Number of Showtimes [so far]:

Tue:     3 showtimes.

Wed:    7 showtimes (probably not final).

Thr: 233 showtimes.

Two of those ain't like the other.  Now it is true that is 10 PLF showtimes (Tue: IMAX | Wed: IMAX + XD + 4DX + DBOX + others possibly), so they'll take a chunk out of later showings.  But it's still 10 vs 233.

Also, GOODNESS GRACIOUS are theaters starved.  I have NEVER seen an initial set like that one before.  Not even No Way Home was that many (225 vs 233 [+10 more]).

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well....

Local Number of Showtimes [so far]:

Tue:     3 showtimes.

Wed:    7 showtimes (probably not final).

Thr: 233 showtimes.

Two of those ain't like the other.  Now it is true that is 10 PLF showtimes (Tue: IMAX | Wed: IMAX + XD + 4DX + DBOX + others possibly), so they'll take a chunk out of later showings.  But it's still 10 vs 233.

Also, GOODNESS GRACIOUS are theaters starved.  I have NEVER seen an initial set like that one before.  Not even No Way Home was that many (225 vs 233 [+10 more]).

I mentioned this yesterday but The Batman is getting a crazy wide release. There are quite a few theaters near me which are indie and arthouse movies ONLY. All of them are also playing the movie. There's been nothing for theaters to make money on for a while.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I mentioned this yesterday but The Batman is getting a crazy wide release. There are quite a few theaters near me which are indie and arthouse movies ONLY. All of them are also playing the movie. There's been nothing for theaters to make money on for a while.

Yeah, you mentioning that caused me to check my local indies/art house places.  Neither of them are showing it (and I don't expect either to do so, for that matter).  Will actually check occasionally until they put up that Thursday's schedule, just in case.

Edited by Porthos

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That’s even more crazy that some may realize, given the extra 30 minute gap of space needed for TB vs NWH.

• Like 1