Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

55 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I hope it fails. Screw that.

It's way more than AMC and it is here to stay.  It isn't a crazy amount more, but a lot of places are going $1 to $.50 more.  

On the flip side, expect to see various films get cheaper pricing on the back end of their runs when the studios knock down their percentage to 35% or so.  

• Sad 1

Variable price ng is good and sensible. Asking the same amount for Brightnurn as for Endgame is a good way to have deadweight loss on both. Demand responsive pricing more efficiently makes use of auditorium space and benefits both viewers and exhibitors if done well.

If this turns out to be a de facto price increase to desired movies, them previous prices were too cheap. If previous prices were too high, it should end up as a de facto discount on less desired movies.

Seems like Turning Red is not just screening in LA and NY. I just found a week long run is also happening here in the Bay Area in Oakland (not in any of the big multiplexes tho, just in one of the old cinemas there). 

(Personally, really happy about this because this is like the first Pixar movie I'm actually excited for since Inside Out and wanted to watch it in cinema)

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think it's interesting that the Turning Red trailer has more views than both the Lightyear trailers combined. Really feels like it could've been big.

The early reviews and buzz seem really promising and the angle being a young Chinese girl would have had great demographic appeal. Really disappointing they shafted yet another diverse film

Speaking of PIXAR, wanna hear some possible bad news? 

Latin America Disney and Brazil Disney published articles on it's sites about Turning Red and Lightyear, they said Lightyear is coming to D+ soon by the end of the text, no mention to theaters.

Hopefully it's nothing but at this point we can expect every shit decision from Disney. Investors day is next week, let's see if they will say something. 

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Speaking of PIXAR, wanna hear some possible bad news? 

Latin America Disney and Brazil Disney published articles on it's sites about Turning Red and Lightyear, they said Lightyear is coming to D+ soon by the end of the text, no mention to theaters.

Hopefully it's nothing but at this point we can expect every shit decision from Disney. Investors day is next week, let's see if they will say something. 

Maybe it’s just referring to the fact that it will be on Disney+ right after theatrical release

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Maybe it’s just referring to the fact that it will be on Disney+ right after theatrical release

I thought that, but the statement is pretty straighrforward, basically saying: 

"buzz is already traveling at the speed of light to tell his story and everything needed for us to welcome him to Disney+" 

And they usually mention the theatrical release in articles like that. But i do suspect it's probably nothing and they just wrote it in an unclear way, still i find it suspicious after Disney sent 3 Pixar movies straight to D+ and 2 of them could've been released in theaters, wouldn't surprise me if they do it a fourth time.

Disney Investor Day is Wednesday which will be before Turning Red even launches so I doubt we get any official word there. One has to imagine they'll wait until at least Sonic 2 opens to get a read on the marketplace for animated/kids fare before making any final decisions about whether it's theatrical, D+ exclusive, or theatrical with Premier Access. If that exceeds expectations then they'll have no excuse, especially when they've been attaching the trailer to R-rated movies (which wasn't the case for the previous Pixar titles to skip theaters).

Edited by filmlover

I've been telling you guys that Disney doesn't care about theaters anymore.

Marvel and Avatar, thanks to Papa Feige and Papa Cameron, being the only theatrical plays from Disney isn't that crazy of a concept in the next few years. And who knows if those guys have enough power to keep their movies on the big screen after a while?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

I've been telling you guys that Disney doesn't care about theaters anymore.

Marvel and Avatar, thanks to Papa Feige and Papa Cameron, being the only theatrical plays from Disney isn't that crazy of a concept in the next few years. And who knows if those guys have enough power to keep their movies on the big screen after a while?

Disney truly only cares about the theaters for Marvel but even then, the MCU content on Disney+ is growing rapidly

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Disney Investor Day is Wednesday which will be before Turning Red even launches so I doubt we get any official word there. One has to imagine they'll wait until at least Sonic 2 opens to get a read on the marketplace for animated/kids fare before making any final decisions about whether it's theatrical, D+ exclusive, or theatrical with Premier Access. If that exceeds expectations then they'll have no excuse, especially when they've been attaching the trailer to R-rated movies (which wasn't the case for the previous Pixar titles to skip theaters).

Honestly Sing 2 is enough to tell that there is a recovering market for animated movies on theaters. The movie will finish it's run close to $400M, and while might not be a big deal compared to Disney's animations, for a movie that would probably still be down from the first movie even without the pandemic, this is a result that would be silly not to notice.

For me, I think Red could've done much better than Sing 2 or Encanto on the box office. It have that Pixar element, an easy to explain concept, an appealing art style for the young children. Disney should've waited longer before removing the theatrical release IMO

1 minute ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Honestly Sing 2 is enough to tell that there is a recovering market for animated movies on theaters. The movie will finish it's run close to $400M, and while might not be a big deal compared to Disney's animations, for a movie that would probably still be down from the first movie even without the pandemic, this is a result that would be silly not to notice.

For me, I think Red could've done much better than Sing 2 or Encanto on the box office. It have that Pixar element, an easy to explain concept, an appealing art style for the young children. Disney should've waited longer before removing the theatrical release IMO

To be fair, Sing 2 is also a sequel (and IP very much has the upper hand in today's market in general, hence why Lightyear is likely to end up saved from a D+ exclusive). It would be easy to go after Disney only if animated movies hadn't ended up banished to streaming left and right throughout the pandemic era (how much fun would it have been to see The Mitchells vs. the Machines in theaters?).

On 3/3/2022 at 10:52 PM, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

The Lost City Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-21 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 52 52 11163 0.47%

So yeah, I know Lost City sales were up prior, but I was too distracted from Batman to really take advantage of it. But there's nothing else to track until Morbius in a couple days, and it'll be a while before we get into the Morbius/Sonic/Beasts triple bout, so might as well play around with this. Plus awareness on The Quorum has been really good for this over the past couple months, which really perked my interest.

Anyhoo, I don't really have any good comps this far out, but I do have Uncharted to look forward to tomorrow. Sadly, I'll have to wait a good, long while for Jungle Cruise and Free Guy, the most appropriate comparisons to use. Seems okay though.

The Lost City Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-20 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 55 79 12340 0.64%

Total Seats Sold Today: 27

Comp

1.013x of Uncharted T-20 (3.75M)

This was still Uncharted's soft launch before it was in the "Tickets Now Available" phase of marketing, so do take this with an extreme grain of salt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

It's way more than AMC and it is here to stay.  It isn't a crazy amount more, but a lot of places are going $1 to $.50 more.  

On the flip side, expect to see various films get cheaper pricing on the back end of their runs when the studios knock down their percentage to 35% or so.  

It's called inflation.

When the price of oil goes up, the price of everything goes up since everything is impacted by high oil prices.