Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-is-the-most-anticipated-movie-of-2023-754674

It is time...

Top Ten Most Anticipated Blockbusters of 2023

1. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3
  2. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
  3. Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
  4. John Wick: Chapter 4
  5. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
  6. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
  7. Mission: Impossible: Dead Reckoning -- Part One
  8. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of the Songbirds and Snakes
  9. Creed III
  10. The Super Mario Bros Film

2023's Most Anticipated Action/Adventure Movies (non-superhero)

1. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
  2. Mission: Impossible: Dead Reckoning -- Part One
  3. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of the Songbirds and Snakes
  4. Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
  5. Fast X

2023’s Most Anticipated Superhero Movies

1. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3
  2. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
  3. Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
  4. The Marvels
  5. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom

2023's Most Anticipated Family Movies:

1. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
  2. The Super Mario Bros. Film
  3. The Little Mermaid
  4. Haunted Mansion
  5. Elemental

2023's Most Anticipated Live-Action Comedies

1. Magic Mike's Last Dance
  2. Barbie
  3. Cocaine Bear
  4. House Party
  5. 80 for Brady

2023's Most Anticipated Horror Thrillers

1. Salem's Lot
  2. Insidious: Fear the Dark
  3. The Exorcist
  4. Scream 6
  5. M3gan

2023's Most Anticipated New Performances

1. Halle Bailey, The Little Mermaid
  2. Viola Davis, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
  3. Jonathan Majors, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
  4. Christopher Walken, Dune: Part 2
  5. Margot Robbie, Barbie

2023's Most Anticipated Heroes

1. Chris Pratt as Star Lord, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
  2. Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
  3. Keanu Reeves as John Wick, John Wick: Chapter 4
  4. Zoe Saldana as Gamora, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
  5. Paul Rudd as Ant-Man, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

2023's Most Anticipated Villains

1. Melissa McCarthy, The Little Mermaid
  2. Bill Skarsgard, John Wick: Chapter 4
  3. Jonathan Majors, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
  4. Jack Black, The Super Mario Bros. Film
  5. Jason Momoa, Fast X

Favorite Genre:

1. Action/Adventure/Superhero
  2. Comedy
  3. Animated/Family
  4. Drama
  5. Horror/Thriller

• Like 3

10 hours ago, krla said:

Inflation being lower just means costs are increasing, but not as quickly. But when you take into account the breakneck inflation of the past year or two, even 'lower' inflation is going to bite into the pocket book. Also, most inflation relief has been fuel prices dropping, but other costs have continued to increase at, or above, the summer rate. Food in particular. Interest rates rising is also hurting people. Don't know how American mortgages are, but in Canada they are 5 year terms, and tons of people are getting hit by sky high rates that are basically doubling their mortgage payment. I feel bad for the people who are currently blissfully unaware of rate hikes, and will end up facing a real shock when they have to renew. I wish 25-30 year fixed mortgages were a thing in Canada.

Here's the thing with inflation.

In the US, social security and welfare benefits get inflation increases, so all those people will get the yearly inflation adjusted into their income.

Regular workers don't get that.  So all those workers, which is the VAST majority of families we're talking about, are losing REAL money b/c they are getting salary raises below the rate of inflation and sometimes FAR below.  And it keeps compounding.

Now that there was a FULL YEAR of grocery inflation of 13%, those prices, even if the inflation slows, don't go down.  And the salaries are still not going up.  So, this becomes a snow ball that does not correct for a long time, even after you can "tame" inflation...

I mean, if overall inflation drops from 9 to 5% next year, but employees see 2 years of 3% raises, they fell behind this year and fall even further behind next year.

And it becomes VERY easy to make trades in entertainment to make sure groceries, heat, and rent are still paid...

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Urgh. I’m hoping 65 changes date. 

The last Scream (and horror movies in general typically) was rather slow during the day so it won't lose much in terms of showtimes that would actually sell. Something like 65 at 1:00 and 7:00 and Scream at 4:00 and 10:00 is the likely scenario.

https://deadline.com/2022/12/avatar-the-way-of-water-christmas-box-office-babylon-puss-in-boots-the-last-wish-1235203394/

Christmas weekend is definitely Avatar: The Way of Water‘s to win at the box office, however, how big or small that is remains the question especially this early in the week. At the bare minimum, the 20th Century Studios/Disney movie should secure $60M-$65M for the 3-day and $90M-$95M for the 4-day. That’s on par with Rogue One: A Star Wars Story which played into its second weekend in a year when Christmas fell on a Sunday. Avatar 2 made $16M yesterday, with a Sunday to Monday decline at -56% which was similar to Rogue One‘s -54%. Rogue One‘s first Monday was $17.5M. Some rivals won’t be surprised if Avatar 2 touches $100M over its four-day run. Through four days, Avatar 2 counts just over $150M.

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, like Sing 2 last year, looks to be the second favorite over the holiday attracting both girls and boys with a 3-day between $15M-$20M at 4,000+ theaters. Sing 2 opened with $22.3M last year over the holiday weekend when Christmas fell on a Saturday. The pic is 96% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes with critics. No previews tonight for the sequel which opens tomorrow. Already, Puss In Boots: The Last Wish has minted $14M in 25 International markets to-date. The sequel will debut in another 28 markets including China, Mexico, Spain and Germany.

The R-rated Margot Robbie-Brad Pitt, 6x Golden Globe nominated Babylon arrives to cinemas after extensive previews by Paramount since mid November with 63% on Rotten Tomatoes. The $80M production, which was shot in and around Santa Clarita, CA, is looking to at least get north of double digits over four-days at 3,342 theaters, particularly with movie’s 3 hours 8 minute running time. It should file behind Puss in Boots 2. The studio is hoping to hook the 18-34 crowd with the pic’s bawdy nature. Previews start on Thursday at 3PM.

Some believe TriStar’s I Wanna Dance With Somebody could eat into the ticket sales of Babylon; the Kasi Lemmons-directed movie eyeing a $12M 4-day at 3,550 locations. BAFTA Award winner Naomi Ackie stars as the tragic R&B superstar Houston and Stanley Tucci stars as record mogul Clive Davis. No Rotten Tomatoes rating yet, which isn’t a good sign as the pic’s previews start at 2PM on Thursday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Korra Legion said:

Puss may have a small chance to do sub 10M OW, over 100M total. No idea what the last one of those was

Is Puss in Boots OW tracking that low?

I was expecting mid to high 20s

Edited by Grebacio

3 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Is Puss in Boots OW tracking that low?

I was expecting mid to high 20s

Tracking seems to be 15+ but I think it!s out to lunch again. Just can’t reconcile that with the OD sales and plausible 3D/OD ratios from sing 1/sing2/etc

2 hours ago, Korra Legion said:

Tracking seems to be 15+ but I think it!s out to lunch again. Just can’t reconcile that with the OD sales and plausible 3D/OD ratios from sing 1/sing2/etc

I sincerely hopes it pulls more walkups than Sing 2 and reaches 20M. Puss in Boots 2 is a really great movie that is almost universally appealing to all demographics. It deserves success. 

Insider reports say the production budget is $90M. The same source that says The Bad Guys budget is $80M. So a good break even would be around $260M-$270M WW.

Edited by Alex SciChannel
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Oh wow that’s terrible for Whitney. Guess we knew it was coming sadly. 

It’s just a prediction.  So far everywhere else I have seen they have put the Whitney movie over Babylon.  I guess we will find out soon.  But to me, the most sad is Babylon because it has a 110 million budget, and they have spent a lot on P&A too.  The Whitney movie I’m sure is nowhere near those budgets so it could still end up being profitable.

Edited by wboxoffice
  • Like 1

Another prediction for next weekend that I found here:

https://toddmthatcher.com/category/box-office-predictionsresults/

For the 3-day weekend:

1 . Avatar: The Way of Water

Predicted Gross: $79.4 million

2. Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

Predicted Gross: $23.3 million (Friday to Sunday); $37.4 million (Wednesday to Sunday)

3. Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody

Predicted Gross: $14 million

4. Babylon

Predicted Gross: $10.7 million

5. Violent Night

Predicted Gross: $3.3 million

6. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Predicted Gross: $3.2 million

5 minutes ago, wboxoffice said:

Another prediction for next weekend that I found here:

https://toddmthatcher.com/category/box-office-predictionsresults/

For the 3-day weekend:

1 . Avatar: The Way of Water

Predicted Gross: $79.4 million

2. Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

Predicted Gross: $23.3 million (Friday to Sunday); $37.4 million (Wednesday to Sunday)

3. Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody

Predicted Gross: $14 million

4. Babylon

Predicted Gross: $10.7 million

5. Violent Night

Predicted Gross: $3.3 million

6. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Predicted Gross: $3.2 million

Over on everything. Multiply all by .75.

Puss in Boots 2, counted today at 10am EST for tomorrow:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7):
65 (6 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24):
28 (11 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18):
11 (5 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 20 (5 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11):
7 (5 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16):
131 (11 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 124 (10 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 386.

Comps: Lyle (575k from previews) had on Wednesday for Thursday (= Lyle had as PiB2 1 day left) 106 sold tickets,

The Legend of Hank (550k) had also on Wednesday for Thursday (= the same) 122 sold tickets

and Super Pets (2.2M) had on Tuesday for Thursday 271 sold tickets.

Puss in Boots 2, counted today at 10am EST for Friday, Dec 23:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7):
68 (9 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24):
17 (5 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18):
2 (10 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 0 (6 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11):
2 (10 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16):
33 (9 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 27 (11 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 149.

Comps: Lyle (11.5M OW) had on Wednesday for Friday (= PiB2 has 1 day left to increase the margin) 97 sold tickets,

The Boss Baby 2 (17.3M) had also on Wednesday for Friday (= again 1 day left for PiB2) 140 sold tickets,

and The Legend of Hank (6.3M) had also on Wednesday for Friday (the same) 91 sold tickets.
And Super Pets (23M) had on Tuesday for Friday 174 sold tickets.

Looks solid, 20M+ 3-day would be my guess at the moment.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Is Puss having previews tonight?

Nope. First showtimes are tomorrow morning.

It did have Thanskgiving EA screenings that were reported to be very successful and will likely be included in the 5-day total.

Edited by Alex SciChannel
  • Like 1