Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

2 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

The Quorum had GotG3 at 4% unaided awareness (given as part of an open ended question as opposed to normal awareness prompted by film name, tagline and poster) a week ago. Herren was on a podcast doing interviews about a new study commissioned by cinema foundation 

@Eric Foreman seems to be keeping track of qorum data so I'll ping him. 

Don't think I noticed any of that stuff. Last I saw was this blog post where Guardians had 6.7% unaided awareness.

https://thequorum.com/this-week-in-unaided-awareness-some-good-news-for-barbie/

6 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

What are the odds that this actually opens below the 1st movie?

it has to pull in a Ant 3 in the final week. Unlikely I would say. But chances of opening below Ant 3 are of course lot higher but I still see this having better weekend run next week. WOM among fans will be good. 

7 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

it has to pull in a Ant 3 in the final week. Unlikely I would say. But chances of opening below Ant 3 are of course lot higher but I still see this having better weekend run next week. WOM among fans will be good. 

Are you talking about 3 or 4 day weekend for Ant-Man? Because I am not sure if it can open above 120M. And even talking about WOM, it can easily have an A- cinemascore, which would be fine but not really that good.

3 minutes ago, oenri said:

Are you talking about 3 or 4 day weekend for Ant-Man? Because I am not sure if it can open above 120M. And even talking about WOM, it can easily have an A- cinemascore, which would be fine but not really that good.

I always do like of like comps unless I explicitly state otherwise. Since Guardians is opening during normal weekend and so no 4 day comps. 

1 hour ago, WorkingonaName said:

A tiktok trend is the only thing that can save this movie. 

Not sure if you're half joking or not but I completely agree with the statement. It probably needs that and maybe its just not hitting that audience.

• Like 1

GotG3 counted today for Thursday, May 4. 5 days to go.

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 472 (10 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 648 (14 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 110 (18 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 96 (8 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 181 (14 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 900 (27 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 1.490 (36 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 3.879.
Comps (all three films counted on Monday of the release week = 2 days left for GotG3): Wakanda Forever (28M) had 6.765 sold tickets,
Morbius (5.7M) had 1.454
and SC (8.8M) had 2.561 sold tickets.
Thor 4 (29M) had 7.843 sold tickets on Tuesday of the release week (= 3 days left for GotG3).

It should reach more than 2/3 of the presales of Wakanda Forever which would mean ca. 20M from previews. From the other three comps it looks a bit worse than 20M (with the jumps that I guess it will have till Monday respectively Tuesday) but not by much.
Of course that's not bad but so far no major improvement.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, el sid said:

GotG3 counted today for Thursday, May 4. 5 days to go.

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 472 (10 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 648 (14 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 110 (18 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 96 (8 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 181 (14 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 900 (27 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 1.490 (36 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 3.879.
Comps (all three films counted on Monday of the release week = 2 days left for GotG3): Wakanda Forever (28M) had 6.765 sold tickets,
Morbius (5.7M) had 1.454
and SC (8.8M) had 2.561 sold tickets.
Thor 4 (29M) had 7.843 sold tickets on Tuesday of the release week (= 3 days left for GotG3).

It should reach more than 2/3 of the presales of Wakanda Forever which would mean ca. 20M from previews. From the other three comps it looks a bit worse than 20M (with the jumps that I guess it will have till Monday respectively Tuesday) but not by much.
Of course that's not bad but so far no major improvement.

Would this be enough for 120M weekend?

2 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

What are the odds that this actually opens below the 1st movie?

5 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Can Guardians dip slightly below 100 mln?

I’m probably lower than most, and right now my 80/90% confidence lower bound is around $15M Thur & 6x = $90M.  But ask me again in a few days once the effect of review bump becomes more apparent, that floor may not hold (or could go up)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Can Guardians dip slightly below 100 mln?

No way. That would be the worst case scenario, which Guardians 3 will easily avoid with positive reviews, an aggressive marketing and a marketplace not so crowded anymore. It should do very well in walk-ups.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Eric Foreman said:

Don't think I noticed any of that stuff. Last I saw was this blog post where Guardians had 6.7% unaided awareness.

https://thequorum.com/this-week-in-unaided-awareness-some-good-news-for-barbie/

huh, weird. I'd probably just go with that image over podcast comments made in response to host's questions. I thought that number sounded slightly low but I guess it could be random variation.