Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

It was weird to me when I started tracking Harkins, on how all seats were sold at same price. 

The variable seating pricing has been norm since day 1. Single screen cinemas had Balcony tickets, Front seat (called stall I think) and separate private box seats

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

@katnisscinnaplex and anyone else using Fandango shortcuts for tracking purposes.

Just did a quick test fire on an AMC that is using the new Value/Standard/Preferred Sightline seating and there is a slight change you should be aware of.

"map__seat " no longer brings up the total number of seats in an auditorium with preferred seating as there is this key toward the bottom of the html:

<!-- salt=srchrg-inf-k6W -->
  <hr class="seat-guide-modal__hairline">
  <div class="surcharge-info">
    <h3 class="sr-only">Value Seats Legend</h3>
    <ul class="surcharge-info__list">

<li class="surcharge-info__item">
              <span role="img" aria-label=" Seat Icon" class="surcharge-info__icon seat-map__seat availableSeat preferred"></span>
              <span class="surcharge-info__details">
                <strong class="surcharge-info__name">AMC Preferred Sightline Seat</strong>
                <span class="surcharge-info__description">Additional $2.00 charge plus tax, or free with AMC Stubs A-List reservations.</span>
              </span>
            </li>

<span role="img" aria-label=" Seat Icon" class="surcharge-info__icon seat-map__seat availableSeat value"></span>
                <strong class="surcharge-info__name">AMC Value Sightline Seat</strong>
                <span class="surcharge-info__description">$2.00 off with AMC Stubs membership</span>
              </span>
            </li>

</ul>
  </div>

Adding a "seat- to the beginning of the search term (to make it ""seat-map__seat ") gives the correct amount of total seats (before adjusting for various blacked out seats and other factors), however as the above usage doesn't have that quotation mark in the bit of code I quoted above. 

Doing another check, this key looks like it is only on showtimes with the variable seat pricing as this key isn't appearing at my locals.

Don't know how often you still use "map__seat ", but I thought I should mention it.

(there is also usage of map__seat p and map__seat v, but I just stick to ReservedSeat" as that works for all seats, no matter the type (including wheelchair slots/companion seats)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 7

23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@katnisscinnaplex and anyone else using Fandango shortcuts for tracking purposes.

Just did a quick test fire on an AMC that is using the new Value/Standard/Preferred Sightline seating and there is a slight change you should be aware of.

"map__seat " no longer brings up the total number of seats in an auditorium with preferred seating as there is this key toward the bottom of the html:

<!-- salt=srchrg-inf-k6W -->
  <hr class="seat-guide-modal__hairline">
  <div class="surcharge-info">
    <h3 class="sr-only">Value Seats Legend</h3>
    <ul class="surcharge-info__list">

<span role="img" aria-label=" Seat Icon" class="surcharge-info__icon seat-map__seat availableSeat preferred"></span>
                <strong class="surcharge-info__name">AMC Preferred Sightline Seat</strong>
                <span class="surcharge-info__description">Additional $2.00 charge plus tax, or free with AMC Stubs A-List reservations.</span>
              </span>
            </li>

<span role="img" aria-label=" Seat Icon" class="surcharge-info__icon seat-map__seat availableSeat value"></span>
                <strong class="surcharge-info__name">AMC Value Sightline Seat</strong>
                <span class="surcharge-info__description">$2.00 off with AMC Stubs membership</span>
              </span>
            </li>

</ul>
  </div>

Adding a "seat- to the beginning of the search term (to make it ""seat-map__seat ") gives the correct amount of total seats (before adjusting for various blacked out seats and other factors), however as the above usage doesn't have that quotation mark in the bit of code I quoted above. 

Doing another check, this key looks like it is only on showtimes with the variable seat pricing as this key isn't appearing at my locals.

Don't know how often you still use "map__seat ", but I thought I should mention it.

(there is also usage of map__seat p and map__seat v, but I just stick to ReservedSeat" as that works for all seats, no matter the type (including wheelchair slots/companion seats)

Do you have an example movie/date/showtime? I checked the theater you linked to and I'm still getting the same number with map__seat and seat-map__seat for each of the shows I've checked for Ant-Man previews that have the variable pricing.

5 minutes ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

Do you have an example movie/date/showtime? I checked the theater you linked to and I'm still getting the same number with map__seat and seat-map__seat for each of the shows I've checked for Ant-Man previews that have the variable pricing.

Add a quotation mark to the beginning of seat-map__seat . :)

There should be a difference between:

map__seat

and

"seat-map__seat

as seen at this showing: https://tickets.fandango.com/MobileExpress/Checkout?row_count=395052292&mid=230783&chainCode=AMC&sdate=2023-02-10 20:30&tid=AAISC

(realize it was a little confusing with how I worded it, sorry.)

Edited by Porthos

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Add a quotation mark to the beginning of seat-map__seat . :)

There should be a difference between:

map__seat

and

"seat-map__seat

as seen at this showing: https://tickets.fandango.com/MobileExpress/Checkout?row_count=395052292&mid=230783&chainCode=AMC&sdate=2023-02-10 20:30&tid=AAISC

(realize it was a little confusing with how I worded it, sorry.)

I'm getting 312 both ways.  I'm wondering if we're doing something differently.

7 minutes ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

I'm getting 312 both ways.  I'm wondering if we're doing something differently.

The actual number is 310.  When I View Source it allows me to tell the difference between this code in the HTML:

class="surcharge-info__icon seat-map__seat availableSeat preferred

(which is part of the key at the bottom which isn't attached to a seat)

and this code

class="seat-map__seat value availableSeat js-hover-tooltip__target"

(where '"seat-map__seat ' is attached to all seats, regardless of type, but is not part of the code at the bottom)

Edited by Porthos

@katnisscinnaplex

Okay, I see what's going on.  Inspect Element (as opposed to View Source) is searching the code very slightly differently.  And I can't figure out how to make Inspect Element differentiate between the two as I ain't as familiar with it.

For Inspect Element, this is the problem part of the code:

as the dual instance of that is what's throwing up a difference.

Since I don't use Inspect Element, my usefulness here is gonna be limited, I'm afraid.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Quorum Updates

Cocaine Bear T-18: 38.03% Awareness, 5.84 Interest

Creed III T-25: 54.58%, 6.23

Moving On T-39: 25.22%, 5.07

Beau is Afraid T-74: 10.51%, 4.40

The Covenant T-74: 18.91%, 5.17

The Flash T-130: 36.05%, 5.75

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom T-322: 50.06%, 6.19

Magic Mike's Last Dance T-4: 41.70% Awareness, 5.16 Interest

Final Awareness: 90% chance of 10M, 57% chance of 20M

Final Interest: 43% chance of 10M, 13% chance of 20M

65 T-32: 23.04% Awareness, 5.88 Interest

T-30 Awareness: 60% chance of 10M, 20% chance of 20M

T-30 Interest: 77% chance of 10M, 64% chance of 20M

Original - High Awareness: 40% chance of 10M, 0% chance of 20M

Original - High Interest: 60% chance of 20M

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

What software do y'all use to find the total tickets told/total seats available? 

Depends on the person. 

Some people have personally written custom scrapers that are highly specialized toward individual websites. 

Others use keyword searches via either the inbuilt Inspect Element tools in web browsers like Google Chrome or are using javascript shortcuts to scan the actual HTML source code (which is what I do). 

And still others brute force everything and just count manually.

Like, me personally? And I realize I'm something of an outlier here since I don't use Inspect Element.  I have added the following javascript shortcut to my bookmark bar (calling the shortcut View Source):

javascript:var sourceWindow %3D window.open%28%27about%3Ablank%27%29%3B %0Avar newDoc %3D sourceWindow.document%3B %0AnewDoc.open%28%29%3B %0AnewDoc.write%28%27<html><head><title>Source of %27 %2B document.location.href %2B %27</title></head><body></body></html>%27%29%3B %0AnewDoc.close%28%29%3B %0Avar pre %3D newDoc.body.appendChild%28newDoc.createElement%28"pre"%29%29%3B %0Apre.appendChild%28newDoc.createTextNode%28document.documentElement.innerHTML%29%29%3B

For most sites, as long as there isn't too much fuckery with frames, clicking the created shortcut will open up the entire HTML source code of whatever current webpage I am looking at into a new window.  From there I search for various keywords/terms/phrases that differentiate sold seats from unsold seats and record it on a spreadsheet.  Unfortunately, do have to know the actual terms used as they differ from site to site and can get changed when websites update their server side software.

So, not an easy answer I'm afraid.  

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Eric Crowe said:

Quorum Updates

Cocaine Bear T-18: 38.03% Awareness, 5.84 Interest

Creed III T-25: 54.58%, 6.23

Moving On T-39: 25.22%, 5.07

Beau is Afraid T-74: 10.51%, 4.40

The Covenant T-74: 18.91%, 5.17

The Flash T-130: 36.05%, 5.75

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom T-322: 50.06%, 6.19

Magic Mike's Last Dance T-4: 41.70% Awareness, 5.16 Interest

Final Awareness: 90% chance of 10M, 57% chance of 20M

Final Interest: 43% chance of 10M, 13% chance of 20M

65 T-32: 23.04% Awareness, 5.88 Interest

T-30 Awareness: 60% chance of 10M, 20% chance of 20M

T-30 Interest: 77% chance of 10M, 64% chance of 20M

Original - High Awareness: 40% chance of 10M, 0% chance of 20M

Original - High Interest: 60% chance of 20M

how is mario and transformers looking?

32 minutes ago, Eric Crowe said:

Here we go again!

Mon Feb 27th

PG13 

120min runtime (placeholder, but can’t be much longer)

The obvious guess would be Creed III which checks all the boxes …

… but could be 65 (releasing the following Friday 3/10) might fit too (no official rating or run time on IMDB yet), also by Sony (same as Missing). Given the crowded March, could see them trying to grab some WOM here, even by going a week earlier for some misdirection 

Champions also would fit, similar reasons, trying to help boost what will be a harder theatrical sell. No Apple movie release in that time frame that I can see, so probably a major studio 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

Mon Feb 27th

PG13 

… but could be 65 (releasing the following Friday 3/10) might fit too (no official rating or run time on IMDB yet), also by Sony (same as Missing). Given the crowded March, could see them trying to grab some WOM here, even by going a week earlier for some misdirection 

Champions also would fit, similar reasons, trying to help boost what will be a harder theatrical sell. No Apple movie release in that time frame that I can see, so probably a major studio 

A Snowy Day in Oakland is still set to release in March (Mar 17) and is PG-13.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Mon Feb 27th

PG13 

65 is 87 minutes long according to AMC.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1