EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

5 hours ago, MrPink said:

IMO, instead of reasons like Omicron, burned off demand, and limited theater staff/showtimes, we should be blaming the absolute erasure that occurs in the mid credits scene of No Way Home. The fans have spoken, and your movie crumbles 

people laugh but I said the first time I saw it - crowd was massively enthusiastic at the start of mid credits followed by  gasps of massive disappointment and disbelief.  Sony and Marvel better look into it cause doubtful my audience was an isolated case.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

23 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I think weekdays will be strong this week

Likely make 60 to 70 million this eek from weekdays

10 minutes ago, Landon1195 said:

I'm going 80M+ for weekdays this week.

If we look at the other $150M openers in December, here's what they did their 2nd Mon-Thurs vs 1st Mon-Thurs....

TFA did 78.3%, giving NWH about $98M if it matches.

TLJ did 126%, giving NWH about $158M.

TROS did 48.8%, giving NWH about $61M.

R1 did 133.6%, giving NWH about $167M.

Looking at all of this, my hope would be no lower than the halfway point between TFA and TROS which would be right at $80M. 

Edited by GoblinXXR
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Disney never cared about Encanto hitting an arbitrary 100 million "milestone".

Lmao. That's strictly box office nerd OCD territory. 

It's possible they don't these days, since their baby is Disney+ I guess.

In the past, though, Disney is historically responsible for TONS of extra pushes to get films to certain milestones. Black Panther to $700m, Wrinkle in Time to $100m, Frozen to $400m, Tangled to $200m, (check out it's weekend gross in May 2011 when Pirates 4 opened), and plenty more in the past. 

69% drop for NWH on par with other massive drops during the Pandemic for Blockbuster films.

I think it's high time people just accept the fact that the pandemic has changed movie theaters and theater going experience. Majority of people will go opening weekend, but if they don't go opening weekend the chances are very high they will not see the film in theaters. And will just wait 2 months and sometimes even less for it to end up on streaming.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I think it's high time people just accept the fact that the pandemic has changed movie theaters and theater going experience. Majority of people will go opening weekend, but if they don't go opening weekend the chances are very high they will not see the film in theaters. And will just wait 2 months and sometimes even less for it to end up on streaming.

fuck off I don't want facts I want blind optimism 

Edited by Mango

The hype for Spidey was too big. People rushed out first weekend to see it. Shang Chi, i believe had good legs. Plus, There are still people who can't be convinced to go back to theaters, especially older people who are not rushing out to see a movie first weekend

11 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Majority of people will go opening weekend, but if they don't go opening weekend the chances are very high they will not see the film in theaters.

NWH is still going to make $450M+ outside of opening weekend, domestically.

Soooooo....no? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The hype for Spidey was too big. People rushed out first weekend to see it. Shang Chi, i believe had good legs. Plus, There are still people who can't be convinced to go back to theaters, especially older people who are not rushing out to see a movie first weekend

Except it was still making a lot of money on the weekdays.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Landon1195 said:

Except it was still making a lot of money on the weekdays.

People on this forum are so flip floppy. The movie went up a few percent on Thursday and Endgame and Star Wars were still the targets, now it does a bit less than expected on some major holidays and people are calling for a hearse and cinema is dead, yadda yadda. 

If most of these people were active on the internet in 1999 you'd be hearing about their Y2K bunkers.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

People on this forum are so flip floppy. The movie went up a few percent on Thursday and Endgame and Star Wars were still the targets, now it does a bit less than expected on some major holidays and people are calling for a hearse and cinema is dead, yadda yadda. 

If most of these people were active on the internet in 1999 you'd be hearing about their Y2K bunkers.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76110a403133d5c1a35d99

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, GoblinXXR said:

If we look at the other $150M openers in December, here's what they did their 2nd Mon-Thurs vs 1st Mon-Thurs....

TFA did 78.3%, giving NWH about $98M if it matches.

TLJ did 126%, giving NWH about $158M.

TROS did 48.8%, giving NWH about $61M.

R1 did 133.6%, giving NWH about $167M.

Looking at all of this, my hope would be no lower than the halfway point between TFA and TROS which would be right at $80M. 

RO and TLJ are better matches to the calendar 🤞

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76110a403133d5c1a35d99

Unfortunately no, lol. I've seen many meltdowns on these boards over the years. In a way it's kind of nice. No better way to tell the box office is making a comeback than seeing these forums freaking out over stellar numbers.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

Unfortunately no, lol. I've seen many meltdowns on these boards over the years. In a way it's kind of nice. No better way to tell the box office is making a comeback than seeing these forums freaking out over stellar numbers.

This situation is very similar to Spider-Man Homecoming. That movie dropped 62% (mainly due to War for the Planet of the apes) and many people were doubting it could make $300M domestically. Then it was able to recover and have great holds later on. I think the same could happen with No Way Home. 

• Like 1