EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

18 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

We've gone through a 2-year drought of megagrossers, and when No Way Home only barely misses 700M, that's not good enough? Ohhhhhhhhhkayyyyy

yep. Missing 700m would be terrible considering that opening. Still should have a chance to get there though 

Just now, Mango said:

Assuming we manage a full recovery to moviegoing around late 2022/2023 I'm fully expecting the movie to dethrone TFA one of these days to be something out of left field like another Titanic or something. If SW and Avengers can't make a billion it's gonna have to be some sort of phenomenon/zeitgeist movie.

I think the game has changed too much at this point for an unknown IP to do it. Just my opinion of course and I'd love to be wrong but I think we're too deep into the franchise era for an Avatar or Titanic type event to happen again.

• Like 1

I’m sorry, boys. We purposely did not take the nephew this weekend, and we’re going on to the IMAX on Tuesday. Friday and Saturday were Christmas, and Sunday is football, and Tuesday is a discount. So this is my fault. I didn’t realize it was going to create a catastrophe. I accept full responsibility and deeply apologize. In the future I will make sure to go on the weekends only.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Cap said:

I’m sorry, boys. I will take full responsibility for this. We purposely did not take the nephew this weekend, and we’re going on to the IMAX on Tuesday. Friday and Saturday were Christmas, and Sunday is football, and Tuesday is a discount. So this is my fault. I didn’t realize it was going to create a catastrophe. I thankfully accept responsibility and deeply apologize. In the future I will make sure to go on the weekends only.

BOT's collective response to Cap:

captain-america-sit-down.gif

Spoiler

Really, is there anything that could be added that the gif doesn't say/imply?

I think not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Also don't forget that this is the first Christmas since 2019 that a lot of people have gathered and might be focused on family time and not so eager to just run out to the theater on Christmas Day.  Will be interesting to see what the number is tomorrow.  

Not buying it. The whole week wasnt great. On tuesday it was because of discounts deals hurting the numbers, friday people hoped for atleast 20m it didnt reach that and like thanksgiving weekend the movies reached high-end of tracking. I was hoping for over endgame dom, but its pretty clear that demanded is burning out fast.

• ...wtf 1

Just now, Tokugennumataka said:

Don't think so. 26th will be higher than 25th

True, Tangled and Yogi Bear did get a nice little jump. In most cases, a slight drop happens after Christmas for new openers but who knows. Still was hoping for a stronger jump more akin to the Fockers.

I agree that context is important when looking at Spidey's run. To build on @Porthos's point, we're looking at a behemoth of a film that is doing gangbusters - full stop - but also given the continuing pandemic, increasing concern about Covid/Omicron from the general population, a film that likely skews/appeals to younger crowds (comparatively speaking), Christmas eve falling on the weekend, etc.

Moreover, $50 million (19.2%) of the opening weekend came from previews, which is high for an MCU film, and suggests that we ought to expect a higher drop on its second weekend than we might have initially assumed. Even Infinity War and Endgame only had 15.1% and 16.8% of their opening weekends from previews, and these were culminations of years of Marvel stories.

In a way, then, some math can even help remind us of context. :) 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Anyway, yeah, pretty weak. But it’s been a long time since this calendar and there are some unique circumstances. Gotta wait until Mon before declaring this a full on disaster level crumble ;) 

This will have the worst legs of any A+ Cinemascore, $50M previews film releasing in December in the history of cinema! This make John Carter look like Avatar!