EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Mega loling at anyone even remotely thinking tenis is mainstream in any region of the European Union. Literally bursted out laughing. It is a niche thing that would never make a movie like King Richard a big hit.

Do you think tennis is a #1 sport in the US or something...? It's very odd to suggest that the US is any particular base of popularity for tennis when the vast majority of top players are from Europe. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Mega loling at anyone even remotely thinking tenis is mainstream in any region of the European Union. Literally bursted out laughing. It is a niche thing that would never make a movie like King Richard a big hit.

yeah should have been big in Japan tho

46696-viz-media-serves-prince-tennis-itu

I feel like pre-Covid, King Richard opens to $15-20 million and gets to $70-80 million, maybe $100m if it was leggy. A nice total but no where near The Blind Side, though still big for a tennis movie. When Will Ferrell was making Talladega Nights and Blades of Glory and Semi-Pro, I was hoping he'd throw a tennis movie in there. I love tennis, it needs a box office hit. Chess movies also do pretty grim numbers domestically, but Queen's Gambit was a sensation. Maybe a tennis show will be a huge streaming hit someday.

With superhero and horror movies recovering to pre-pandemic levels, it's easy to say that anything that flopped was just boring or unappealing or whatever. But whole genres are just dying right now, their audience is just waiting for streaming, or the mythical time when Covid disappears. It really sucks to consider how hits of recent years would be lucky to make a third of what they did, if they were released right now: Knives Out, Hidden Figures, La La Land, 1917, Ford v Ferrari,  Hustlers... Even stuff like The Upside and The Mule crossed $100 million and critics hated tthem. IMO the more types of movies that succeed in theaters, the better. Of course blaming the MCU is stupid: things change, some genres benefit, others don't.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

31-32

Will be tough to get $90 million with that, but still great nonetheless. A bit more frontloaded than expected, but after such a monster opening it won't matter. $600m is a guarantee and Black Panther is doing down, very outside possibility of Avatar.

9 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

Damn I was hoping for atleast $35, well with no competition in january i can still hope for NWH to pass Avatar atleast

Not with the way it's dropping. You better just hope for Black Panther at this point and be happy at that. 

1 minute ago, GoblinXXR said:

Not with the way it's dropping. You better just hope for Black Panther at this point and be happy at that. 

Many theaters are still having capacity and staffing issues along with reduced hours.  There is zero competition until nearly February.  

It should roll on strong for a long time.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Also don't forget that this is the first Christmas since 2019 that a lot of people have gathered and might be focused on family time and not so eager to just run out to the theater on Christmas Day.  Will be interesting to see what the number is tomorrow.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1