EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

that is what happens when you release stuff people don’t want to see 

Let's not pretend these movies would have performed like this without the pandemic (and on Matrix's case, pandemic AND day & date release).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Let's not pretend these movies would have performed like this without the pandemic (and on Matrix's case, pandemic AND day & date release).

Given the reception and absolutely terrible legs Covid is more responsible for people looking at what they want to watch more critically instead of just having people flood out regardless of how good a movie looks.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Given the reception and absolutely terrible legs Covid is more responsible for people looking at what they want to watch more critically instead of just having people flood out regardless of how good a movie looks.

I think you're right on this, people are more picky atm when it comes to big stuff. I expect that to die down as COVID lessens though.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

I think so but I think Covid ensures a Dud becomes a super dud

• Like 2

I'm not really in the doom/gloom camp with a lot of others. Very few were expecting Matrix to put up numbers of any significance with the release date/HBO Max two punch. Sing will most certainly perform higher numbers next week than this week, but even that wasn't exactly a "must see", also remember Spidey is arguably the superhero with the most family-audience appeal so I can imagine that is cutting into it as well. 

Numbers can get better, it's up to the studios though. We need must-see movies that aren't day-and-date streaming or on their way to a Roku or Chromecast near you a few weeks later. I will say one thing, for the box office to thrive again we need the 90-day window back. I don't think this 30-45 day window is going to help things very much. I don't really get why studios are so gung-ho on having the movies  streaming so soon. It seems like it would make more sense financially to let a movie make money for 3-4 months at the box office, then reap the rewards of streaming after. You get bank from the theater and people know they can stream it whenever they want once it hits the service. I don't think anyone will immediately unsubscribe to Disney+ if Disney came out and said "Hey, Doctor Strange and Lightyear will run 3-4 months in theaters before coming to streaming" It's coming to the platform regardless. That said, I don't run a studio and have zero actual experience with that kind of shit, so I'm sure on whatever metrics they've studied and stockholders have seen are probably influencing it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Godawful numbers all around, I'd be stunned if no delays at this point. Doubt anything in January grosses more than 20m total. 

Merry Christmas, love y'all!

Morbius will do fine but I honestly think Sony should delay their entire lineup by two months. Europe won't be open for Morbius and Uncharted to play in it.

• Disbelief 1

12 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Glass half-full: Still an improvement on last year

I had like this paragraph of shit talking about how much better things look right now than a year ago, and how the Omicron Persei 8 variant is poor timing, more vaccines and boosters are coming, blah blah blah but I also know fuck all about medical science and am not a fortune teller. It's easy to get down after all that's happened but tbh on an optimistic side I do think things are looking pretty good for 2022. I didn't expect us to get this far in 2021 but if we keep pushing through I do like to think there's a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere. 

Nostalgia hits different when you were an adult during the initial experience. 

People were mostly adults when they saw The Matrix in 1999.

Now as middle age adults they're only slightly curious about Matrix 4.

But people go crazy for stuff from their childhood like Star Wars/Spider-man/ Avengers if executed well.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 5

I'm also not quite ready to press the panic button yet. Frankly, many of the films that have underperformed in this climate probably wouldn't have been great bets pre-COVID either. There are a few films - Encanto and King Richard really spring to mind here - that I think would have been massive hits just a few years ago, but otherwise, I haven't really been all that surprised by the pervasive lack of enthusiasm outside of a few big tentpoles. If anything, it also kinda makes Dune passing $100 million - especially as an adaptation that was in no way a sure thing to connect with mainstream audiences, and one that was on HBO Max simultaneously - feel more impressive than it probably should on paper.

I mean, it's definitely not an ideal marketplace, but market recovery is going to take time for audiences who - unlike many of us here - don't necessarily feel that they need to go to a theater to see something that isn't a massive tentpole.

• Like 1

If a new Matrix was made for anybody, it's me and I'm seeing it Monday with a deep sense of ambivalence. 

I was 13 when the first came out and it really was a landmark film for me (still holds up). Always imagined it was the '99 equivalent to kids seeing the original Star Wars. To this day, Reloaded remains my most anticipated film ever....and the greatest disappointment. As much as I still love the original, it carries little nostalgia. I think the blame for that is 50/50 on the sequels and the first one not exactly being full of memorable characters you want to see more of. It's a wonderful stand-alone film that should've stayed that way but here we are.

This is a long way of saying I understand why it hasn't garnered more interest. 

Edited by RichWS
  • Like 3

Speaking of: Some notable Disney Springs Xmas Day stats.

the 7:45 House of Gucci has sold 77 tickets

the 6:45 Nightmare Alley has sold 5, the 9:10 has sold 2

the 5:00 Red Rocket has sold 6, the 8:15 has sold 4

Encanto is still selling well, but the 10:00 show is currently at 0 sold

everything else is selling from good to great.

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

I'm also not quite ready to press the panic button yet. Frankly, many of the films that have underperformed in this climate probably wouldn't have been great bets pre-COVID either. There are a few films - Encanto and King Richard really spring to mind here - that I think would have been massive hits just a few years ago,

Not sure about these two. They didn't do well OS either and OS showed up in droves for many movies including some targeting families aka 4 quad movies. Encanto still hasn't passed 100M OS (probably happening these days which is terrible for Disney animation brand) and they have no D+ excuse. People just didn't care about this one. I guess King Richard is like other Oscary dramas starring Will Smith - no splosions, no audience.