EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Many theaters are still having capacity and staffing issues along with reduced hours.  There is zero competition until nearly February.  

It should roll on strong for a long time.  

We will see what happens. Looking ahead, let's go wit something like....

405.5M to date

614M through Jan 4th

100-120M after that

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

We've gone through a 2-year drought of megagrossers, and when No Way Home only barely misses 700M, that's not good enough? Ohhhhhhhhhkayyyyy

Yeah, I was about to say "People sure did get spoiled in a hurry, didn't they?"

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Like, I get it.  I mean, I really do.  At the same time I think sometimes this board falls in love with The Math a little too much and forgets to take a look At The Big Picture.

The Math Says: Disappointing rise, therefore we will be Put Out.

The Big Picture Says: MY FUCKING GOODNESS, NWH IS STOMPING ON EVERYTHING AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE, ESPECIALLY GIVEN THE SITUATION.

Now I realize as a Big Math Nerd that this is near heresy, but sometimes one should probably tell The Math to shut up, sit in a corner, and reflect on things. ;)

We just wanted something to finally crush that derivative Star Wars movie that currently holds the domestic record.....

Spoiler

I only said this to agitate the lovely Porthos! 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The Math Says: Disappointing rise, therefore we will be Put Out.

The Big Picture Says: MY FUCKING GOODNESS, NWH IS STOMPING ON EVERYTHING AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE, ESPECIALLY GIVEN THE SITUATION.

Not to mention, we really don’t know what the Math says about how a megagrosser should perform in a pandemic. Anyone that thinks it’s disappointing is being kinda ridiculous

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, GoblinXXR said:

(I only said this to agitate the lovely Porthos!)

It would agitate me if 1) I thought you meant it and 2) the opinion actually meant anything to me. ;)

Or, if one prefers, in meme form:

arrested-development-eye-roll.gif

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, GoblinXXR said:

We just wanted something to finally crush that derivative Star Wars movie that currently holds the domestic record.....

Hide contents

I only said this to agitate the lovely Porthos! 

Assuming we manage a full recovery to moviegoing around late 2022/2023 I'm fully expecting the movie to dethrone TFA one of these days to be something out of left field like another Titanic or something. If SW and Avengers can't make a billion it's gonna have to be some sort of phenomenon/zeitgeist movie.

I've actually believed this since TFA was doing the numbers in 2015/2016. Once Endgame opened with it's earth-shattering openings for a split second I thought that would do it instead but once it came back down to earth around weeks 3/4 my original expectation was renewed.

Edited by Mango

2 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Not to mention, we really don’t know what the Math says about how a megagrosser should perform in a pandemic. Anyone that thinks it’s disappointing is being kinda ridiculous

I mean, true.  And kinda implied by the qualifier "given the situation" in my post.

At the same time I do think this board falls in love with The Math a little too quickly and deeply sometimes and thus a (somewhat ;)) gentle reminder that Math Isn't Everything is prob apropos once in a while. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1