EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

If it's a exclisuve theatrical release, i agree with CJohn, no more than 70M

This is Shang Chi all over again for you.

I don't think it's going to do amazing or anything, but it'll be closer to $70M OW than it will be to $70M DOM.

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 2

3 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

I don't think it's going to do amazing or anything, but it'll be closer to $70M OW than it will be to $70M DOM.

heheh  but seriously, the last one was hated, had poor legs. This will pay the price

My Shang chi prediction was mostly because i thought Corona would kill it

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 3

I already said this like two weeks ago, but even if you take out the Rowling/Depp stuff, I just don't think Fantastic Beasts has really captured the attention of folks, outside of the hardcore Potter fans. Anecdotal, but the reactions about the first Fantastic Beasts around me weren't anything spectacular and Grindelwald turned away a lot of people. And keep in mind, I was a massive Potter fanatic growing up and made a lot of friends through that series. Deathly Hallows Part II had me choked up when I saw it opening day, and I still really love a lot of the aspects of the original books and movies (Screw Joanne tho). But even I can't bring myself to care. 75M DOM sounds right to me.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Days of Future Past: 234M

Fantastic Beasts 1: 234M

Apocalypse: 155M

Grindelwald: 159M

Dark Phoenix: 66M

Dumbledore: ???

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I can see either or for FB3. A total near $70m or just above $100m. 

I do see a scenario where Sonic 2 OW > Beasts 3 DOM is possible. 

If it weren’t for the fact family audiences are uncertain, also depends on if Turning Red can open to 40m, Sonic 2 seems like it has a shot for $75m OW.

4 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

FB3 will make $100M+ at 100%.

Yea this isn't Dark Phoenix. It'll open to $50M+ and finish over $100M. They're advertising this intelligently by putting 'Dumbledore' in the title and de-emphasizing the 'Fantastic Beasts' part of it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

If it weren’t for the fact family audiences are uncertain, also depends on if Turning Red can open to 40m, Sonic 2 seems like it has a shot for $75m OW.

Honestly I think Sonic isn't affected too much by the lack of families. No joke, when I saw the first Sonic movie, my showing only had like two kids in the audience. It was weird.

I can see FB3 really bombing, the trailer seemed like it just came and went with little buzz, but I think the Potter fanbase is more committed than X-Men. That said it's having a hefty drop from the last film regardless, just hard to tell how much. 110ish would be my gut guess for now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

I was talking to a friend just now and you know what I still don't fucking believe? That Marvel's Eternals, directed by Chloe Zhao and produced by Kevin Feige which was sold as MCU is going to the Oscars, is sitting at 47% on RT. My mind always takes a bit to process that information. My friend told me every time he remembers he needs to check RT to confirm it is true. That is a thing that happened. The whiplash I feel every time I see it or think about it is crazy.

Did you just come back from the playground again or something buddy?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

As far as FB3 goes most of the people i know that absolutely love HP (mid 20's girls that is) aren't all that enthused about FB3 due to Amber Heard still being attached to it.

She's not...in those movies?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CJohn said:

People thinking FB3 will do well are insane. Shit will tank DOM and end with like a 70M DOM total or something. This is the Dark Phoenix/Convergent of the franchise.

I have never been more convinced this movie is going to do well now.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3