Eric the Fall Guy

MLK 2021 Weekend Thread | Scream 3.5 Previews

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I don't think dismiss an 36M holiday opening for a Rated R movie releasing right in the middle of an extremely fast spread covid wave is really a matter of opinion, especially when the last entry opened with only 18M in way better circunstances.

I really worry about the industry relying so much on IP's but numbers are numbers.

They're fine numbers but we can't keep using the argument of covid waves when horror genre is one of the only genres where moviegoing demographic has constantly shown up for in last year. It's not a factor to them. 

I posted in Scream thread but horror in 2011 is in a much weaker place than it currently is. 

6 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Do you... realize the context....?

One is a horror sequel in over 3000 theaters in a marketplace where horrors are one of the most flops hits. The other is an original adult drama in under 800 theaters in a marketplace where dramas are one of the most consistent flops.... "Only" 8m worth of people has already made it one of the higher grossing films of its kind this year which is an accomplishment... You do realize it's never had a full expansion in two months yet it's already gotten this much interest...right?

who cares seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Like 1

Just now, AdrianL said:

30m+ is meh??? Seriously? Ignoring presales and everything did anyone seriously think a Scream reboot can open with 45m+ even pre-pandemic?

I don't see why a top horror franchise couldn't hit those heights. Halloween 18 did 76m. Friday the 13th 09 did 40.5m. This is on pace with 2010's Elm Street remake with 32.9m but that had awful reviews and no Englund as Freddy. 

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

One is a horror sequel in over 3000 theaters in a marketplace where horrors are one of the most flops hits. The other is an original adult drama in under 800 theaters in a marketplace where dramas are one of the most consistent flops.... "Only" 8m worth of people has already made it one of the higher grossing films of its kind this year which is an accomplishment... You do realize it's never had a full expansion in two months yet it's already gotten this much interest...right?

This doesn’t make any sense. Your original post was ironic. I pointed it out. That context doesn’t change it.

No, I’m not impressed that the film has made $8m in two months including Christmas and new year.

I’ll move on now, don’t want to derail the thread. 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Dragon said:

The lost city got alot of laughs in my during the previews so I can see it opening over 30 mil.

It looks good, old fashioned fun. The problem is the target audience (older adults) are kinda not back at the theater. This will test the waters

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I don't see why a top horror franchise couldn't hit those heights. Halloween 18 did 76m. Friday the 13th 09 did 40.5m. This is on pace with 2010's Elm Street remake with 32.9m but that had awful reviews and no Englund as Freddy. 

…. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

This doesn’t make any sense. Your original post was ironic. I pointed it out. That context doesn’t change it.

No, I’m not impressed that the film has made $8m in two months including Christmas and new year.

I’ll move on now, don’t want to derail the thread. 

Yikes. Maybe you'd be impressed if one of the characters had a Ghostface mask in it?

It also literally spent 1 month in just like 4 theaters in Ny and LA (only 1 LA theater)... lol...

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash
  • Knock It Off 1

Moderation

@BestPicturePlutoNash That's enough. Straight up, that is enough. If you want to say that Scream's opening was underwhelming and that it could have done better? Fine. If you want to argue with people about it, even if a lot will disagree with you? More than fine. But if you're just going to antagonize or bully people, then get out. Do this again and you will be threadbanned.

• Like 2

When I saw the Friday number of Scream I was a bit disappointed too. But than I thought about it in an objective way and it's just so stupid to be even slightly disappointed.

30M+ (and close to 40M 4-day) for part 5 of a franchise which is almost older than its audience, with a not too well received part 4 which also opened to less than 20M, released in January, with Omicron fears, with restrictions in Canada ... it's a great result.

Probably I hoped that if this movie breaks out it will rekindle the theatrical movie business in general. But that's not the problem of this movie. If only other films would have had such a successful weekend...

Plus it's my own (weekly appearing as it seems ^^) fault that I always expect that the best looking comp is also the most fitting one.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

If @DAJK inputs from HK comp is to go by, Canada didn't really matter much for either of them.

But it still made money here.  So none of that is coming in this time.  Every dollar counts.