Taylor

Scream VI (March 10, 2023)

Looks great! Shame about the lack of Neve, but it looks fun, and I suppose it doesn’t have to strain to give her another reason to be dragged into another Ghostface killer motive (got to admit, as much as I like Sidney, it’s getting a bit ridiculous just how many times she’s been targeted now).

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Is it spoilery?

It’s hard to tell with these films. I’d say the trailers for 4 and 5 gave more away in terms of potential deaths. 

Them using “I’m something different” and “you’ve never seen a ghostface like this” has me very very curious. 

53 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

What has this series become? I pine for the tongue in cheek satire.

Got to admit, while I liked the trailer from a slasher perspective, it does seem to be missing the satire that made the original stand out. I feel like that tone would be difficult to recreate without Wes Craven behind the camera or Kevin Williamson penning the script though.

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

To be fair, I doubt the writers/directors knew that Ortega would blow up the way she did in the last few months. But in hindsight, they should have definitely focused on her character more in this movie.

We don’t know that they haven’t yet. It definitely seems like she has more screen  time in this one, and she was rising in popularity even before Wednesday (particularly in genre films like ‘X’), plus her opening scene from the last film was widely praised, so I’m sure the writers took all of that into consideration.

• Like 2

A change of tone will be good for this franchise tbh 

The satire aspect of it is an cliche itself at this point, the fifth movie for all it's clever ideas at first ended up turning the franchise exactly in what Wes criticized... it's a formulaic, stuck in a pattern, repetitive and unoriginal project. 

The meta aspect about elevated horror and the whole discussion about requels was fun, but that doesn't really matters that much for the structure of the movie, it's just a distraction for the fact that is basically a copy of the other movies tonally and narratively. 

Letting Neve Campbell go is a good direction, change the set to NY is a good direction, and change the tone of it is an amazing direction... this is what can make the franchise looks fresh again.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

A change of tone will be good for this franchise tbh 

The satire aspect of it is an cliche itself at this point, the fifth movie for all it's clever ideas at first ended up turning the franchise exactly in what Wes criticized... it's a formulaic, stuck in a pattern, repetitive and unoriginal project. 

The meta aspect about elevated horror and the whole discussion about requels was fun, but that doesn't really matters that much for the structure of the movie, it's just a distraction for the fact that is basically a copy of the other movies tonally and narratively. 

Letting Neve Campbell go is a good direction, change the set to NY is a good direction, and change the tone of it is an amazing direction... this is what can make the franchise looks fresh again.

I suppose you’re right, I enjoyed Scream ‘22 when it came out, by I don’t feel like it holds up to rewatches particularly well and I do now consider it the weakest, partly because of how much it was trying to emulate the first film, but not quite succeeding. If this ends up being the ‘Jason Takes Manhattan’ chaotic slasher that THAT film promised but never delivered on (due to Jason spending 80 minutes on a boat), it could be fun.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Boxofficerules said:

Why?

Jenna Ortega's popularity rise, for one. With her it seems to go beyond the typical case of an actor breaking out in popularity. This has been a quick and intense burst on to the scene for her. I feel like there will be a lot of people there on opening weekend who maybe wouldn't have bothered before.

Add in the unique concept (New York and more of a "public" setting in general) on top of the last one bringing the franchise back to the horror forefront and you have the potential recipe for a massive breakout.

It's a wild prediction, I get that, but measured predictions are boring!

I know social media is a bubble but I've been seeing a lot of viral posts/memes on Twitter and TikTok. The franchise definitely seems to be revitalized, and Ortega's newfound starpower will only help. I could definitely see it doing better than S5.

• Like 1