filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

PS - So, I watched Derek and Julianne Hough's "Step Into The Movies" special this month.

And I decided, after this year's fiasco (which is overshadowed by the slap, but which wasn't good without it), ABC should give them the Oscars and rather than any comedy skits or stand up routines in the show, or any speeches, they should really just sail through giving Oscars to the awardees as they sing and dance their way through the nominated and not nominated movies of 2022 and those with "anniversaries"...have them know all the winners in advance and set it up to be a celebration of fun...

Done in 2 hours in a child-like and cheesy "awe" way that still amazes and brings in all the folks people want to see doing what they want to see...

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Does anybody remember Coda won? Lmao. Fucking Big Willie.

The hearing impaired guy I work with pointed out that Coda contributes to a story trend where deaf characters and stories revolve around music and said we'll soon remember it as "Deaf Green Book" so.... there's that.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

I just looked up the songs she's been nominated for... and I can see why

That's kind of not true. Nothings gonna stop us now from Mannequin, and especially I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing from Armageddon are all-time classic songs even outside the context of the movies.

Mannequin losing to Dirty Dancing makes complete sense. But Armageddon was where she should have won instead of the Prince of Egypt song.

15.4M viewers, which is an okay increase but nowhere near the 20M they were targeting, maybe they will add all sources and come up with 20M tomorrow

If only the Oscars themselves were as fast as the numbers counters at ABC.

Mere minutes after fast affiliate data for the 94th Academy Awards was out, the Disney-owned net that pays tens of millions a year to broadcast Hollywood’s biggest but stumbling night was out with the adjusted fast nationals.

Moving up a bit from the preliminary data, the 2022 Oscars is now estimated to have had 15.4 million viewers and snagged a rating of 2.9 among adults 18-49.

Apples to apples with the same metrics, that’s a 56% increase in audience over last year and 68% in the important demo. However, even with what looks like big leaps over 2021, the 2022 Oscars are still the second lowest in AMPAS history.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tarintino said:

What is the world coming to when comedians can't make jokes. No wonder comedy is dying, he says one funny thing and gets a slap. He took it on the chin better than Will Smith did who himself even found it funny until his Mrs gave him that look, guys needs to grow a pair

Are people really trying to make this about cancel culture, lol?  Please, this is not about cancel culture or comedians not being able to make jokes and I'm definitely someone who believes society has become way too delicate in recent years.

All that happened here was a tryhard made a rather lame joke at the expense of Jada's hair loss condition and Will Smith overreacted.  Anyone reading anymore into it has an axe to grind.

Its still one of the best moments ever on TV though.   Will Smith smacks Chris Rock on stage, cusses him out, and gets up there 20 minutes later to win his Oscar.  Absolute legend stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Apparently Venus Williams had a nipslip on live TV and it isn't even in the top 10 things people are talking about. It was a mega shitshow last night.

31 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That's kind of not true. Nothings gonna stop us now from Mannequin, and especially I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing from Armageddon are all-time classic songs even outside the context of the movies.

Mannequin losing to Dirty Dancing makes complete sense. But Armageddon was where she should have won instead of the Prince of Egypt song.

This is one of my favorite songs ever. Anytime it plays I stop what I’m doing and sing along with it even if I’m in a public place. I know all the words but I’m a terrible singer lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Are people really trying to make this about cancel culture, lol?  Please, this is not about cancel culture or comedians not being able to make jokes and I'm definitely someone who believes society has become way too delicate in recent years.

All that happened here was a tryhard made a rather lame joke at the expense of Jada's hair loss condition and Will Smith overreacted.  Anyone reading anymore into it has an axe to grind.

Its still one of the best moments ever on TV though.   Will Smith smacks Chris Rock on stage, cusses him out, and gets up there 20 minutes later to win his Oscar.  Absolute legend stuff.

It didn't overreact. I can call "overracting or being an asshole" what Kanye West did to Taylor Swift some years ago. That was wrong and weird but I mean it's just that.

What Will smith did yesyerday is atrociuos.  There is really someone  trying to find reasonable excuses of something like that, going on a stage and beating someone on live television.

The fact people accept that cause the person in question is one of the richest and powerful man in entertainment makes me sick. Rich people are not better than you. Stop with the excuses.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/oscars-tv-ratings-sunday-march-27-2022-1235120758/

Preliminary rating: 13.73m, up from 10.4m last year but no way close to pre pandemic time

LOL, all that pandering the Academy did catering to ABC and for what? SAG did their same old show and the ratings doubled.. Quite the competition this season, for Biggest Tryhard with the Least Results. ETA, the 15 million number is more like it, but this would've naturally happened IMO.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Look at Diane Warren's reaction. I think she has had it with being nominated but not winning

They could've just nominated that song from Annette. Anyway, Warren’s not going to win for these dreary ballads from movies with no other awards prospects.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

It's probably better for it, honestly. If The Slap had never happened, all the energy today on Twitter would've been devoted to CODA bashing. Right now,, it's more The Artist than Crash or Green Book.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

I have a suggestion for the Academy.

Make the next awards show actually about the movies. Make it shorter, tighter and choose someone as the moderator that gives more movie trivia instead of bad jokes. Give the more technical categorys more spotlight by actually maybe letting some professionals explain why for example editing and cinematography matters. Dont let people slap other people on stage.

In essence - make it a movie celebration show.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I have a suggestion for the Academy.

Make the next awards show actually about the movies. Make it shorter, tighter and choose someone as the moderator that gives more movie trivia instead of bad jokes. Give the more technical categorys more spotlight by actually maybe letting some professionals explain why for example editing and cinematography matters. Dont let people slap other people on stage.

In essence - make it a movie celebration show.

Kevin Costner was the only one who got the assignment. Legend!

EDIT: Oh right, Lady Gaga too. Get those guys to host next year, that would be amazing.

• Like 2