filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

Packer says that once he confirmed the physical assault, Rock insisted to him that he was fine. The LAPD came into Packer’s office and were “laying out very clearly what Chris’ rights are. They were saying: This is battery. We will go get him. We’re prepared. We’re prepared to get him right now. You can press charges. We’ll arrest him.”

But Packer says Rock was being “very dismissive” of those options, reiterating he was fine. “Even to the point where I said, ‘Rock, let him finish’.”

When they asked if he would like them to take action, Rock said no.

Wow! I thought that with the Academy and producers presenting 5,000 versions of events, that he'd skate with a suspension for a year or so. Still, you can't just go on stage and pop someone at the Oscars because they told a tactless joke. This was the best move to get everyone to move on, but what a fall from grace Will has had in less than a week.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Wow! I thought that with the Academy and producers presenting 5,000 versions of events, that he'd skate with a suspension for a year or so. Still, you can't just go on stage and pop someone at the Oscars because they told a tactless joke. This was the best move to get everyone to move on, but what a fall from grace Will has had in less than a week.

Just goes to show, Will and Grace don't go well together.

• Haha 6

Smith made his own bed and now he can lie in it, as the old saying goes.

Actions have consequences, folks.

Not impressed by the producer's statement. Whether or not to have Smith removed was his call, and he threw it on Rock. Well, he will never produce another Oscar show......

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

Nice to see this untalented scientologist freak kicked out. 

He i talented, but yeah,  something is wrong with anybody who falls for Scientology, a toxic cult if ever there was one.

• Like 1

I think this is the best move Smith could've done tbh. Biggest acknowledgement to date that he knows what he did was wrong.

He'll be a member again someday though. Time heals all wounds, and if they were willing to welcome back someone like Mel Gibson with all the baggage he has with open arms as a nominee...

I don’t see why anyone would take the joke badly.. Gi Jane is a good looking strong female character who happens to be bald.. what exactly is so offensive about being compared to her? 

If you’ve embraced being bald like she claims shouldn’t this light joke empower you? 

Despite all of that if people think there is supposed to be rules to jokes then they don’t understand comedy.. comedy is all about being able to make light of everything regardless of the subject.. there’s always going to be someone offended 

6-A6-A14-A3-8-F65-4-B58-92-B8-3-A52-CA0-

• Like 5

15 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It’s amazing isn’t it.. how to turn winning an Oscar into a moment you want to forget!

Things have been bubbling under the surface for a long time.. his family with the exception of Willow are weird and then when you factor in the Scientology I’m actually surprised Smith took this long to show his Tom Cruise batshit crazy episode.

Edited by VENOM
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I would also hope for a proper review for what can be joke about during ceremony. Rock’s joke about medical condition in front of live tv telecast, despite overshadowed by smith’s act, is still an awful gesture.

Maybe we should establish a govt ministry of correct jokes to be established. 

😏