filmlover

Best Picture Predictions: 2022

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

New predicts:

Reveal hidden contents

10x:

Everything Everywhere All at Once (Picture, Director, Actress, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Editing, Costume Design, Makeup and Hairstyling, Visual Effects, Sound)

9x:

Killers of the Flower Moon (Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Production Design, Costume Design)

8x:

Avatar: The Way of Water (Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, Visual Effects, Sound)

Babylon (Picture, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Production Design, Costume Design, Score)

The Fabelmans (Picture, Director, Supporting Actor x2, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Editing, Score)

7x:

Elvis (Picture, Actor, Editing, Production Design, Costume Design, Makeup and Hairstyling, Sound)

6x:

Tár (Picture, Director, Actress, Original Screenplay, Score, Sound)

Top Gun: Maverick (Picture, Cinematography, Editing, Song, Visual Effects, Sound)

5x:

The Son (Picture, Actor, Supporting Actress x2, Adapted Screenplay)

4x:

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (Costume Design, Makeup and Hairstyling, Score, Song)

Empire of Light (Picture, Actress, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay)

3x:

Pinocchio (Animated Feature, Song, Visual Effects)

The Whale (Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Makeup and Hairstyling)

2x:

The Batman (Makeup and Hairstyling, Score)

Nope (Cinematography, Visual Effects)
Turning Red (Animated Feature, Song)

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I don't think Avatar will get into Screenplay. The first didn't. Titanic didn't. I think that'll be a White Noise slot

needs to be a real masterpiece to get into screenplay, its hard, but nowhere near impossible

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

needs to be a real masterpiece to get into screenplay, its hard, but nowhere near impossible

I think it's borderline impossible. These films just rarely get into writing because the writing branch don't perceive them as such. Just look at Gravity and Mad Max. Dune is the exception but I think that's in large part to the legacy of the novel itself and how nearly unadaptable it is

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I think it's borderline impossible. These films just rarely get into writing because the writing branch don't perceive them as such. Just look at Gravity and Mad Max. Dune is the exception but I think that's in large part to the legacy of the novel itself and how nearly unadaptable it is

Dune was also co-written by Eric Roth, who is a big writer and got nominated multiple times before (I think all his BP nominated films got a screenplay nom).

30 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Dune was also co-written by Eric Roth, who is a big writer and got nominated multiple times before (I think all his BP nominated films got a screenplay nom).

Yeah I think Cameron is conceived by many as a terrible writer lol.

The branch will have a lot of actual writerly and dense works to choose from.. Women Talking, Killers of Flower Moon, The Son, White Noise and The Whale, She Said, etc

It was lulz when when District 9 got a screenplay nod over Avatar in 2009.  Not because it didn't deserve it, but because it made Avatar stans blue in the face.

And btw, Ex Machina and The Martian are two recent scifi films that got screenplay noms, so its not that rare.  But I don't think Cameron has written a particularly great screenplay since Terminator 2 and he seems more invested in pushing the tech stuff than anything.  My computers are bigger than yours.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

It was lulz when when District 9 got a screenplay nod over Avatar in 2009.  Not because it didn't deserve it, but because it made Avatar stans blue in the face.

And btw, Ex Machina and The Martian are two recent scifi films that got screenplay noms, so its not that rare.  But I don't think Cameron has written a particularly great screenplay since Terminator 2 and he seems more invested in pushing the tech stuff than anything.  My computers are bigger than yours.

But those sci-fi films weren't visual spectacles like Avatar, etc that were mostly seen as technical achievements. Both had serious plots and character development and structure. Martian was basically a procedural with intercutting courtroom dynamics

13 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Score:

1. Tár

2. The Batman

3. The Fabelmans

4. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

5. Babylon

Alt: Pinocchio (GDT

Don't think it will get it, but Turning Red also deserves consideration. Ludwig Göransson did a lot for the movie, including a special arrangement of the Nobody Like U song.

44 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

i am le big sad

I wonder if amazon will now try to rush Napoleon for this year, im also locking in a nom prediction for avatar in director

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

From Jordan Ruimy:

UPDATE: Source tells me “Deadline article is pure speculation. Nobody at Apple has confirmed that this film is being delayed, Marty and Thelma are still at work with no timeline.”

Amidst the great Venice lineup announcement today comes a bombshell of speculation courtesy of Deadline.

Martin Scorsese’s “Killers of the Flower Moon” will not be released in 2023, they say. Instead, it is eyeing a world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival next May. What?!

There was a rumor that 2023 might be an option for Scorsese’s film, then I was told December was the aim and that a marketing campaign was ready to go for the film. Did Scorsese and longtime editor Thelma Schoonmaker get cold feet? I’m not buying it.

I just can’t see Apple campaigning both Ridley Scott’s “Napoleon” and “Killers of the Flower Moon” next year. It’s one or the other.

It’s been said that Scott’s upcoming epic is eyeing next year’s Cannes with a summer release date soon after, but I just can’t see Scorsese’s film also going that route, sorry Deadline.

DEADLINE: You’ve had the Midas touch when it comes to Oscar movies in recent years. Which movies in the lineup do you think could pop with Academy voters?

BARBERA: There are a number. Tar for sure. Cate Blanchett is absolutely amazing. It’s a very ambitious film. Iñárritu is a contender again with Bardo. This is probably his most personal and ambitious film so far. Noah Baumbach’s film [The Whale] is also another contender and The Son will be in the Oscar conversation, I’m sure. I’m curious about the response to Blonde, we’ll see. Luca Guadagnino’s film [Bones And All] has a chance to feature in the race, as does Don’t Worry Darling.

https://deadline.com/2022/07/venice-harry-styles-timothee-chalamet-cate-blanchett-film-festival-interview-alberto-barbera-1235078163/

No idea why The Whale is in brackets and not White Noise for Baumbach

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

What are you quoting me with?

This isn't jordan Ruimy. Ruimy said the trailer was coming soon and film will be out by December

ahh lol whoops sorry I assumed you were referring to deadline.

7 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

DEADLINE: You’ve had the Midas touch when it comes to Oscar movies in recent years. Which movies in the lineup do you think could pop with Academy voters?

BARBERA: There are a number. Tar for sure. Cate Blanchett is absolutely amazing. It’s a very ambitious film. Iñárritu is a contender again with Bardo. This is probably his most personal and ambitious film so far. Noah Baumbach’s film [The Whale] is also another contender and The Son will be in the Oscar conversation, I’m sure. I’m curious about the response to Blonde, we’ll see. Luca Guadagnino’s film [Bones And All] has a chance to feature in the race, as does Don’t Worry Darling.

https://deadline.com/2022/07/venice-harry-styles-timothee-chalamet-cate-blanchett-film-festival-interview-alberto-barbera-1235078163/

No idea why The Whale is in brackets and not White Noise for Baumbach

impressive how absolutely nothing at all was said in those 6 lines

22 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

New predicts:

Reveal hidden contents

10x:

Everything Everywhere All at Once (Picture, Director, Actress, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Editing, Costume Design, Makeup and Hairstyling, Visual Effects, Sound)

9x:

Killers of the Flower Moon (Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Production Design, Costume Design)

8x:

Avatar: The Way of Water (Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, Visual Effects, Sound)

Babylon (Picture, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Production Design, Costume Design, Score)

The Fabelmans (Picture, Director, Supporting Actor x2, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Editing, Score)

7x:

Elvis (Picture, Actor, Editing, Production Design, Costume Design, Makeup and Hairstyling, Sound)

6x:

Top Gun: Maverick (Picture, Cinematography, Editing, Song, Visual Effects, Sound)

5x:

4x:

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (Costume Design, Makeup and Hairstyling, Score, Song)

3x:

The Whale (Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Makeup and Hairstyling)

2x:

Updated nom counts if KOTFM is indeed delayed :hahaha: 

10x:

Everything Everywhere All at Once (Picture, Director, Actress, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Editing, Production Design, Costume Design, Makeup and Hairstyling, Visual Effects, Sound)

8x:

7x:

6x:

5x:

4x:

The Whale (Actor, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Makeup and Hairstyling)

3x:

2x:

Bardo (Director, Cinematography)

The Northman (Cinematography, Production Design)

She Said (Picture, Adapted Screenplay)
White Noise (Actor, Adapted Screenplay)

• Like 1