filmlover

Best Picture Predictions: 2022

32 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Jordan Ruimy thinks Apple is likely to swap out Killers of the Flower Moon for Napoleon this year

If Killers of the Flower Moon actually does get booted to 2023, that has big implications across a ton of categories. It’ll make 2022 even more interesting than it already was. But I’m not counting on it until Apple makes it official.

Edited by SLAM!

A24’s drama film God’s Creatures enters the awards race following its Cannes premiere; most likely nominations are Emily Watson (Lead Actress) and Paul Mescal (Supporting Actor), with potential buzz present for Director, Supporting Actress (Aisling Franciosi), Screenplay, and Score (which was made by the composers of Ozark) if the film takes off.

Edited by SLAM!

22 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I want to see how that score will change with more than just five reviews. The twitter reactions made me think the score would be higher than that, and more reviews would help the score climb up a little. Regardless, this film’s above-the-line Oscar chances face an uphill battle.

Edited by SLAM!

3 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Seems like Decision To Leave is the only cannes movie so far people consider to be greeat

I'm seeing so many headlines of seemingly every movie getting several minute standing ovations at Cannes this year that it's hard to tell what the standouts are lol. Usually there's at least one movie that inspires boos there. Can't decide if all the awfulness in the world these past few years has rubbed off even on that crowd into being nicer going forward or if they're just liking everything they're seeing for the most part this year.

3 hours ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

I, again, would really like to know what in god name is Disney doing with Searchlight theatrically. Not freaking hulu. 

The Banshees of Inisherin and The Menu are so far the only ones with dates for the fourth quarter so those seem to be their bets at the moment (even though the latter doesn't quite sound like something up the Academy's alley lol). If I had to guess Poor Things will be receiving the late Christmas limited bow followed by January expansion unless Disney's putting all of their December resources behind Avatar.

19 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Seems like Decision To Leave is the only cannes movie so far people consider to be greeat

im taking that statement back, non-english speakers dont like it that much

Showing up might get great reviews, but the majority will find it un-interesting, up to broker or the stars at noon to give us an oscar player me thinks

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

Top Gun still the cannes movie with the highest average score on Rotten Tomatoes

Up to broker to knoch it down to 2

Is there any reason why it wasn't in competition?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Is there any reason why it wasn't in competition?

It’s easier for big budget films to get a Cannes splash without the competition part of it. If people are able to say, “the big budget film lost the Palme d’Or to such and such art film,” that could add a stigma against the film. Also, they may have submitted the film for competition, but it’s ultimately up to the selection committee on where they want to put the film in their program.

Also, I bet the put big budget stuff out of the competition out of respect for the smaller art stuff so that the big budget isn’t taking a spot away from an art film. That didn’t stop Cannes from premiering Shrek and Shrek 2 in competition way back when, but nowadays, I think it could.

Edited by SLAM!

wow, broker getting rough reviews (relative to expectations)

seems like something about it offended some critics + others say its a bit derivative

edit: seems like they're hating on what they perceive to be an anti-abortion message

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

Triangle of Sadness won the Palme d'Or and Broker best actor for Song Kang-ho. Both are distributed by Neon in the US so will presumably get an Oscar push, although neither has overwhelming Drive My Car-level acclaim that would make them serious contenders. James Gray has now been in competition 5 times and has won nothing but Armageddon Time's initial reception seems solid enough that maybe he can finally break into the Oscars especially since for once he's got a distributor that won't bury his movie.

• Like 1