Eric Prime

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

58m OD sounds nice for The Batman, best comparisons out there for me are Spidey Homecoming for the reboot factor and Batman Begins for the reboot/Batman/somehow depressed tone. None of them set the world on fire on OW.

130-140m OW and probaby 350m DOM are very good numbers for this.

• Like 4

First off, 55m gets it to 115m OW minimum unless Twilight legs suddenly apply to all RPatz movies. Second off, if it is mildly disappointing, my theory has always been that it doesn't have any big "cheer" or "applaud" moments at all and that is clearly what drives the mega superhero movies these days. The movie actively billed itself as a dark, self-contained thriller for adults. I can absolutely see how some of the typical superhero OW audience is not going for that. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

First off, 55m gets it to 115m OW minimum unless Twilight legs suddenly apply to all RPatz movies. Second off, if it is mildly disappointing, my theory has always been that it doesn't have any big "cheer" or "applaud" moments at all and that is clearly what drives the mega superhero movies these days. The movie actively billed itself as a dark, self-contained thriller for adults. I can absolutely see how some of the typical superhero OW audience is not going for that. 

Yeah, I got ganged up for saying it but really, the MCU model perfected/mastered the formula general audiences want for blockbusters. As you mention, the cheer factor and applause. I still maintain this isn’t some completely inaccessible dirge but it’s not a broad crowdpleaser with memes and viral reactions. Sometimes we’ll get a hit along those lines like Nolan or Dune which is sold directly off the IMAX experience, but in terms of superhero movies, Avengers changed the game. I don’t even mean it necessarily negatively but the MCU fanbase is just next level loyal and rabid in a way that DC seemingly can’t be, even with Batman… which remains a bit strange to me, but yeah 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Yeah, I got ganged up for saying it but really, the MCU model perfected/mastered the formula general audiences want for blockbusters. As you mention, the cheer factor and applause. I still maintain this isn’t some completely inaccessible dirge but it’s not a broad crowdpleaser with memes and viral reactions. Sometimes we’ll get a hit along those lines like Nolan or Dune which is sold directly off the IMAX experience, but in terms of superhero movies, Avengers changed the game. I don’t even mean it necessarily negatively but the MCU fanbase is just next level loyal and rabid in a way that DC seemingly can’t be, even with Batman… which remains a bit strange to me, but yeah 

The MCU is there most impressive cinematic achievement in history by a wide margin, and it COULD be the most impressive entertainment achievement ever as well. 

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 1

DC has Wonder Woman doing over 800M, Aquaman doing over a billion, Joker a billion,, Sony has Venom doing big money even before they tried to hang on on the MCU, people need to stop in denial that it's a "MCU VS DC" thing.

Does Ant-man movies open with 200M or I missed something?

This Batman is not even opening bad but the amount of excuses is hilarious, this is the people that tried to fool themselves that The Batman hype was anywhere close to No Way Home or Avengers.

Edited by Fox20
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

The MCU is there most impressive cinematic achievement in history by a wide margin, and it COULD be the most impressive entertainment achievement ever as well. 

The artistic merits of it can be debated of course and its impact but it's an undeniable achievement in logistics at the very least. The longevity is unprecedented 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

DC has Wonder Woman doing over 800M, Aquaman doing over a billion, Joker a billion,, Sony has Venom doing big money even before they tried to hang on on the MCU, people need to stop in denial that it's a "MCU VS DC" thing.

Does Ant-man movies open with 200M or I missed something?

This Batman is not even opening bad but the amount of excuses is hilarious, this is the people that tried to fool themselves that The Batman hype was anywhere close to No Way Home or Avengers.

Who is making an excuse? Do you wait for me to post something about the MCU? The majority of users here never had Batman on the level of NWH or Avengers. Your precious MCU is fine regardless what I post on an anonymous box office forum. CMaster's post about Batman lacking the applause moments that make the MCU blockbusters as big as they are was a good point

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

I tend to believe 58m fake Friday because the higher the better. That would mean 40m true Friday. Really wonder how Saturday will play out since both beauty and the beast and captain marvel managed to grow from true Friday as march tend to have big Saturday gross. But even logan, less family friendly R rated can have bigger Saturday than true Friday , maybe it is not too much to ask batman to at least stay unchanged for Saturday or even 10% growth for 130m opening

115-135M is incredibly disappointing! This was supposed to be DC’s year! But it’s off to a bad start! The Batman can’t even compete with Marvel C-listers anymore, what hope do Black Adam and Flash have! 

DC is a dead brand thanks to WB…sucks to be a DC fan sometimes 

• Haha 7
  • ...wtf 6

5 minutes ago, El Gato said:

At least you are getting films made.  And critically acclaimed with sequels on tap, for that matter.  Some fan bases aren't in as a privileged position.

So count your blessings, as it were.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3

@excel1 @BestPicturePlutoNash

Boys. booooooys. Do you see an MCU movie opening this weekend? Is there an MCU TV show happening this weekend? So why are we talking about the MCU in the weekend thread?

We can talk all about how amazing the MCU is the first week in May! But for now, no one cares. Not even like, me super MCU fan, cares. Thank you. Thank you so much.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

At least you are getting films made.  And critically acclaimed with sequels on tap, for that matter.

oh now you all made his MAD

😂😂😂

There’s a very quick solution to all of this nonsense happening right now. I can just close the thread until comScore comes back online. But let’s not go there yet!!

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, El Gato said:

115-135M is incredibly disappointing! This was supposed to be DC’s year! But it’s off to a bad start! The Batman can’t even compete with Marvel C-listers anymore, what hope do Black Adam and Flash have! 

Sometimes I'm confused if what I'm reading in this forum are troll coments or if they actually think that way.

Perfect example this post.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

At least you are getting films made.  And critically acclaimed with sequels on tap, for that matter.  Some fan bases aren't in as a privileged position.

For how much longer though? If Batman can barley get 115M what chances do Flash, Black Adam, Shazam and Blue Beetle have? 

4 of the last films have been flops/disappointments from DC (Shazam, BOP, WW84, TSS). What good is critical acclaim if nobody cares. 

If you asked a frat boy film student the kind of Batman movie he'd wanna make, he'd say "3 hours long, super dark like Fincher, and a detective story." 

The days of filmmakers who knew who to make smart but entertaining blockbusters are behind us. That includes the bore that was Nolan's trilogy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2