The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread (3/18-20) | Weekend Actuals: Batman 36.7, Jujutsu Kaisen 17.7, Uncharted 7.8, X 4.4, Dog 4

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

The "next Julia Roberts" turned into a combination of people. Witherspoon in the early 2000s was probably the closest thing and even that was really short lived. Dunst was no doubt the biggest young actress of the early 2000s. Rachel McAdams then took it over for a bit. Then there was a gap. Then Jennifer Lawrence was huge for a minute. Since then, its been with...nobody.

Margot Robbie is arguably the biggest young actress in the industry right now. Harley Quinn, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, 2 Oscar nominations, and a slew of notable projects in the pipeline including the latest movies from David O. Russell, Damien Chazelle, and Greta Gerwig. Barbie in particular sounds like it's probably going to be her biggest "star vehicle" test to date.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Margot Robbie is arguably the biggest young actress in the industry right now. Harley Quinn, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, 2 Oscar nominations, and a slew of notable projects in the pipeline including the latest movies from David O. Russell, Damien Chazelle, and Greta Gerwig. Barbie in particular sounds like it's probably going to be her biggest "star vehicle" test to date.

The biggest issue for most of the "next Julia Roberts" contenders is just that romcoms are no longer made by Hollywood. Those were the movies in which the leading ladies were pretty much always the stars, leading to increased name recognition and Star power. 

And the one genre that CBMs don't seem to get into is romcom as well. They will do their approximation of every other genre but romcoms.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The biggest issue for most of the "next Julia Roberts" contenders is just that romcoms are no longer made by Hollywood. Those were the movies in which the leading ladies were pretty much always the stars, leading to increased name recognition and Star power. 

And the one genre that CBMs don't seem to get into is romcom as well. They will do their approximation of every other genre but romcoms.

Closest we got to a CBM Romcom is probably Deadpool

• Like 1

Hmm that's an interesting observation. It's obvious how little passion and sexuality and romance is in mainstream film today, but still, the superhero genre has made many subgenre films (Guardians is space opera, The Batman is a noir, etc) but I just noticed..yeah Deadpool 1 is the closest to a romcom.. which is strange! 

You'd think at least one would have packaged itself as a romcom. Especially when the Raimi Spider-man focused so much on the MJ romance

A lot of the young Hollywood stars in the 00s all seemed drugged out and partying. Plus the rise of reality tv overshadowed alot of things in pop culture. This is why those young actors of the time seemed to have been forgotten. Popular Entertainment shifted as we entered the 2010s to franchise/fandom driven media and thus we had more young actors enter the fray which were bankable and still relevant now. I’m talking about the Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattenson and Jennifer Lawrence etc Even the Harry Potter kids are still making films. Their fan bases are very strong and passionate that’s probably why they will always get work even as most of them settle into their 30s/40s

• Like 1

4 hours ago, excel1 said:

-Clooney was definitely famous but yes, it is tough to say that he was a true A-list draw. Seemingly every film he tried to carry on his own flopped. 

-Tatum is about 1/10th as big of a draw as Bullock. Tatum pretty much took over the "likable heartthrob with appeal to both women and men" role in Hollywood after Josh Hartnett disappeared. He was in a handful of modestly popular films (Dear John, Magic Mike 1, both Jump Street movies, GI Joe) though he has no truly iconic role. He tried a bit of drama (Foxcatcher) and had 1 massive flop (Jupiter Ascending). He is a name but his girl fanbase is mostly in their late 20s/30s now. 

So basically you've never looked up those film's grosses? Modestly popular?

6 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Can Margot Robbie sell a movie? She’s a star but I wouldn’t say she’s a draw necessarily. Birds of Prey did pretty terribly, to say nothing of TSS

To be fair, those movies obviously had plenty of baggage that accompanied them given the reception of the first Suicide Squad movie. Barbie sounds like it's going to be for her what Cruella was for Emma Stone where the draw is seeing her play an iconic character.

• Like 1

Rachel McAdams could’ve had a bigger career if she wanted it but I think she likes being more low key. Still think her one-two punch of Mean Girls and The Notebook in 2004 as her Hollywood debut was legendary

Edited by snarkmachine
  • Like 5

The next rom-com queen was shaping up to be Katherine Heigl but she publicly trashed her hit TV show and one of her biggest movies, burning bridges in the industry and with fans. The market turned to franchises and young actresses got their big paydays there in the last decade instead of rom-coms.  The quality went down and it was a lot of Love Actually wannabes before studios largely gave up on the genre and the cable networks/streamers started dominating it.

• Like 2

Now that Hollywood has sort of adjusted to streaming/social media and gen Z begins to drive movie sales, I can actually see some "movie stars" emerge. Timothee Chalamet is popular among gen Z and is set to be in Dune and Wonka next year, which should help him blow up even more. Then there's people like Zendaya, Florence Pugh, Anya Taylor Joy,  Saoirse Ronan, the Euphoria people. Tom Holland is one that is popular among Gen Z as well. We'll see if they have any staying power though. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence  still seem bigger then her to me. She gets their scraps.  And again all of these actresses got popular in the 2010s and are poised to have very long careers if they keep picking the right projects. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I'll never forget when Papa Feige or whoever said Ant-Man and the Wasp was a superhero romantic comedy. Gets funnier every passing day

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, babz06 said:

Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence  still seem bigger then her to me. She gets their scraps. 

I'll give you Stone but it does seem like Lawrence's starpower has cooled in recent years between Passengers ending up a no1curr movie followed by the major audience rejection of mother! and Red Sparrow being a nonstarter. Her last studio movie was...Dark Phoenix, yikes. It seems like motherhood is going to be a bigger priority going forward so we'll see what the future has in store.

10 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The next rom-com queen was shaping up to be Katherine Heigl but she publicly trashed her hit TV show and one of her biggest movies, burning bridges in the industry and with fans. The market turned to franchises and young actresses got their big paydays there in the last decade instead of rom-coms.  The quality went down and it was a lot of Love Actually wannabes before studios largely gave up on the genre and the cable networks/streamers started dominating it.

I miss Heigl. She was good. I really liked her acting. She was a natural on screen

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Now that Hollywood has sort of adjusted to streaming/social media and gen Z begins to drive movie sales, I can actually see some "movie stars" emerge. Timothee Chalamet is popular among gen Z and is set to be in Dune and Wonka next year, which should help him blow up even more. Then there's people like Zendaya, Florence Pugh, Anya Taylor Joy,  Saoirse Ronan, the Euphoria people. Tom Holland is one that is popular among Gen Z as well. We'll see if they have any staying power though. 

Now why would you put Saoirse Ronan in the same sentence as the actors on Euphoria 😭

The Euphoria cast minus Zendaya are exactly the type of flash-in-the-pan people that disappear after their hit show ends. Saoirse Ronan has four Oscar nominations at the age of 25

Edited by snarkmachine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Now why would you put Saoirse Ronan in the same sentence as the actors on Euphoria 😭

The Euphoria cast minus Zendaya are exactly the type of flash-in-the-pan people that disappear after their hit show ends. Saoirse Ronan has four Oscar nominations at the age of 25

I don’t see longevity from euphoria cast either. Even Zendaya is still questionable considering she hasn’t had many lead film roles. 

Edited by babz06